Bonus Points

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ashurstwoodtiger

Bonus Points

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Looking at ESPN Site it was bonus points (as well as poor play) that cost us 10th place so it was lack of trys etc that cost us 35 for 79 against. Nuff said.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Bonus Points

Post by tigerburnie »

I'm sure lack of winning cost us more points
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Basically we conceded too many points and didn't score enough. If only we'd known at the start of the season that scoring more points and conceding fewer would result in a higher league position...
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

It's a serious point though.

Even when we were slipping down the table to 4th place the lack of bonus points (try or losing) was costing us at least one league position. It makes a difference if you add on another 6-8 bonus points to our final points total.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Yep, Its been the same for a few seasons.

Before the Bristol game I commented that (at that point) we'd won a game more than Irish and lost a game less than Wuss, but they both had something like 8 bp's to our 2. If we're gonna lose games we need to start getting something out of it. Something I hope will happen due to Aled Walters input meaning we can fight to the finish.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Silly, easily avoidable errors cost us lps and arguably wins too against Gloucester, Sale and Harlequins.

Would be nice if we weren't conceding tries left, right and centre, I am seeing improvements (i.e. one-on-one hits in the tight tend to be good) but technique and in the wide channels seem to be letting us down.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Our problem is we lose big and win small 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:29 pm Our problem is we lose big and win small 😂
And we do not have the rub with the Referees, the TMO's appear to use "Is there any reason I cannot award a try" and certain players are highlighted by others as penalty magnets + we kick the ball away outside the 22 and fail to defend the rebound.
Quote ~ BF "Points make prizes!"
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

wormus wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:36 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:29 pm Our problem is we lose big and win small 😂
And we do not have the rub with the Referees, the TMO's appear to use "Is there any reason I cannot award a try" and certain players are highlighted by others as penalty magnets + we kick the ball away outside the 22 and fail to defend the rebound.
Quote ~ BF "Points make prizes!"
Honestly don't think we do get hard done by with the officiating, it's just more noticeable when there's a bad call against us because our opponents capitalise and score a try due to our poor defence. When we get one go our way, we rarely take advantage so it goes unnoticed.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Be careful. Your saying things we all know is true but don’t want to openly admit. Otherwise who would we boo in a mock panto style on match day?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:46 pm Be careful. Your saying things we all know is true but don’t want to openly admit. Otherwise who would we boo in a mock panto style on match day?
Nigel Wray. Or at least a Nigel Wray lookalike we can trot out at every home game and boo at theatrically.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:46 pm Be careful. Your saying things we all know is true but don’t want to openly admit. Otherwise who would we boo in a mock panto style on match day?
Some of the performances from the team this season have only been fit for pantomime.

That being said Exeter are the best fit for;

Where's the offside line Boys and Girls?

IT'S BEHIND YOU!!!
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Being honest , I don't care where or how the points come so long as we get more next season than we managed this season....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

ads wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:49 pm Yep, Its been the same for a few seasons.

Before the Bristol game I commented that (at that point) we'd won a game more than Irish and lost a game less than Wuss, but they both had something like 8 bp's to our 2. If we're gonna lose games we need to start getting something out of it. Something I hope will happen due to Aled Walters input meaning we can fight to the finish.
Totally agree, I’ve been saying this for the last couple of seasons. We pick up very few BP’s from wins and when we lose we get spanked. I can take a narrow BP loss quite well. BP’s would have made the difference of a couple of league positions.