Now playing at Mattioli Woods Welford Rd

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Now playing at Mattioli Woods Welford Rd

Post by Crofty »

Not surprising, given what's going on with the world right now and how it's affecting the club but still feels a bit wrong.

My hope is that it's a five year thing to keep the club safe and, when the rights deal ends we'll go back to how things were.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Now playing at Mattioli Woods Welford Rd

Post by RagingBull »

Nothing ever goes back.
By 5 years it will be the norm and unless we get a sugar daddy it will most likely stay.

Personally I’m not too fussed it’s still has welford road in the name at least.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I really don't understand why people get so upset by this, nothing changes for the fans really, we still call it Welford Road but the club makes money
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Thank goodness it still has Welford road in the name.

I think uf it keeps the club afloat without any more reductions in staff then I actually think it's probably quite vital.

Key is have we got enough out of the deal. It's the most expensive bit of branding we have. Need it to keep us going for a while!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We get much needed money and financial security (it’s a five year deal) and the name Welford Road is retained, I can’t see an issue with it!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Not ideal but we need the cash. At least it's a Leicester company who's headquarters are within sight pretty much of the ground.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Welford Road is still in the name, everyone will still call it Welford Road apart from those that contractually have to use the full name. The club gets some money to stay afloat and hopefully avoid further cuts or redundancies.

Win win. Good decision.
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

That was close.

Two days after calling the new puppy Welford...
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Been thinking about this today. Can anyone with a commercial background enlighten me as to how much naming rights would be worth to the club?

Whilst financially we’re not in the same league as football, naming rights for football stadia can be astronomical. If, as rumoured, we’re bleeding 1MIL a month, you’d have to think that it would be a hefty sum over the 5 year agreement.

For what it’s worth, while not ideal, I’m happy with the announcement if it keeps the club afloat.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Based on the rhetoric spouted on here all too frequently, I'm surprised that there's not been considerable vocal opposition to today's announcement on here.

For what it's worth, as several have said already, it's a necessary step to help keep the club afloat. Good move by the CEO (IMHO)
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Really pleased with the agreement.
Those who don’t think it is surely cannot have Tigers’ interests at heart!

Well done to everyone involved on both sides.

Thanks Ian Mattioli for bringing some much needed good news and backing to the club. We had already renewed our season tickets but were worried about Tigers’ chances of moving forward without decent backers.
Brilliant news.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerMac3 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:16 pm Been thinking about this today. Can anyone with a commercial background enlighten me as to how much naming rights would be worth to the club?

Whilst financially we’re not in the same league as football, naming rights for football stadia can be astronomical. If, as rumoured, we’re bleeding 1MIL a month, you’d have to think that it would be a hefty sum over the 5 year agreement.

For what it’s worth, while not ideal, I’m happy with the announcement if it keeps the club afloat.
You'd hope either a high six figure sum per annum or if very lucky a low seven figure sum. Premier League seems to have the "big 6" being able to command £10-25m per year with the rest about £20m between them (given some clubs obviously haven't sold them).
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

When all said and done it is finance for The Club and it has to be welcomed.These are hard and perilous times for many sporting organisations and if this deal helps us in any way,shape or form then personally I'm all for it.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Well balanced, sensible and pragmatic replies? What the hell is going on with this forum!! :smt005
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Its an incredible deal - having experienced months with little or no income and staring at a good few more ahead, imagine being able to count on a local sponsor to support the business in this way - we are very lucky and anyone who has negative things to say about this deal is incredibly short sighted...
Less is more....