kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership Final hit by Covid!

Post by kk20gb30 »

Bristol on stand by fpr Premiership final :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54574710

Whatever happened to constancy ?
Premiership Semi final, Sale Vs Worcester - postponement due to Sale suffering form Covid ......
Not often that I feel sorry for Wasps , but on this occasion I find the Premiership Rugby decision stupefying - really does beggar belief .
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:33 am
Premiership Semi final, Sale Vs Worcester - postponement due to Sale suffering form Covid ......
It was the final league match of a disjointed season that was put on hold, not the semi final.

Wasps still have time to return negative tests, this has happened a week and a half (or more) before the scheduled match, and maybe, just maybe, having Bristol on 'standby' is PRL getting their ducks in a row (for a change) to ensure a match goes ahead and Exeter are not just handed the trophy by default.

However, I do think postponement would show more consistency of decisions, but when do they postpone to? Heading towards international window and we all know they cannot be interrupted.... and what if, having postponed to get Wasps players healthy, Exeter have Covid issues? (Not wishing it upon them) Postpone again, and again?

The final was set for next weekend from the restart, if a club cannot put out a team for that date, whatever the reason, then easy, but sad, decision for me - move to a plan B to have the match played rather than just gift the win, title and trophy to the other team. It is hard on Wasps who have played brilliant rugby since the restart, but that's the nature of the game - don't always get what you deserve.

The only bit I feel aggrieved about is that a team who were soundly beaten in the semi final will get a second bite at the cherry and could, however unlikely, end up being Premiership Champions - that wouldn't sit right with me, why not do a coin toss between Bristol and Bath, both beaten semi-finalists, to see who gets the chance?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:32 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:33 am
It was the final league match of a disjointed season that was put on hold, not the semi final.

Wasps still have time to return negative tests, this has happened a week and a half (or more) before the scheduled match, and maybe, just maybe, having Bristol on 'standby' is PRL getting their ducks in a row (for a change) to ensure a match goes ahead and Exeter are not just handed the trophy by default.

However, I do think postponement would show more consistency of decisions, but when do they postpone to? Heading towards international window and we all know they cannot be interrupted.... and what if, having postponed to get Wasps players healthy, Exeter have Covid issues? (Not wishing it upon them) Postpone again, and again?

The final was set for next weekend from the restart, if a club cannot put out a team for that date, whatever the reason, then easy, but sad, decision for me - move to a plan B to have the match played rather than just gift the win, title and trophy to the other team. It is hard on Wasps who have played brilliant rugby since the restart, but that's the nature of the game - don't always get what you deserve.

The only bit I feel aggrieved about is that a team who were soundly beaten in the semi final will get a second bite at the cherry and could, however unlikely, end up being Premiership Champions - that wouldn't sit right with me, why not do a coin toss between Bristol and Bath, both beaten semi-finalists, to see who gets the chance?

Apologies...stand corrected on the game being a semi - long night at work.......
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I hope all the staff at Wasps a speedy, good recovery.
I was really looking forward to the final even though Usually I don’t want Wasps to win but their turn around and style of rugby is a great advert for all youngsters wanting to play the game.
I agree with other posters, IF Wasps cannot play after today’s results for a Covid come back then Exeter should be made Champions: after all there are no fans to give refunds to.
Again, IF, there has to be a final then surely the average score in the league games played between a Bath and Bristol should be considered but even then if Bath played Bristol during the International periods I’m not sure that would be very fair either due to Bath having more players missing.
Exeter won the league and are Champions.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think the idea of losing semi finalists playing in the final in this potential situation is a rule that has already been agreed upon by Premiership Rugby.

It's not an inconsistency at all, it's just the league sticking to the rules they put in place.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:03 pm I think the idea of losing semi finalists playing in the final in this potential situation is a rule that has already been agreed upon by Premiership Rugby.

It's not an inconsistency at all, it's just the league sticking to the rules they put in place.
And there in lies the inconsistency...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... ship-final

4 more wasps players test positive, not looking good for their appearance in the final.

Best wishes to those affected, speedy recovery.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Agree with the above.Apparently a decision to be made by this coming Wednesday.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:18 pm Agree with the above.Apparently a decision to be made by this coming Wednesday.
I hope the Bears players have stopped drinking and sobered up
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Should know the two teams contesting the Premiership Final today (Wed Oct 21) Hope Wasps make it but not holding my breath.Equally , a Wasps patchwork side would do either the Final nor themselves any justice.
Not too long ago it appeared we would not get this far so be it either Wasps or Bristol Vs Exeter I guess we should be grateful.
Thoughts, as always to those suffering and wishing them a speedy recovery.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Apparently Wasps given the all clear to face Exeter :

https://www.planetrugby.com/wasps-get-g ... hip-final/
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Yep Beeb says it too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54627360

No further positive tests from yesterday's tests, just one test on one of the coaches got damaged in transit so wasn't tested. That coach is self isolating.

Now Wasps need to catch up on no training since the testing...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Barnes out of the final after a positive test.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:13 am Wayne Barnes out of the final after a positive test.
And it appears Craig Maxwell-Keys may get the final as all other Prem refs have international commitments!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:00 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:13 am Wayne Barnes out of the final after a positive test.
And it appears Craig Maxwell-Keys may get the final as all other Prem refs have international commitments!
That is priceless......some season finale.
To win is not as important as playing with style!