DoR?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: DoR?

Post by JP14 »

Gustard wasn't available he was with England...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

DingDong wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:15 pm Seems to me to be some double standards on this thread. Posters are unhappy about the constant criticism of our DoR who's job it is to be accountable. Yet posters are themselves happy to constantly criticise other posters who highlight Murphy's failures. Am i the only one who sees the hypocrisy in this?
To hold someone to account you need to understand what they have been tasked to do. I imagine Geordan has been asked to ensure prem survival this season, establish a coaching team that can make us competitive in the future, rebalance the squad and make us less reliant on internationals who are missing for much of the season, put in place pathways to introduce academy players to first team rugby.

All of these things are happening and whilst incomplete they are ongoing and will take time.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

dunc wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:34 am
DingDong wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:15 pm Seems to me to be some double standards on this thread. Posters are unhappy about the constant criticism of our DoR who's job it is to be accountable. Yet posters are themselves happy to constantly criticise other posters who highlight Murphy's failures. Am i the only one who sees the hypocrisy in this?
To hold someone to account you need to understand what they have been tasked to do. I imagine Geordan has been asked to ensure prem survival this season, establish a coaching team that can make us competitive in the future, rebalance the squad and make us less reliant on internationals who are missing for much of the season, put in place pathways to introduce academy players to first team rugby.

All of these things are happening and whilst incomplete they are ongoing and will take time.
Well none of us actually know what Geordan's terms of reference and performance targets actually are so its nothing but conjecture. What is beyond any doubt is that he did not ensure premiership survival this season. As for the other imagined asks the Board and Jan Mcginty would have played a massive part in the majority of them.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

dunc wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:34 amTo hold someone to account you need to understand what they have been tasked to do. I imagine Geordan has been asked to ensure prem survival this season, establish a coaching team that can make us competitive in the future, rebalance the squad and make us less reliant on internationals who are missing for much of the season, put in place pathways to introduce academy players to first team rugby.

Ensure Premiership survival? that was nailed on thanks to Sarries and no-one else. I don't criticise Murphy for his DoR role as there's no evidence he is doing anything worth criticising, and especially as the club is progressing I sincerely hope he's a positive asset to that. The justified criticism is targeted at his previous failed roles which contributed to our clubs demise, not a CV i'd want to read when sourcing a DoR but then we aren't doing the recruiting!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

JP14 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:53 am Gustard wasn't available he was with England...
A lot on this forum would of discounted him under the ex Tiger label.

I think we needed a fresh unbiased set of eyes as well as continuity in the set up (think Klopp at Anfield), I await to see if we appointed the right new blood.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

My point was it is all conjecture and impossible for fans to say he is or isn’t doing the job he has been tasked with well. We just need to give this setup time to develop and we could make that easier by playing our part and supporting and not being so reactive to disappointing results in the short term.

For the record we are playing in the prem next year. Therefore we have survived
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I agree with dunc. For me, whatever GM's remit as DoR, it's unlikely to be defined by a set of 3 month goals. I would imagine, and hope, that his target is putting in place the necessary systems for long term success while SB gets on with the day to day coaching in order to get things moving forwards short term - with obvious crossovers between the two.

Far too early to judge GM as DoR.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:31 am
JP14 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:53 am Gustard wasn't available he was with England...

I think we needed a fresh unbiased set of eyes as well as continuity in the set up (think Klopp at Anfield), I await to see if we appointed the right new blood.
Klopp certainly didn't turn Liverpool into the team they are now overnight.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:53 pm

He didn't, but I don't think anyone is asking SB to turn Tigers into the best team in the world overnight.

Liverpool's league finishes under Klopp have been 8th (60 pts), 4th (76 pts), 4th (75 pts), 2nd (97 pts), 1st (99 pts). Almost constant improvement. The first difference is of course that there are 20 teams in the PL, so 8th for Liverpool is the equivalent of 4.8th for Tigers. Sort of. The other difference is that Liverpool had finished 6th and 2nd in the previous 2 seasons, so SB probably has a much bigger task than Klopp did. But then on the other hand salary cap means the rugby Prem is more evenly balanced...

I think most of us can agree that if we finish 8th next season (and show promise that there is better to come) we would be happy to support SB into season 2, where we would hope to compete for 4th.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

My point about Klopp was related to his ability to get the club but be a complete breath of fresh air at the same time.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

For me what Pat Lam has achieved at Bristol is extraordinary. They returned to the premiership in 2018 and finished top 4 in 2020. Now that is someone who has earned their crust.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Our club has had all its past successes with a Director of Rugby and a Head Coach, under Deano we had a non coaching D.O.R whilst Pat Howard and Cocker held the position whilst being active coaches. Geordan was an assistant coach under Cocker, Aaron Mauger and Matt O'Connor, in his role as assistant he had some success as his team won the L.V Cup or whatever it was called at the time. He took over as Head Coach after the season started and our unfit team ran out of steam in their first match of the season at Sandy Park, he inherited a squad that was unbalanced partly due to big a percentage of the cap being paid to too few players,a star studded back line that actually never took the field together and a situation not helped by two international players trying to divide their time between hemispheres as they earned their place in the Australian World Cup team. The following season there was no opportunity to have a recognisable pre-season as at least two thirds of his squad were away at the World Cup. With the known coming appointment of a new Head Coach we progressed through that season, results improving as first choice players returned when the pandemic struck. What would have been the eventual outcome had there been no Saracens situation and no pandemic we can all have our own opinions. The situation we have now is a Chief Executive that is unlikely to be involved in player recruitment and retention, Jan McGinity to talent spot and recruit world wide a Head Coach to ve in charge of on pitch matters, a well functioning Academy and coordinating all a Director of Rugby who will free others up to get on with their jobs. It is a new situation, lets just give them the chance to show what they can do in very testing circumstances before condemning all before the first match of the first season they face as a team on and off the pitch.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:33 am Our club has had all its past successes with a Director of Rugby and a Head Coach, under Deano we had a non coaching D.O.R whilst Pat Howard and Cocker held the position whilst being active coaches. Geordan was an assistant coach under Cocker, Aaron Mauger and Matt O'Connor, in his role as assistant he had some success as his team won the L.V Cup or whatever it was called at the time. He took over as Head Coach after the season started and our unfit team ran out of steam in their first match of the season at Sandy Park, he inherited a squad that was unbalanced partly due to big a percentage of the cap being paid to too few players,a star studded back line that actually never took the field together and a situation not helped by two international players trying to divide their time between hemispheres as they earned their place in the Australian World Cup team. The following season there was no opportunity to have a recognisable pre-season as at least two thirds of his squad were away at the World Cup. With the known coming appointment of a new Head Coach we progressed through that season, results improving as first choice players returned when the pandemic struck. What would have been the eventual outcome had there been no Saracens situation and no pandemic we can all have our own opinions. The situation we have now is a Chief Executive that is unlikely to be involved in player recruitment and retention, Jan McGinity to talent spot and recruit world wide a Head Coach to ve in charge of on pitch matters, a well functioning Academy and coordinating all a Director of Rugby who will free others up to get on with their jobs. It is a new situation, lets just give them the chance to show what they can do in very testing circumstances before condemning all before the first match of the first season they face as a team on and off the pitch.
I couldn't have put it better. 100% in agreement with you John.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:55 am
johnthegriff wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:33 am Our club has had all its past successes with a Director of Rugby and a Head Coach, under Deano we had a non coaching D.O.R whilst Pat Howard and Cocker held the position whilst being active coaches. Geordan was an assistant coach under Cocker, Aaron Mauger and Matt O'Connor, in his role as assistant he had some success as his team won the L.V Cup or whatever it was called at the time. He took over as Head Coach after the season started and our unfit team ran out of steam in their first match of the season at Sandy Park, he inherited a squad that was unbalanced partly due to big a percentage of the cap being paid to too few players,a star studded back line that actually never took the field together and a situation not helped by two international players trying to divide their time between hemispheres as they earned their place in the Australian World Cup team. The following season there was no opportunity to have a recognisable pre-season as at least two thirds of his squad were away at the World Cup. With the known coming appointment of a new Head Coach we progressed through that season, results improving as first choice players returned when the pandemic struck. What would have been the eventual outcome had there been no Saracens situation and no pandemic we can all have our own opinions. The situation we have now is a Chief Executive that is unlikely to be involved in player recruitment and retention, Jan McGinity to talent spot and recruit world wide a Head Coach to ve in charge of on pitch matters, a well functioning Academy and coordinating all a Director of Rugby who will free others up to get on with their jobs. It is a new situation, lets just give them the chance to show what they can do in very testing circumstances before condemning all before the first match of the first season they face as a team on and off the pitch.
I couldn't have put it better. 100% in agreement with you John.
+1 :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:25 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:53 pm

He didn't, but I don't think anyone is asking SB to turn Tigers into the best team in the world overnight.

Liverpool's league finishes under Klopp have been 8th (60 pts), 4th (76 pts), 4th (75 pts), 2nd (97 pts), 1st (99 pts). Almost constant improvement. The first difference is of course that there are 20 teams in the PL, so 8th for Liverpool is the equivalent of 4.8th for Tigers. Sort of. The other difference is that Liverpool had finished 6th and 2nd in the previous 2 seasons, so SB probably has a much bigger task than Klopp did. But then on the other hand salary cap means the rugby Prem is more evenly balanced...

I think most of us can agree that if we finish 8th next season (and show promise that there is better to come) we would be happy to support SB into season 2, where we would hope to compete for 4th.
Yes I agree, I think having supporters back would also help things along, but if this pandemic has done one thing it's definitely made me a pessimist.