Now playing at Mattioli Woods Welford Rd

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Now playing at Mattioli Woods Welford Rd

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:25 am In related news, I have just seen the new London Irish kit and one of their new sponsors is the Cayman Islands Department of Tourism, sounds a bit dodgy :smt003...
TripAdvisor Traveller's Choice #1 - and of course those offices wherein thousands of companies worldwide have their headquarters (genteel cough) :smt025
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:31 am
JP14 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:25 am In related news, I have just seen the new London Irish kit and one of their new sponsors is the Cayman Islands Department of Tourism, sounds a bit dodgy :smt003...
TripAdvisor Traveller's Choice #1 - and of course those offices wherein thousands of companies worldwide have their headquarters (genteel cough) :smt025
Another example of debatable morals at Irish.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Smudger67S
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Smudger67S »

You say everyone will still use Welford Road.
I thought the same with Landsdowne Road when it was renamed to the Aviva Stadium, no one now refers to it by its original name.
If at first you don't succeed .............. then skydiving isnt for you!!!!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Smudger67S wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:29 pm You say everyone will still use Welford Road.
I thought the same with Landsdowne Road when it was renamed to the Aviva Stadium, no one now refers to it by its original name.
I disagree, based on three reasons

1. Most of my Irish mates call it Landsdowne Road. In the same way non Leciester fans may heavily use Mattioli Woods, yet our fans will keep using Welford Road. (You can hear the odd player interview refer to it as Landsdowne Road when they forget the sponsor name)

2. Landsdowne Road was actually demolished, the new stadium built on it's site is the Aviva stadium. It is a completely different stadium and they chose to give it a different name, due to who helped pay a massive chunk of it.

3. Welford Road is still part of our official stadium name. "Aviva Stadium" is the full name of the stadium.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

To be honest, I still call the wendyball ground Filbert Street ... confuses all the youngsters. Can’t see me using Mattioli Woods in my lifetime. However, I do think this is a sound and good move - a much needed tonic financially - so fair play to Mattioli Woods.
TiltonTiger wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:51 pm That was close.

Two days after calling the new puppy Welford...
My dog is also named Welford - I have tried to explain to him that his new name is Mattioli Wood Welford. Not going well and he is asking for a share of the sponsorship ... paid in dog biscuits obviously.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:42 am It is not a bit of history gone, history does not go the fact it has happened means it remains the same. This is the start of a new history. Frankly as someone else pointed out I never say I am going to Welford Road, I say I am going to the Tigers. Living in Knighton with the Welford Road just round the corner to use a road name would be confusing, unlike the days when I said I was going to Filbert Street that only had one meaning, watching Arthur Rowley, Jimmy Walsh, Derek Dougan, Gordon Banks etc.
This deal hopefully means a small change that ensures that in years to come people will still be able to watch Tigers.
Agreed, change doesn't erase history, it just ensures that history can continue to be made. It's not a little bit of history lost, it's a little bit of the future saved.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

A random post, but on the back of Mattioli Woods becoming the sponsors of the stadium, I wonder if the club could make some more money by selling the licensing rights of WR to the developers of Rugby Challenge 4?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni