England Training Squad announced

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: England Training Squad announced

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Any time Heyes gets to spend with the England team will aid his development. Funny because against Bristol I thought he showed glimpses of what he can do ball in hand and carried well. But also in that game he’s normally a good scrummager having taken some experienced scalps in the past but got taken to the cleaners by Thomas. Think he’s lost some weight in lockdown which doesn’t seem to have helped.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Mark Proudfoot is a brilliant forwards and scrum coach for Heyes to get to work alongside. Even if Joe is one of the guys to miss out when players from all clubs are available (I think Painter is self isolating currently, same as Ludlam) it will be a few days in a training camp that will do no harm.

Given that Joe is qualified for Wales I wonder if Jones might used the congested schedule coming up to cap him early. The regions have been in contact with him previously about a move I believe but he wasn't interested at the time.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:35 pm Any time Heyes gets to spend with the England team will aid his development. Funny because against Bristol I thought he showed glimpses of what he can do ball in hand and carried well. But also in that game he’s normally a good scrummager having taken some experienced scalps in the past but got taken to the cleaners by Thomas. Think he’s lost some weight in lockdown which doesn’t seem to have helped.
It didn’t help against Bristol that he got taken to the cleaners by the officials in the first two scrum pens!

Time with EJ and Proudfoot will be time we’ll spent. :smt003
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Pleased for both Hayes and Dombrandt...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Surprised Marcus Smith has been omitted, not sure why? It was EJ who first brought him to the World's attention!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

JP14 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:44 am Surprised Marcus Smith has been omitted, not sure why? It was EJ who first brought him to the World's attention!
I "believe" he may be injured
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:44 am Surprised Marcus Smith has been omitted, not sure why? It was EJ who first brought him to the World's attention!
Smith is injured, Marler as well.

No fly-halves outside Ford/Faz have been picked anyway but given that Smith, Simmonds, Umaga and Sheedy are all unavailable for various reasons that might just be circumstances.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:48 am
I "believe" he may be injured
Ahh okay makes sense, cheers.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Can see Umaga being selected, J. Simmonds no, his brother potentially, Calum Sheedy is an interesting one, it would be easier for his Bristol career to play for England and he already has appeared for them in the non-cap Baabaas game (however that isn't a given, look at Mike Haley).
HandOfBack
Tiger Cub

Post by HandOfBack »

JP14 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:53 am Can see Umaga being selected, J. Simmonds no, his brother potentially, Calum Sheedy is an interesting one, it would be easier for his Bristol career to play for England and he already has appeared for them in the non-cap Baabaas game (however that isn't a given, look at Mike Haley).
Sheedy has just been picked for the Wales squad! A shame, he is a real talent.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... n/54431290
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:53 am Can see Umaga being selected, J. Simmonds no, his brother potentially, Calum Sheedy is an interesting one, it would be easier for his Bristol career to play for England and he already has appeared for them in the non-cap Baabaas game (however that isn't a given, look at Mike Haley).
As mentioned above I could see Jones using the congested international calendar to test young players but also tie a few who are qualified for other nations to England long term. Heyes is Wales qualified. Dingwall qualifies for Scotland. Sheedy for Wales. Umaga will definitely qualify for NZ through his dad but potentially Samoa as well.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

ABClub wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:41 pm Mark Proudfoot is a brilliant forwards and scrum coach for Heyes to get to work alongside. Even if Joe is one of the guys to miss out when players from all clubs are available (I think Painter is self isolating currently, same as Ludlam) it will be a few days in a training camp that will do no harm.

Given that Joe is qualified for Wales I wonder if Jones might used the congested schedule coming up to cap him early. The regions have been in contact with him previously about a move I believe but he wasn't interested at the time.
His club coach Boris, is top notch, too!
Semper in excretia
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Simmons may well be overlooked which is a shame because he's head and shoulders over Umaga and Smith currently.

As mentioned above Wales are likely to cap Sheedy now. We really should start capping Baabaas games.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The RFU is not allowed to because the Baabaas is a club therefore it doesn't qualify as an international fixture.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Happy for Johnny Williams, always thought he was a classy player at Newcastle and it's good that he has recovered from his cancer!