Ellis Genge comments on 'Outdated Playing Contracts'

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Ellis Genge comments on 'Outdated Playing Contracts'

Post by kk20gb30 »

Makes thought provoking reading.It appears that some things remain locked in time.
Do wonder though as with many things , but for Covid would situations like this even be highlighted ?

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/ellis-ge ... contracts/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: Ellis Genge comments on 'Outdated Playing Contracts'

Post by Noggs »

An interesting insight. It wouldn't be that expensive to have a prototype contract draw up for discussion.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Interesting, I do wonder if some of the none International level "squad players" would be so keen though. Any new approach would need to be considered from all angles presuming both good and bad faith from both sides I would suggest. I wonder what sort of changes Ellis would want though, and what ramifications they might have for the club, e.g. if he wanted the freedom to pursue his own endorsement deals and chose Porcelainosa I think our new club main sponsor might not be so happy (this example would have been better 6 months ago when Holland & Barratt were using the club to promote their own brand of weightgain 4000, but you get the point).
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Noggs wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:13 am An interesting insight. It wouldn't be that expensive to have a prototype contract draw up for discussion.
I don't think he's asking for a new template. He wants tailored contracts for different players which does become a lot more expensive. Genge makes the comparison with soccer but star players there earn more in a week than star rugby players earn in a year.

To say the standard form contract hasn't changed for decades is wrong. It may be evolution rather than revolution but it has certainly changed over the years.

The standard contact is actually just a base that can certainly have clauses varied. Schedule 4 (unless it has changed) even lists where the variations are to make it easier to check bespoke updates.

If Genge wants 3 m&ms and blue kittens in the changing room it can certainly be inserted into the standard contract if he can agree it with the other side of the table. Alternatively, if he wants it in his own bespoke contract, I'm sure that can be agreed as long as he pays the club's additional legal fees for checking and approving additional documents.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I'm sure, as h's dad says, existing contracts can be varied (time off to visit family abroad or whatever) but a strength of the current system is everyone is on the same basic contract and everyone else knows it. I am sure this makes for a quieter, less stressed dressing room with less room for jealous speculation.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

So are all professional rugby player contracts all using exactly the same template, across all clubs?
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:39 pm So are all professional rugby player contracts all using exactly the same template, across all clubs?
I'm sure they are not obliged to and I expect most if not all clubs will have their own standard variations as a starting point, but the basic template is agreed by PRL, RPA & RFU.
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:33 pm I'm sure, as h's dad says, existing contracts can be varied (time off to visit family abroad or whatever) but a strength of the current system is everyone is on the same basic contract and everyone else knows it. I am sure this makes for a quieter, less stressed dressing room with less room for jealous speculation.
...the problem comes when one player believes he brings more to the team or players are not pulling their weight.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Redstripeman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:46 pm
Old Hob wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:33 pm I'm sure, as h's dad says, existing contracts can be varied (time off to visit family abroad or whatever) but a strength of the current system is everyone is on the same basic contract and everyone else knows it. I am sure this makes for a quieter, less stressed dressing room with less room for jealous speculation.
...the problem comes when one player believes he brings more to the team or players are not pulling their weight.
At that point the wording in the contract is the least of your worries.