Bye Bye Boris

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Bye Bye Boris

Post by johnthegriff »

Wiggy was never scrum coach for us.he was an England coach under Johnson and Lancaster and did coach the Lions, my thinking is that Borthwick is Head Coach with responsibilities beyond just coaching the forwards, there may be an opportunity to bring in experience that covers more than simply the scrum and is greater help in other areas of the pitch.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Ah apologies, according to his Munster bio he was Forwards Coach for Tigers. So yes, I'm sure he would in fact be delighted to return to a Tigers for a lesser role than he had 13 years ago, after only joining Munster a year ago.

It would be great if he did, but you have to admit it is very unlikely...
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Apparently Castro being lined up as a replacement!!!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

baz1664 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:08 am Apparently Castro being lined up as a replacement!!!
I've also posted this on the LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope thread:

https://www.ruck.co.uk/martin-castrogio ... er-tigers/

Yes, it's The Ruck but they are quoting The Rugby Paper (which I don't get so cannot verify).
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I would be very surprised if Castro came back to Tigers. His departing from Tigers was fraught and bitter, albeit Cockers has since departed. I cannt see why he would come back to the UK when he appears to have a decent life, post rugby living in Rome unless fiscally its seriously worth his while ?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Apologies to Tiglon. Graham Roundtree retired from playing in 2007 and apparently did join our coaching staff briefly, taking an England role before the 6 Nations in 2008. He is currently a Forwards/scrum coach so I would not see his appointment as a backward move but probably not a promotion either.
Castro? Personally I would be surprised, great player, great bloke but there is some history with the club that is not so good. However there is now no Cocker, no Simon Cohen and no Ged Glynn so maybe there is no longer any ill feeling.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Personally, I don't think any former Tigers are likely. They are all either too inexperienced and too long out of the sport, or too experienced to be likely to be interested.

The club have shown they are willing to look overseas for coaches, so I wouldn't be surprised by a Rob Taylor type appointment of someone we've never heard of.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Oh no! Totally gutted at this news, and not cobfused any more. :smt022
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:57 pm Ah apologies, according to his Munster bio he was Forwards Coach for Tigers. So yes, I'm sure he would in fact be delighted to return to a Tigers for a lesser role than he had 13 years ago, after only joining Munster a year ago.

It would be great if he did, but you have to admit it is very unlikely...
I thought he joined the academy coaching staff when he retired but I stand corrected. Didn't he work with Borthwick before for the Lions? Not sure there's a big enough post for him at Tigers currently. By all accounts he's popular at Munster.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

This is another sorry day. Boris has been one of the few bright lights in some dismal coaching displays in recent years
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:29 pm Gutted,our only saving grace. Another nail! Good luck Boris
Always good to see someone looking on the bright side :smt009
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

mightymouse wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:49 am This is another sorry day. Boris has been one of the few bright lights in some dismal coaching displays in recent years
I hope the Castro rumour is just that. We need a well-established coach!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
brooksey845

Post by brooksey845 »

Gutted! What an all round decent guy!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Why not look at this in a positive and less selfish approach and consider this as a feather in the club’s cap in having contributed in the development of a top-notch forwards’ coach?
Semper in excretia
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I wonder what the reasoning was?

Personal? Promotion? Pay? Frustration?