Pat Howard

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 801
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:56 am

Re: Pat Howard

Post by wellstiger » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:25 am

I love the "Magical Mystery Tour"
Its going to take me away.

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4219
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: Pat Howard

Post by sam16111986 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:29 am

sapajo wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:26 am
The fact is that our disastrously executed kicking game plan is now 2 seasons in the making and it began when Murphy was appointed Head Coach and despite the appointment of Borthwick it has continued. That is the truth despite all the spin from the club deployed to counter it.
Actually there's a significant difference to the kicking game pre and post lockdown. We previously kicked long looking to get the ball onto the floor to give us time to set the defensive line and move up the field. A 2007 era tactic really. Since Borthwick has arrived we now predominantly kick to compete (when we execute correctly) which is the tactic commonly seen by Sarries and England (Exeter as well when they do kick). As we have Nadolo on the wing he tends to be the target and that makes sense.

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2037
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:53 am
Location: Barrowford, near the Witches

Re: Pat Howard

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:42 am

In the ideal world Paddy would be in charge, but for family reasons amongst others he isn't.
If the current set up is what Paddy recommended I will go with it as he got most things right for us both on & off the field.
The kicking drives me insane, but providing it's part of the journey, not the destination I will suffer a bit longer, the trouble is it's often badly executed.
To win is not as important as playing with style!

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Pat Howard

Post by chewbacca » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:39 am

wellstiger wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:25 am
I love the "Magical Mystery Tour"
Its going to take me away.
As long as we don't have a fool on the hill.
I'm not cynical just experienced

fentiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1967
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Wisbech

Re: Pat Howard

Post by fentiger » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:55 am

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:42 am
In the ideal world Paddy would be in charge, but for family reasons amongst others he isn't.
If the current set up is what Paddy recommended I will go with it as he got most things right for us both on & off the field.
The kicking drives me insane, but providing it's part of the journey, not the destination I will suffer a bit longer, the trouble is it's often badly executed.
Agreed, Paddy would have been an ideal appointment. But that ship has sailed.
The poor execution - no excuse as far as I am concerned. If we had an inexperienced pairing at 9 + 10 there could be some allowance, but not with the pair we have. In Sundays game one example, late on ruck formed in our 22, Carley says 'Inside' (twice I think?) Youngs looks at Carley and asks, Carley says again 'yes, inside'. Youngs proceeds to hoof the ball down the park with it staying 5 or 6 metres in field straight to Quins player! A couple of minutes later from well outside 22 he boots it straight into touch. Inexcusable.

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1207
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: Pat Howard

Post by Cardiff Tig » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:11 am

fentiger wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:55 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:42 am
In the ideal world Paddy would be in charge, but for family reasons amongst others he isn't.
If the current set up is what Paddy recommended I will go with it as he got most things right for us both on & off the field.
The kicking drives me insane, but providing it's part of the journey, not the destination I will suffer a bit longer, the trouble is it's often badly executed.
Agreed, Paddy would have been an ideal appointment. But that ship has sailed.
The poor execution - no excuse as far as I am concerned. If we had an inexperienced pairing at 9 + 10 there could be some allowance, but not with the pair we have. In Sundays game one example, late on ruck formed in our 22, Carley says 'Inside' (twice I think?) Youngs looks at Carley and asks, Carley says again 'yes, inside'. Youngs proceeds to hoof the ball down the park with it staying 5 or 6 metres in field straight to Quins player! A couple of minutes later from well outside 22 he boots it straight into touch. Inexcusable.
That ship sailed 13 years ago. Howard has shown no interest in coming back to Leicester!

sapajo
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4688
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: Pat Howard

Post by sapajo » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:22 am

sam16111986 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:29 am
sapajo wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:26 am
The fact is that our disastrously executed kicking game plan is now 2 seasons in the making and it began when Murphy was appointed Head Coach and despite the appointment of Borthwick it has continued. That is the truth despite all the spin from the club deployed to counter it.
Actually there's a significant difference to the kicking game pre and post lockdown. We previously kicked long looking to get the ball onto the floor to give us time to set the defensive line and move up the field. A 2007 era tactic really. Since Borthwick has arrived we now predominantly kick to compete (when we execute correctly) which is the tactic commonly seen by Sarries and England (Exeter as well when they do kick). As we have Nadolo on the wing he tends to be the target and that makes sense.
Thanks for your insight, for me the question remains do we have the players capable of correctly executing an effective kicking game?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity

Grumpy of Crumbie
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:22 pm
Location: Narborough

Re: Pat Howard

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:39 am

I’m just glad that I’m not on the bus with the significant of posters who have decided after little more than 3 months that despite having a new bus, with a new driver, on a different route and a change in stops it is on the road to nowhere!!!
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 6269
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Burbage

Re: Pat Howard

Post by JP14 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:48 am

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:42 am
In the ideal world Paddy would be in charge, but for family reasons amongst others he isn't.
If the current set up is what Paddy recommended I will go with it as he got most things right for us both on & off the field.
The kicking drives me insane, but providing it's part of the journey, not the destination I will suffer a bit longer, the trouble is it's often badly executed.
In an ideal world, Paddy should never have left in the first place. No bad blood at all he left for family which is perfectly reasonable and if he had stayed he still wouldn't have been here now but nonetheless one of the great what ifs...
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 6269
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Burbage

Re: Pat Howard

Post by JP14 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:49 am

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:39 am
I’m just glad that I’m not on the bus with the significant of posters who have decided after little more than 3 months that despite having a new bus, with a new driver, on a different route and a change in stops it is on the road to nowhere!!!
We're on the road to nowhere :smt030
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4219
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: Pat Howard

Post by sam16111986 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:44 am

sapajo wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:22 am
sam16111986 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:29 am
sapajo wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:26 am
The fact is that our disastrously executed kicking game plan is now 2 seasons in the making and it began when Murphy was appointed Head Coach and despite the appointment of Borthwick it has continued. That is the truth despite all the spin from the club deployed to counter it.
Actually there's a significant difference to the kicking game pre and post lockdown. We previously kicked long looking to get the ball onto the floor to give us time to set the defensive line and move up the field. A 2007 era tactic really. Since Borthwick has arrived we now predominantly kick to compete (when we execute correctly) which is the tactic commonly seen by Sarries and England (Exeter as well when they do kick). As we have Nadolo on the wing he tends to be the target and that makes sense.
Thanks for your insight, for me the question remains do we have the players capable of correctly executing an effective kicking game?
As our halfbacks have well over 150 caps between them the coaches have a right to expect we should.

Tiglon
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2510
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Pat Howard

Post by Tiglon » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:31 pm

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:39 am
I’m just glad that I’m not on the bus with the significant of posters who have decided after little more than 3 months that despite having a new bus, with a new driver, on a different route and a change in stops it is on the road to nowhere!!!
It may be a new bus with a new driver, but it's still the 101 to Eleventh Place, with regular stops at Defeat.

Hopefully there will be a few diversions to Victory next season, and perhaps an amended termination at Anywhere Less Embarrassing.

ay2oh
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:53 am
Location: leicester

Re: Pat Howard

Post by ay2oh » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:37 pm

There are a lot of glass half empty posters on this forum :smt016
A2O

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Re: Pat Howard

Post by Traveller » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:04 pm

ay2oh wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:37 pm
There are a lot of glass half empty posters on this forum :smt016
Well to be fair, (and I say this as a definite half full merchant) if it was a court case, the prosecuting barrister would address the jury along the lines of:

'Members of the jury Tigers have finished 11th in the premiership for the last two seasons. In the last two seasons they have won 13-44 games. In 2018-2019 they accumulated 41 points' and had a the worst defensive record on the league conceding 632. Even worse than the team relegated. This season they finished 5 points behind the newly promoted team, 40 points behind the promoted team from 2018-2019 and accumulated a mere 29 points. Eleven fewer than the previous season. They had the worst attacking record in the premiership this year and the 2nd worst defensive record conceding 609. I put it to you the team is getting worse not better.

Now the defence ................

I hasten to add. I'm an optimist and positive about the future - but the half empty merchants do have a point.

Tiglon
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2510
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Pat Howard

Post by Tiglon » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:05 pm

ay2oh wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:37 pm
There are a lot of glass half empty posters on this forum :smt016
:smt005 here we go again!

It is possible to be a positive person but also recognise that Tigers' recent results haven't been very good because, well, they do lose a lot of games!

I mean, being the worst team in the league probably deserves at least a little criticism, doesn't it??

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], kpj tiger and 2 guests