What I think is??

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

What I think is??

Post by johnthegriff »

Our worst season ever is behind us but the pandemic unfortunately is still with us, we have just seven weeks before the start of the new season and Tigers need to immediately perform better than they have recently.
As a lover of history I believe that examination of the past can show us the way forward, I do not think it applies to us now, mistakes in decision making covering all aspects of the running of Leicester Football Club are too many and all are open for debate, so it does not matter if our demise started with the sacking of Cocker or before that, whether Simon Cohen was at fault or not, they are both gone, what matters is now. So where are we?
There have been many changes at Board level although we still have Pete Tom as an experienced hand on the tiller, financially we are perhaps more streamlined than before with a tighter hand on expenditure, however we are assured we will continue spending upto the limits of the reduced salary cap on players wages.
Andrea Pinchen is now C.E.O, I have known Andrea since she first arrived at the club, she has made a success of every job she has held as she climbed the ranks and I am certain she will be great in her new role and I cannot see her interfering with rugby matters other than budgets.
Geordan Murphy is Director of Rugby, a title that implies responsibility for overseeing all rugby affairs, personally I think Geordan was handed a poisoned chalice when he was suddenly appointed Head Coach but that is the past, his job now is to provide the support that our current head coach needs and to ensure that our successful Academy continues to produce first team prospects and the pathway from under 18 through Development squad to first team is clear and open. He should also be overseeing recruitment.
Jan Mcginity is in charge of recruitment, our recent acquisitions whether they be immediate match day players or young prospects to be worked on I have been impressed, that some of them are previous graduates from our youth scheme that have been developing their skills as they matured elsewhere is a good thing. Hopefully Jan and Geordan will listen to our Head Coach when he states what type of player in size or skills he needs to improve the team it is then their job to recruit that player.
Head Coach is Steve Borthwick, his previous experience with England under Eddie Jones and the fact that Martin Johnson thought highly of him is enough for me, from reading Eddie Jones book I know he thought well of Steve so I am sure that given the necessary support he will do well, and if he does not get that support he has the strength of character to speak out. My one concern is that success at Leicester will see Borthwick in prime position to takeover the national team when Jones retires, on a positive note that means that Tigers will be in a far better Premiership position than they are now.
I think we have the personnel, players and staff to take our club forward, finances during the pandemic are uncertain but I am confident that by the end of 20/21 season we will be at least top six and two or more of our development lads will be established first teamers, that for me will represent success although I hope for more. What do you think?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: What I think is??

Post by Robespierre »

I admire your optimism jtg, and go along with your observations concerning those responsible for running the club, but I fear that your specs may be slightly rose-tinted!

I believe that to be in the top 6 by the end of the forthcoming season will be a tough challenge when we look at the quality of the other clubs that'll be in contention. The current top 5, Exeter, Wasps, Bristol, Bath and Sale will almost certainly be there or therabouts again, and with Gloucester, Quins, and what I think may be a resurgent Northampton in the chasing pack, Tigers may have their work cut out. I hope we'll see a resurgent Leicester too, but it may take another season before we'll see them begin to reassert themselves at the top end of the table.
Semper in excretia
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I like the optimism and I hope it is rewarded, as of yet I have not seen anything to make me think we are anywhere near top 6 yet in the league, however I have seen some green shoots and hope for a move from the foot of the league. I fear all the other sides are going to target us as an easy shot, so it's going to test our character.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Thank you for an optimistic, if slightly so, view of the club from a stalwart fan. A refreshing change from the AutoTrashers! :smt006
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I understand where your optimism comes from. Our squad is talented enough for top 6 and is well placed to thrive during internationals. The coaching team have had an unprecedented opportunity to test the whole squad in match conditions and by the start of the season will have had enough time to put their systems in place.

Top half is very achievable.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Yeah I agree - squad on paper looks very strong - coaching team similar....

A fast start and who knows?
Less is more....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I actually think end of next season we should be playing at a top 6 standard but that we'll probably finish around 8th-ish mainly because I feel we'll start the season at a sort of 10th standard and as players bed in we'll have the biggest jump in performance relative to other teams.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:29 pm I actually think end of next season we should be playing at a top 6 standard but that we'll probably finish around 8th-ish mainly because I feel we'll start the season at a sort of 10th standard and as players bed in we'll have the biggest jump in performance relative to other teams.
If we finished 8th I would be disappointed, but I would accept it if it was achieved in that manner. Consistent improvement throughout the season and an 8th place finish is perhaps better than starting really strongly then dropping off and finishing 6th. I'd like to finish next season with expectation of making the playoffs in 21/22.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:36 am I think we have the personnel, players and staff to take our club forward, finances during the pandemic are uncertain but I am confident that by the end of 20/21 season we will be at least top six and two or more of our development lads will be established first teamers, that for me will represent success although I hope for more. What do you think?
Honestly I haven't got a clue.

And I think anyone who says they have is guessing.

All I want to see is the club back on the right track - with people knowing their jobs and being competent at it. I've no idea if that will happen in the next few months. My optimism of 2/3 months ago has dissipated somewhat though I am in it for the long haul, I am not expecting miracles.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

I’m generally in the glass half full camp, but I have to admit the last few weeks somewhat tough. I like what I see on paper. I think we have a good blend of experienced players and young up and comings and apart from the fact that I haven’t really begun to understand what our attacking philosophy is I am happy to see how this coaching group takes us forward.

But what I want above all else is to be sat back in my seat cheering the boys on and supporting the club as best I can win, lose or draw.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Robespierre wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:03 pm I admire your optimism jtg, and go along with your observations concerning those responsible for running the club, but I fear that your specs may be slightly rose-tinted!

I believe that to be in the top 6 by the end of the forthcoming season will be a tough challenge when we look at the quality of the other clubs that'll be in contention. The current top 5, Exeter, Wasps, Bristol, Bath and Sale will almost certainly be there or therabouts again, and with Gloucester, Quins, and what I think may be a resurgent Northampton in the chasing pack, Tigers may have their work cut out. I hope we'll see a resurgent Leicester too, but it may take another season before we'll see them begin to reassert themselves at the top end of the table.
Not sure how resurgent the Saints will be, I'm also predicting Sale to have a Gloucester-like reversal of fortunes (or maybe that's me being hopeful!).
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=MCC1964 post_id=754964 time=1602257232 user_id=11040]
I’m generally in the glass half full camp, but I have to admit the last few weeks somewhat tough. I like what I see on paper. I think we have a good blend of experienced players and young up and comings and apart from the fact that I haven’t really begun to understand what our attacking philosophy is I am happy to see how this coaching group takes us forward.

But what I want above all else is to be sat back in my seat cheering the boys on and supporting the club as best I can win, lose or draw.
[/quote]

I am with MCC on this.
I applaud the OP's optimism, but think it will take longer than one season before we get into the top six.
It is pretty clear to me that everyone at the club is pulling in the right direction, and this cohesion from top to bottom is encouraging. But, and here's the rub, we are starting from such a low base it's a huge re-building job that I don't think can possibly be turned around quickly. We certainly do need to see some steady improvement over the course of next season, but I think we are going to have to be patient, which is not always that easy. We will also need a bit of luck with injuries and the like.
Keep the faith!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

The main priority is to get fans back near to or just after Christmas: if not then I fear, having listened to views from various Premiership Chairman, that some clubs might not be in a financial position to survive.
I too think we have the talent in the squad to be clear of the relegation zone IF we use the backs and decide to retain the ball more often.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Nice optimistic post. For me we are in a mini league with Wuss,Newcastle and LI just have to make sure we dont finish bottom of that. I’d bite your hand off for 11th if offered now
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Tend to hope rather than expect now.Lots to work on and lots to improve on - let's not kid ourselves. I don't believe we will be relegated and I hope we improve as we desperately need to .
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....