Baa Baas game called off - Players charged by RFU

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Baa Baas game called off

Post by JP14 »

Whilst Robshaw & Co were total idiots, doesn't mean they should be getting unnecessary abuse which is what I think EJ is referring to.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

JP14 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:57 pm Whilst Robshaw & Co were total idiots, doesn't mean they should be getting unnecessary abuse which is what I think EJ is referring to.
In this case the definition of the words, abuse and unnecessary will vary a lot between various posters, some would regard disembowelment as actually being the minimum punishment they deserve, where others regard calling them thoughtless twerps as being abusive.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The mistake they made was not using the time out of the hotel to test their eyesight.

Personally i think they deserve a lot of ridicule rather than abuse.
Last edited by Wayne Richardson Fan Club on Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:55 pm The mistake they made was not using the time our of the hotel to test their eyesight.

Personally i think they deserve a lot of ridicule rather than abuse.
I feel for the people who needed this game to go ahead. How many more grassroots clubs could be kept afloat with the few million the RFU would have been getting. How many extra RFU employees may end up redundant.

Whilst I don't condone any abuse, the players involved need to answer hard questions and do more than put out PR statements on social media.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:52 am Let's not get carried away. They haven't broken the law. It's still legal to book 2 tables of 6 in a restaurant. And it's still legal to go the pub.

Yes, they've been incredibly stupid, but the main reason you play for the barbarians is the camaraderie with the rest of the squad that you don't get in a normal squad.
I think the camaraderie argument was lost when the Saracens 12 decided to go out on their own, rather than spend time with the players they didn’t know eg the Fijians.

I am all for punishing them.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Confirmed , no police investigation into players actions :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54710268
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

kk20gb30 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:19 pm Confirmed , no police investigation into players actions :

Am I cynical to think things might be different if players from the North were involved.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:26 pm
kk20gb30 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:19 pm Confirmed , no police investigation into players actions :

Am I cynical to think things might be different if players from the North were involved.
Police have said they aren't retrospectively investigating any but the most serious breaches of the law. i.e. they didn't catch them at the time and it's not a 200 person party so they're not investigating. The police are VERY clear in their statement in making sure that despite no investigation they are not saying that it was legal what they did, only that they aren't investigating this incident.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Guess we will now see whether either England or the Barbarians are going to take the matter further. Civil actions are often held back until any criminal action is concluded and with the police now not taking matters further, we will see if either of the teams are interested in pursuing action for the financial losses.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Noggs wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:59 pm I trust it will be a cold day in hell the next time any are picked to play international rugby. There is no excuse for such collective stupidity.

Compare this with the weeks of isolation of the England and visiting cricket teams plus support staff, commentators, etc. over the summer. They were arranging games evenings to keep themselves amused and having takeaways brought in to mix up the food options. In other words they made the sacrifices necessary to play international sport in a pandemic.
Also remember all the staff who were booked to work the event, I am lucky I have a full time job so missing this event was a welcome day off for me. But many of the staff are self employed and have not be able to work so have been relying on event work to pay their bills, also many of the cameramen etc are self employed so also miss out on a days pay.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Wes

Post by Wes »

I was listening to the Good / Bad / Rugby Podcast, apparently the players were allowed (within their contracts) to go out to the park, to go to a coffee shop in the park and if English, to go to their families as well. The comparison to the cricket teams is valid, that's how I think it should have been, but the players were not asked to do that...
If that's the case, the 'bubble' is utter tosh and this has been seriously mismanaged. Yes, they broke their behaviour contracts and that's wrong but did they actually put more risk in than the contracts allowed? It could well be that there's virtually no additional risk.
I only live there to wind up the population!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I feel for Heyes, yes he would have gained a lot from being in the camp but nothing can trump the experience of an (albeit non-capped) international test match.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Wes wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:53 am I was listening to the Good / Bad / Rugby Podcast, apparently the players were allowed (within their contracts) to go out to the park, to go to a coffee shop in the park and if English, to go to their families as well. The comparison to the cricket teams is valid, that's how I think it should have been, but the players were not asked to do that...
If that's the case, the 'bubble' is utter tosh and this has been seriously mismanaged. Yes, they broke their behaviour contracts and that's wrong but did they actually put more risk in than the contracts allowed? It could well be that there's virtually no additional risk.
Regardless of what was or was not acceptable (and without view of the contracts we will never know for sure) their selfish actions resulted directly in the cancellation of the game with all the resulting consequences for all involved. It is simply not an acceptable way to behave.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

https://www.skysports.com/share/12117963

RFU charges 13 Barbarians for Covid breach
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:14 pm https://www.skysports.com/share/12117963

RFU charges 13 Barbarians for Covid breach
Charges include lying to the RFU investigation too