Now playing at Mattioli Woods Welford Rd

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Now playing at Mattioli Woods Welford Rd

Post by JP14 »

I would be interested to know how much this deal is worth, but I'm well aware we will probably never know.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
bendy

Post by bendy »

I'm in-line with the general consensus here - seems like a smart commercial move for the club and will make zero difference to the fans. If I think about it, I barely use the name of the stadium at all ("Where are you off to later?" - "to see Tigers / to watch the rugby") so I can't see it making a massive difference to my day to day life.

A slight side question - I may have missed this, but if M&W are keeping the naming rights to the East stand, will H&B still name the ummm... Holland & Barret stand? Or now that they've gone, is this stand currently nameless?
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I am absolutely outraged ........

I'll get me coat.. :smt009
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

I don't think that anyone who is against the idea fails to understand why it's been done however in the long term it's another little bit of history gone. As was said early on, once these things happen they never unhappen and although Mattioli Woods have kept Welford Road in the name who's to say the next lot will? It just wouldn't feel right to be going to watch a game at say Home Bargains Field or Lidl Arena for example.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It gets the sponsors name in the news, reports and TV more than naming a stand or banners around the ground.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

It is not a bit of history gone, history does not go the fact it has happened means it remains the same. This is the start of a new history. Frankly as someone else pointed out I never say I am going to Welford Road, I say I am going to the Tigers. Living in Knighton with the Welford Road just round the corner to use a road name would be confusing, unlike the days when I said I was going to Filbert Street that only had one meaning, watching Arthur Rowley, Jimmy Walsh, Derek Dougan, Gordon Banks etc.
This deal hopefully means a small change that ensures that in years to come people will still be able to watch Tigers.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:42 am It is not a bit of history gone, history does not go the fact it has happened means it remains the same. This is the start of a new history. Frankly as someone else pointed out I never say I am going to Welford Road, I say I am going to the Tigers. Living in Knighton with the Welford Road just round the corner to use a road name would be confusing, unlike the days when I said I was going to Filbert Street that only had one meaning, watching Arthur Rowley, Jimmy Walsh, Derek Dougan, Gordon Banks etc.
This deal hopefully means a small change that ensures that in years to come people will still be able to watch Tigers.
Agreed. I do say "I'm off to Twickers..........." But I don't think I have ever said "I am off to the Welford Road Stadium" on Saturday. Nor do is say "travelling down to the Stoop Memorial Ground", "I'm going to see the Quins game, or Barf......." If the money keeps the club afloat then its good by me. I just want to see the team playing as a team.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

This is well worth a watch and tells you much about the company and the man.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/lt ... ial-201019
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

So, I feel that the club is progressive forward thinking and "Future proofing" for the fans and community.
Mattioli Woods - Local. Topps tiles -Local. Next -Local Notts Building Society - Local ish. Next - Local. Foxes -Local
What's not to get excited about. All with links to the community - putting into the community.

Can we really be posturing over the name of the ground MWWR. Its still there in the title.
Question do you go" to the Tigers" or do you go to "Welford Road".
do you go "to The city" or do you go to "KING Power"
Evolution people - not revolution.................Where did I hear that.........? Very informative and constructive interview. True fan.
The future is bright.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

You have to hand it to those at the club for saving this for a time like now. :smt038
I read some of the comments on faceplant, some of those people need to get out a bit more.
I'd blame Covid and all this lockdown stuff but they were already that miserable.
They need to get their priorities sorted, and save the outrage for really serious issues such as a potential shortage of smokey bacon flavour crisps.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

BFG wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:35 pm You have to hand it to those at the club for saving this for a time like now. :smt038
I read some of the comments on faceplant, some of those people need to get out a bit more.
I'd blame Covid and all this lockdown stuff but they were already that miserable.
They need to get their priorities sorted, and save the outrage for really serious issues such as a potential shortage of smokey bacon flavour crisps.
Hear, hear. They are giving us money when they don't have to and when no-one will visit the stadium so publicity is minimal. I, for one, shall be availing myself of their services as I have a spare fifteen pounds seven shillings to invest (nearly)
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I may be able to help you in rounding it up to £20. Round figures are always more attractive for investors or so I've heard :smt040
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

bendy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:39 am I'm in-line with the general consensus here - seems like a smart commercial move for the club and will make zero difference to the fans. If I think about it, I barely use the name of the stadium at all ("Where are you off to later?" - "to see Tigers / to watch the rugby") so I can't see it making a massive difference to my day to day life.

A slight side question - I may have missed this, but if M&W are keeping the naming rights to the East stand, will H&B still name the ummm... Holland & Barret stand? Or now that they've gone, is this stand currently nameless?
H&B stand is open to naming offers according to our CEO last night....any big local firms left?

At least we keep the WR bit for the ground name, the history is retained, think new Wendyball ground names as an alternative.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:23 pm
bendy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:39 am I'm in-line with the general consensus here - seems like a smart commercial move for the club and will make zero difference to the fans. If I think about it, I barely use the name of the stadium at all ("Where are you off to later?" - "to see Tigers / to watch the rugby") so I can't see it making a massive difference to my day to day life.

H&B stand is open to naming offers according to our CEO last night....any big local firms left?

At least we keep the WR bit for the ground name, the history is retained, think new Wendyball ground names as an alternative.
Walkers? Triumph?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

In related news, I have just seen the new London Irish kit and one of their new sponsors is the Cayman Islands Department of Tourism, sounds a bit dodgy :smt003...