England Training Squad announced

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: England Training Squad announced

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:34 pm Simmons gets an arm chair ride behind a dominant pack week in week out. Imagine the carnage Ford could cause playing for Chiefs. Smith for me is the far better talent and has proved it behind a mostly retreating pack,that’s the mark of a top FH for me. I’ve saw Simmons on the very rare couple of occasions where Chiefs pack were under the cosh,Munster was one of them and he wasn’t all that imo.
A good example was against Toulouse in the semi-final, where Chiefs did not have it all their own way and were under the cosh for a lot of the game. Simmonds was pretty decent in defence and attack when he had the opportunity. He’s also developing into a strong leader. Smith is decent but defensively he’s got a long way to go.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:16 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:34 pm Simmons gets an arm chair ride behind a dominant pack week in week out. Imagine the carnage Ford could cause playing for Chiefs. Smith for me is the far better talent and has proved it behind a mostly retreating pack,that’s the mark of a top FH for me. I’ve saw Simmons on the very rare couple of occasions where Chiefs pack were under the cosh,Munster was one of them and he wasn’t all that imo.
A good example was against Toulouse in the semi-final, where Chiefs did not have it all their own way and were under the cosh for a lot of the game. Simmonds was pretty decent in defence and attack when he had the opportunity. He’s also developing into a strong leader. Smith is decent but defensively he’s got a long way to go.
Smith has yet to convince me he is a full package at 10, but then one doesn't know how Simmonds would be outside the Exe systems. I'd certainly like to see a Henry/Smith deathmatch if Henry gets the opportunities to play first string, as he should for half the season.
[edit] actually would just like to go to a match!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

As Big Jim said, "Let us out!"
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Courtney Lawes will undergo surgery on the ankle injury he sustained against Sale Sharks last week. Ruled out for 12 weeks.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:17 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:57 am Before the Covid police on here get on my tail that was an in-jest comment, but seriously they should have socially distanced crowds like the Germans, Aussies and Kiwis.
One of the many complete lunacies perpetrated by the Incompetents (it ain't the Illuminati, for sure), to ignore sensible solutions.
Well the government has two choices, bail us out or allow fans to return, I know which one Mr Sunak will prefer (who isn't in my good-books vis à vis his comments about the arts industry) and hopefully more backbenchers like my local MP will put the heat on No10 & DCMS to u-turn on their decision.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:31 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:57 am Before the Covid police on here get on my tail that was an in-jest comment, but seriously they should have socially distanced crowds like the Germans, Aussies and Kiwis.
One of the many complete lunacies perpetrated by the Incompetents (it ain't the Illuminati, for sure), to ignore sensible solutions.
Well the government has two choices, bail us out or allow fans to return, I know which one Mr Sunak will prefer (who isn't in my good-books vis à vis his comments about the arts industry) and hopefully more backbenchers like my local MP will put the heat on No10 & DCMS to u-turn on their decision.
There is a third option - do neither and let rugby look after itself. That's what they're doing with football, but it would be hard to argue rugby has the same capacity to do so.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

JP14 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:28 pm Surprising that Reffell is nowhere to be seen in the Welsh nor the English squad.
He won't get picked ahead of Underhill or Curry for England. For Wales, his chances are even more remote - he's probably 7th choice at best.
Scarlets - MacLeod and Davies, Blues - Navidi and Jenkins, Ospreys - Tipuric. Then there's Thomas Young. That leaves him contesting 7th with Basham from the Dragons and Dan Thomas.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:57 pm
There is a third option - do neither and let rugby look after itself. That's what they're doing with football, but it would be hard to argue rugby has the same capacity to do so.
The existence of professional rugby itself is threatened if no Government support is given from now until March.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

JP14 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:21 pm

The existence of professional rugby itself is threatened if no Government support is given from now until March.
The problem is that professional rugby is threatened even if the government bail it out. Would you want to sink millions of pounds into a sport that can't sustain itself even in the good times...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Hence why Leicester Tigers specifically asked for government money to bail out COVID related losses, not losses the were already being made.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Sunak is a typical free-marketeer, laissez-faire unless it threatens his pal's money - hence his appalling comments about the creative industries that made UK £112bn last year. Rugby is beneath his magisterial view.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:56 pm

Sunak is a typical free-marketeer, laissez-faire unless it threatens his pal's money - hence his appalling comments about the creative industries that made UK £112bn last year. Rugby is beneath his magisterial view.
Live sport on the TV helps keep people occupied and at home. No live sport on the TV and people will want to do something else to fill their time which might not be staying at home.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

According to the Daily Mail they will announce an England squad today:

https://twitter.com/willgkelleher/statu ... 44514?s=21

No Joe Cokanasiga (understandable, only just back from injury)
Ben Spencer set to be the shock omission (Disappointing but not surprising)
Both Simmonds brothers set to miss out (Sam I think deserves another shot)

However Willis, Robson, Umaga as well as Alfie Barbeary (I would guess as an “apprentice”) have all been called up along with Worcester’s Ollie Lawrence.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:08 am According to the Daily Mail they will announce an England squad today:

https://twitter.com/willgkelleher/statu ... 44514?s=21

No Joe Cokanasiga (understandable, only just back from injury)
Ben Spencer set to be the shock omission (Disappointing but not surprising)
Both Simmonds brothers set to miss out (Sam I think deserves another shot)

However Willis, Robson, Umaga as well as Alfie Barbeary (I would guess as an “apprentice”) have all been called up along with Worcester’s Ollie Lawrence.
Understand those other than Umaga over Simmons. Though Simmons has two more games to play so might get a call up after that.

Barbeary looks like a real diamond in the rough so getting him into camp and getting a look at him makes sense.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

A training squad has just been announced but it’s for a short camp: Wasps and Exeter players don’t feature obviously but as expected Ben Spencer is omitted. Ollie Lawrence and Ted Hill of Worcester are called up along with Beno Obano (which I am pleased about).

Leicester’s contingent (including Joe Heyes) have all been retained.