The Rebuild

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: The Rebuild

Post by Tigerbeat »

I suspect that the players going on furlough would be the academy players as you cannot be furloughed unless you were registered before 10th June (or July). It is likely that the lower paid players who had been on furlough have been refurloughed to take advantage of the finance available to support the business.
They will still be able to work some time on furlough and the club would make full payment for that time.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Delays to the Rebuild

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:04 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:24 am https://www.ruck.co.uk/two-premiership- ... -furlough/

This isn't great for Tigers they have a squad that needs to try and gel together.

Also won't be great that the best paid guys (internationals) are still on full wages as they're ineligible for furlough while the lower paid guys are the ones who'll have to take a cut.

Show's the severity of the situation though doesn't it.

Let's hope the government take note. This is clubs trying to work out how to get the money to survive without fans...
Not sure why the England players wouldn't be eligible. You can be furloughed by one employer and do work for another.

Also, you don't know whether anyone is taking a pay cut, I hardly think all the players are having their monthly wage cut to £2,500 for October, the club is probably topping it up and using it to save a couple of grand on each player until the end of the month.
I'm guessing because when you are furloughed you cannot do your profession, I have a mate that is a professional cricketer, he was furloughed earlier, when our club restarted nets he wanted to come but the county that employed him said he can't as that's training for his job with them, so breach of furlough.

So the fact the other employer is giving them training that would count towards them improving as tigers players counts against them.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Delays to the Rebuild

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:16 am
Tiglon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:04 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:24 am https://www.ruck.co.uk/two-premiership- ... -furlough/

This isn't great for Tigers they have a squad that needs to try and gel together.

Also won't be great that the best paid guys (internationals) are still on full wages as they're ineligible for furlough while the lower paid guys are the ones who'll have to take a cut.

Show's the severity of the situation though doesn't it.

Let's hope the government take note. This is clubs trying to work out how to get the money to survive without fans...
Not sure why the England players wouldn't be eligible. You can be furloughed by one employer and do work for another.

Also, you don't know whether anyone is taking a pay cut, I hardly think all the players are having their monthly wage cut to £2,500 for October, the club is probably topping it up and using it to save a couple of grand on each player until the end of the month.
I'm guessing because when you are furloughed you cannot do your profession, I have a mate that is a professional cricketer, he was furloughed earlier, when our club restarted nets he wanted to come but the county that employed him said he can't as that's training for his job with them, so breach of furlough.

So the fact the other employer is giving them training that would count towards them improving as tigers players counts against them.
Possibly. I think the government made some special rules for professional sport so it could be something like that.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:02 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:27 am How long is our task is impossible to say.What I would speculate on is the actual size - and judging by what was witnessed during both Gallagher Semi finals the size of any rebuild is massive as we seem light years away from the standards set by those four clubs.We are watching different games attempting to be executed.
The optimism when we are not playing seems to out weigh the reality of performance when we do.
I completely agree, we are still playing badly. But what do we actually still need to do and should it actually take years? Surely it's now just gelling the team together and some decent coaching - surely that shouldn't take 3-5 years? Some of our first teamers will be retired before then...
Agree entirely. Does anyone seriously think that if Ian McGeechan, Graham Henry (in their prime) or Eddie Jones or Warren Gatland were coaching Tigers, we would here them saying "I'm pretty hopeful Tigers will be competitive by 2024-25. I'm just hoping we avoid relegation in 20-21." I've used the quote frequently enough, but one more time: 'Elite coaches are paid to win the games they should lose, not the games they should win.'

I've been critical of Tigers the past few years but am optimistic now. However to put meat on the bones of that quote 'Next year Steve Borthwick is being paid to win against Bath, Northampton and Bristol, not London Irish, Newcastle or Worcester.'

Which is in line with my mantra of humility and patience! Humility and patience don't mean we should be ambitious or have high expectations.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Training is an exemption in relationship to Furlough.

You can't work but you can carry out training whilst Furloughed. Presumably this applies to sport? Train but not play competitively unless different rules apply?
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

The rebuild in todays climate is going to be tough.
If the void between Tigers top 4 clubs was 3-4 years prior to lockdown, its just getting a lot harder as we stand today.
I am being pragmatic when I believe we may finish 3 places higher than we've just ended
So long as the rebuild starts with not giving teams an easy try bonus win, nor a 40+ point W.
I see a hard road ahead but would think we have the coaches to lead us through.
I hope we have some attacking prep for next season (7 wks Time) because I felt as though we were in damage limitation mode since restart.
Every one exempting LI (possibly) has a stable squad and has built bulk into beefing up their mid field.
We have added to and replaced all but 5. That's why we have looked disjointed, relied on our (poor) kicking game.
We have to gel as a team. That is why I am being pragmatic.
I am going into hibernation for the next 7 weeks.(COVID-19 aside)To come out all the fitter to cheer and stress may way through next season. :smt039