Jasper Wiese

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Jasper Wiese

Post by RagingBull »

Heads up Wiese is starting for the Cheetahs v Bulls which is on sky sports at 5:55pm tonight.

His opposite man is Vermeulen so should be a interesting match up.
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Jasper Wiese

Post by Faulks04 »

Clayton blommetjies in the side too . Be interesting to see how jasper goes
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

He's started brightly!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Took the lineout for the Cheetahs try, didn't know he was much of a lineout option, but nice to have a no.8 who can be a lineout option!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Impressed so far.
Taken a couple lineouts
Some big hits (Knocked Vermeulan like 5m backwards in one tackle)
He nice carry.

Would like to see more carrying but looks like a 8 we have been missing for a long time.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Physical...and certainly not shy.A useful addition.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Think since the restart our backrow has been one of our strong points, Liebenberg being arguably our best player with Reffell and Wallace stepping up. Add in Brink and Wiese who could be starters and we’re definitely in a good place.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:43 pm Think since the restart our backrow has been one of our strong points, Liebenberg being arguably our best player with Reffell and Wallace stepping up. Add in Brink and Wiese who could be starters and we’re definitely in a good place.
With Taufua out injured probably until Christmas knowing we've got another physical 8 on the way in is good news. Means we should be less reliant on Liebenburg and able to rotate some more to keep everyone fresh and competition for places fierce.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:43 pm Think since the restart our backrow has been one of our strong points, Liebenberg being arguably our best player with Reffell and Wallace stepping up. Add in Brink and Wiese who could be starters and we’re definitely in a good place.
100%

Also Wells and Green impressed in the 2nd row so as long as we can get back up cover to them I think the pack is in a good position for this season
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Wiese is a good player and one that we should be able to get as much value out of as Exeter have got from players like Vermuelen and Kirsten.

In the last few years we've had a few 'very good club but not quite international players' join and look worse than they should. Hopefully Borthwick can get the best out of Wiese.

The back row was a rare plus point after the restart.

6.Taufua, Brink, Lewis
7.Reffell, Wallace, Coghlan
8.Liebenberg, Wiese, Smith

Good quality, depth and young average age to build from going forward.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Our back row is going to be one heavily destructive unit. Can’t wait. Some amazing recruitment. We have options which is something we haven’t had for years.
Can’t wait for next season.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I feel that this is the strongest back row unit we have had for some time but I just wonder how we are going to keep them all happy? We have 3 choices in all positions some of whom can double up which probably means that 5 will not be involved unless others are injured. I know rotation keeps them fresh but we do not have the same depth in other positions. Did we recruit too many or is someone on their way out of the door?
Hehehehehehehehe
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:53 am I feel that this is the strongest back row unit we have had for some time but I just wonder how we are going to keep them all happy? We have 3 choices in all positions some of whom can double up which probably means that 5 will not be involved unless others are injured. I know rotation keeps them fresh but we do not have the same depth in other positions. Did we recruit too many or is someone on their way out of the door?
6.Taufua, Brink, Lewis

Lewis and Smith as well as Lavin might go on loan to the Championship to keep match fit. Coghlan has had some game time at Notts last season as well. It's the other six that will be more in the rotation. Reffell and Wallace could conceivably do one week on and one week off to stay in peak fitness. With Lavanini out until January Liebenburg could be the lock cover so we could go two backrows on the bench. Taufua is out for a little bit as well.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:23 am
trendylfj wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:53 am I feel that this is the strongest back row unit we have had for some time but I just wonder how we are going to keep them all happy? We have 3 choices in all positions some of whom can double up which probably means that 5 will not be involved unless others are injured. I know rotation keeps them fresh but we do not have the same depth in other positions. Did we recruit too many or is someone on their way out of the door?
6.Taufua, Brink, Lewis

Lewis and Smith as well as Lavin might go on loan to the Championship to keep match fit. Coghlan has had some game time at Notts last season as well. It's the other six that will be more in the rotation. Reffell and Wallace could conceivably do one week on and one week off to stay in peak fitness. With Lavanini out until January Liebenburg could be the lock cover so we could go two backrows on the bench. Taufua is out for a little bit as well.
Add in the natural attrition rate of backrowers and some of the previous injury history with Brink, Taufua has has a few niggles this season, Liebenberg had his ankle injury this time last year, Reffell has been out for periods as has Wallace with HIAs - the number / spread of options is probably about right.

Don’t forget there is also no Prem cup/shield or whatever it’s called, this year so the likelihood of playing most weeks without a fallow week for some of the 1st team will impact rotation