European finals 2020

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

European finals 2020

Post by Robespierre »

Bristol v Toulon on Friday October 16th in Aix-en-Provence ko 9pm local time.

Bristol are still without Charles Piutau and I now learn that 2nd row Chris Viu and No8 Nathan Hughes are also out.
Toulon - who should have Eben Etzebeth in their ranks, will surely be favourites.

Racing 92 v Exeter on Saturday October 17th at Ashton Gate ko 4h45 local time.

Both sides, I believe, should be at full strength, including Racing 92 fullback Kirtley Beale who missed the semi final after his three-match ban was confirmed by the FFR for a high tackle.
Exeter's well-drilled pack may have the edge but with the likes of Finn Russell, Virimi Vakatawa and Juan Imhoff in the Racing backs we could be in for a classic.
It'd be a breath of fresh air if Racing, with their expansive and more high-risk rugby were to win, and I'll certainly be cheering for them!
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: European finals 2020

Post by JP14 »

Backing Racing in the final, but it's a difficult one to predict.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:02 am Bristol v Toulon on Friday October 16th in Aix-en-Provence ko 9pm local time.

Bristol are still without Charles Piutau and I now learn that 2nd row Chris Viu and No8 Nathan Hughes are also out.
Toulon - who should have Eben Etzebeth in their ranks, will surely be favourites.

Racing 92 v Exeter on Saturday October 17th at Ashton Gate ko 4h45 local time.

Both sides, I believe, should be at full strength, including Racing 92 fullback Kirtley Beale who missed the semi final after his three-match ban was confirmed by the FFR for a high tackle.
Exeter's well-drilled pack may have the edge but with the likes of Finn Russell, Virimi Vakatawa and Juan Imhoff in the Racing backs we could be in for a classic.
It'd be a breath of fresh air if Racing, with their expansive and more high-risk rugby were to win, and I'll certainly be cheering for them!
Will probably see a pack of this then:

1 Woolmore
2 Thacker
3 Sinckler
4 Holmes
5 Joyce
6 Luatua
7. Thomas
8 Earl

In my opinion if Bristol are serious about winning trophies they either need to develop Capon & Kloska more or find a better hooker than Thacker, all his silly offloads and tries mean naff all in a final when you need a hooker that throws properly and can do the basic stuff in the tight.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Both games are nicely set - and even contests.A valid argument could be made for either participant in each final.I see pragmatism coming out on top of flair in at least one game but would not as yet make the call as to in which one.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I think Toulon will beat Bristol who I think with all play off semi, the travel, injuries, etc. will just come unstuck. Should be a cracker though.

Racing v Exeter very difficult to call.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Desperately want Chiefs to beat Racing....it’s Zebo....
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:35 pm Desperately want Chiefs to beat Racing....it’s Zebo....
I believe Kirtley Beale is available for selection after his 3-match ban, so Zebo may not even be picked!
Semper in excretia
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Matt Dawson has written an article in the beeb how if chiefs lose it'll be one of the biggest European shocks ever...🤔 I had it on a knife edge could go either way...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Didn't Dawson say England were going to obliterate the Springboks in the final or something? :smt017
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Still believe that both games could go either way , although there is still (to me) an underlying fragility to Bristol - really can't get a handle on this Toulon side however.Still, makes for an engaging weekend and definitely no overwhelming favorites in either match up.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

The Challenge Cup Final teams:

Bristol: Malins; Morahan, Radradra, S Piutau, Leiua; Sheedy, Randall; Y Thomas, Thacker, Sinckler, Attwood, Vui, Luatua (capt), D Thomas, Earl.

Replacements: Kloska, Woolmore, Afoa, Joyce, Heenan, Kessell, O'Conor, Adeolokun.

Toulon: Cordin; Heem, Toeava, Paia'aua, Villiere; Carbonel, Serin; Gros, Etrillard, Gigashvili, Etzebeth, Taofifenua, Ollivon, Lakafia, Parisse.

Replacements: Soury, Fresia, Setiano, Alainu'uese, Rebbadj, Ory, Takulua, Dakuwaqa.

Referee: Andrew Brace (Ireland)

So Bristol 2nd row Chris Viu is fit to play. I had read earlier in the week that he was injured. The "magic sponge"(as dear ol' Eddie Waring used to call it) must have been used!

Prediction - Toulon by not very many.
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

The Champions' Cup Final teams:

Exeter: Hogg; Nowell, Slade, Whitten, O'Flaherty; J Simmonds (capt), Maunder; Hepburn, Cowan-Dickie, Williams, Gray, Hill, Ewers, Vermeulen, S Simmonds.

Replacements: Yeandle, Moon, Francis, Skinner, Kirsten, Hidalgo-Clyne, Steenson, Devoto.

Racing 92: Zebo; Dupichot, Vakatawa, Chavancy (capt), Imhoff; Russell, Iribaren; Ben Arous, Chat, Colombe, Le Roux, Bird, Lauret, Sanconnie, Claassen

Replacements: Baubigny, Kolingar, Oz, Ryan, Palu, Machenaud, Klemenczak, Beale.

I'd have thought Kirtley Beale would have got the nod ahead of Zebo, but as he's not played for three or four weeks he'll have to content himself with a place on the bench.

Prediction: Tough one to call. Allez Racing!!
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Come on Brizzle,come on Racing!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Steven Luatua has pulled out of selection after his wife has gone in to Labour, wish the bloke all the best.

Joyce has been moved from the bench to lock with Chris Vui moved to blindside and Ed Holmes promoted to the bench. Siale Piutau will now be the captain.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

JP14 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:28 pm Steven Luatua has pulled out of selection after his wife has gone in to Labour, wish the bloke all the best.
Great timing!!
Semper in excretia