European finals 2020

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
Big Dai
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4627
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: Abergavenny

Re: European finals 2020

Post by Big Dai » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:25 pm

Nigel's just had a :censored: showing on the celebrity chase......... Just saying
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5982
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: European finals 2020

Post by JP14 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:30 pm

Leicestertinytiger wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:53 pm
JP14 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:48 pm
How is Joe Simmonds man of the match? For kicking all of his kicks? Just don’t get the hype with this guy I’m glad Eddie Jones is inclined to agree.

This whole journey thing driving me nuts too, get rid of the racist branding and cheating tactics then I might feel elements of sympathy for their amazing “rise”.
Agreed, when it comes to European finals it highlights that Exeter’s half backs are nowhere near being international class.

Thought Hill looked good though, always makes yards with the ball in hand. Feel for S Simmonds, think he could make a very good no.7, just lacks some power to be an 8.

Thought Nigel was poor. Twice he decided to change his mind, first calling advantage over then Exeter hoofed the ball out and changed his mind. Then at the Exeter for penalty, he called hands away then blew up for keeping hold of the ball.
Yeah I do feel for S.Simmonds, still think he deserves one more chance with England.

Nigel was okay I was really annoyed when we went hands away and then gave Exeter the penalty when they’re clearly in the side. Don’t get me wrong still a brilliant final.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Haute-Garonne

Re: European finals 2020

Post by Robespierre » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:34 pm

Big Dai wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:25 pm
Nigel's just had a :censored: showing on the celebrity chase......... Just saying
Not far wrong there, Dai.
Semper in excreta

daktari
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:23 am
Location: UK

Re: European finals 2020

Post by daktari » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:44 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:39 pm
jgriffin wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:37 pm
Despite the rest of my siblings being either STHs or Exe supporters, I'm indifferent as I think they get free passes from refs too often.
The constant blocking and sealing off amongst other things makes NZ and Leinster look like saints!
Well done to Exeter but the constant blocking needs to be sorted out.. Reminds me of when Wasp were the top team with their rush defence which was always off side..still if the refs allow it, why stop
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..

ourla
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3147
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: European finals 2020

Post by ourla » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:07 pm

Fantastic two games of rugby and congratulations to Bristol and Exeter on two hard fought victories against worthy opponents.

Both Bristol and Exeter have been well resourced financially so these are not exactly fairy tale victories. However, IMO, they've both gone about the right way, have been patient and become successful through good coaching and hard work.

On Exeter, for me you can't go questioning their tactics and the way they play when it gets them where it has done. And Baxter is as straight as they come.

And as a plus it's great for English rugby. Should be a cracking Prem final next week.
You're either in or you're out

Tiglon
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: European finals 2020

Post by Tiglon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:34 pm

For what it's worth, I think Camille Chat's try was obvious blocking, but Racing got away with that one. Exeter aren't the only ones that do all the micro-cheating, they are just better at it than everyone else.

I probably would have had Zebo as MOM as well over Simmonds who did a good job but nothing special. A few of the forwards on each team should have been in the mix too. Finn Russell was a few inches away from being the genius game winner and walking his way to MOM, but also a few inches away from throwing the match away for his team. In the end his winners vs unforced errors ratio was probably about even. I love watching him play, but if we're honest he's just a Freddie Michalak impersonator with a less interesting accent.

Nige wasn't at his best, he's starting to seem a little indecisive. The kick to touch and advantage over incident previously mentioned was bad. Some penalties looked odd for me, but overall his performance was about on a par with what we see week in week out from the rest of his colleagues. He was probably only there because it was English v French, otherwise we would have had the pleasure of Barnes or Poite.

westwinds31
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4555
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:26 am

Re: European finals 2020

Post by westwinds31 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:08 pm

Admittedly, Joe Simmonds isn’t as flashy as the Scottish Cipriani, but he plays the percentages well, kicks superbly and is clearly well respected as a leader at the age of 23. Yes, Russell can juggle 3 rugby balls, but he’s a gambler and ultimately his pass intercepted by Nowell was the hammer blow. Why wasn’t he demanding the ball in front of the sticks for the drop goal ? I think you’ll see Simmonds really mature now and while it doesn’t look like he’s on Eddie’s radar yet, it won’t be long.

Freebird
New Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:06 pm

Re: European finals 2020

Post by Freebird » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:04 am

ourla wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:07 pm
Fantastic two games of rugby and congratulations to Bristol and Exeter on two hard fought victories against worthy opponents.

Both Bristol and Exeter have been well resourced financially so these are not exactly fairy tale victories. However, IMO, they've both gone about the right way, have been patient and become successful through good coaching and hard work.

On Exeter, for me you can't go questioning their tactics and the way they play when it gets them where it has done. And Baxter is as straight as they come.

And as a plus it's great for English rugby. Should be a cracking Prem final next week.
+1 :smt023

Big Dai
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4627
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: Abergavenny

Re: European finals 2020

Post by Big Dai » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:17 am

BFG wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:51 pm
The refereeing was poor with mixed messages to players all match but that penalty awarded against Racing on Exeter's line late on with the Exeter player clearly in at the side was a shocker in my opinion.
Two questions.
Was the ball over the line? And.....
Is the offside line then gone.... It is when you're attacking?

........ I think.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4082
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: European finals 2020

Post by sam16111986 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:30 am

ourla wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:07 pm
Both Bristol and Exeter have been well resourced financially so these are not exactly fairy tale victories. However, IMO, they've both gone about the right way, have been patient and become successful through good coaching and hard work.
Whilst Exeter are not short on cash they were the only Prem club to turn a profit last season. If you look at their starting line up it's very clever recruitment a lot of the time.

15 Stuart Hogg - signed from Glasgow
14 Jack Nowell - academy
13 Henry Slade - academy
12 Ian Whitten - signed from Ulster
11 Tom O’Flaherty - signed from Ospreys (though barely featured other than AWC)
10 Joe Simmonds (capt) - academy
9 Jack Maunder - academy
1 Alec Hepburn - signed from Cottesloe in Perth after a spell with London Welsh
2 Luke Cowan-Dickie - academy
3 Harry Williams - signed from Jersey
4 Jonny Gray - signed from Glasgow
5 Jonny Hill - signed from Gloucester development side
6 Dave Ewers - signed up from college
7 Jacques Vermeulen - signed from the Sharks
8 Sam Simmonds - academy

You look at that starting XV and other than the two Scottish signings from the summer they've not gone out and purchased internationals or big names. Bristol have and fair play to them they are doing pretty well. I think there's a lot to be admired by how they've built that team. The bench is much the same as well.

kk20gb30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Over The Hills & Far Away

Re: European finals 2020

Post by kk20gb30 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:35 am

Certainly can't complain about the spectacle of the game.In terms of excitement a good one to watch and close enough to have gone either way.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3065
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: European finals 2020

Post by BFG » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:24 am

Big Dai wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:17 am
BFG wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:51 pm
The refereeing was poor with mixed messages to players all match but that penalty awarded against Racing on Exeter's line late on with the Exeter player clearly in at the side was a shocker in my opinion.
Two questions.
Was the ball over the line? And.....
Is the offside line then gone.... It is when you're attacking?

........ I think.
If the ball is over the line then is it a try, if it's held up then is it a scrum to Racing?

What's interesting on this messageboard is the respect for Exeter's forward style, which is close to the style that Cockers was blasted for as being boring rugby by the same posters now congratulating Exeter on here, moaning which contributed to Leicester going out and getting a more expansive coach which then led to the bigger mess that exists now.

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7191
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: European finals 2020

Post by jgriffin » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:38 am

BFG wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:24 am
Big Dai wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:17 am
BFG wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:51 pm
The refereeing was poor with mixed messages to players all match but that penalty awarded against Racing on Exeter's line late on with the Exeter player clearly in at the side was a shocker in my opinion.
Two questions.
Was the ball over the line? And.....
Is the offside line then gone.... It is when you're attacking?

........ I think.
If the ball is over the line then is it a try, if it's held up then is it a scrum to Racing?

What's interesting on this messageboard is the respect for Exeter's forward style, which is close to the style that Cockers was blasted for as being boring rugby by the same posters now congratulating Exeter on here, moaning which contributed to Leicester going out and getting a more expansive coach which then led to the bigger mess that exists now.
This :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3557
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: European finals 2020

Post by Scott1 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:00 pm

jgriffin wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:40 am
Scott1 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:39 am
jgriffin wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:38 am

This :smt009
Yawwwwwnnnnnn
Thanks Scott - now provide the counterargument. :smt035
It was more about keep bringing Cockers up,it’s boring as hell! He did himself no favours,the insistence that we wouldn’t be in this mess if he was still here is complete rubbish. Imo of course

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3065
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: European finals 2020

Post by BFG » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:24 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:00 pm
jgriffin wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:40 am
Scott1 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:39 am

Yawwwwwnnnnnn
Thanks Scott - now provide the counterargument. :smt035
It was more about keep bringing Cockers up,it’s boring as hell! He did himself no favours,the insistence that we wouldn’t be in this mess if he was still here is complete rubbish. Imo of course
Leicester have got worse since they sacked Cockerill, this is a fact.
No-one is claiming that he was perfect, but if you're going to rubbish it then at least offer a sound argument.
We had years of criticism from certain supporters whilst being competitive, no forward offloads in behind, no gain Crane, even Salvi and Parling were often blasted as not being effective enough in attack, all which contributed to them being undervalued and to premature exits.
The rich French clubs were buying up the big ball carriers, Sarries were buying up the Vunipola's and so Leicester were forced to gamble on bargain players like Fonua.
Basically what you now see Chiefs doing well as a team is was what Leicester were doing.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests