Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Quins - 04 Oct 20 15:00

Post by Dangerous4 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:14 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:12 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:04 pm We also won one more game last season so technically if you were to simplify it,if anything we have gone backwards!
Scott, yet again you go looking for the negatives....this season cannot be compared to last seasons. The fight to stay up this season was not an issue given Saracens transgressions. If it had been, I expect the team selections would have been different.
Scrum, maul, lineouts, fitness and defence (in part) has improved.
Players have been given opportunities for the new Head Coach to see them in action and has started the rebuilding.
Rome was not built overnight. Judge it on next season and I personally believe that we will be in a better position.
It’s not negative,it’s the truth! And if there wasn’t a danger of going down why persevere with a turgid gameplan like that instead of taking the shackles off?!
Well said Scott. :smt023

I am dreading next season. Will we be the clowns of the Premiership again? If G M has a say, then it is distinctly possible. As a player he was a legend, but since, ........!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Like last season there is plenty of talent in the squad BUT Borthwick should now do all the interviews and I’d have thought if he looks at keeping the ball more we can be a very good team.
Learn to look after the ball and if you do kick at least make touch then at least the opposition should have to work very hard to make yardage.
I just hope we can get back to Welford Road to do our best to lift the team.
Nadolo, Wallace, Henry look to be very good signings.
Hanro Liebenberg has really impressed me at 8, Wells has shown he should partner Lavanini and Reffell should only get better.
Freddie Steward is very impressive and I thought Van Wyk showed he will be a very good back.
I’ve always liked a Geordan but he must step back to let Borthwick rule.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:04 pm We also won one more game last season so technically if you were to simplify it,if anything we have gone backwards!
Scott, yet again you go looking for the negatives....this season cannot be compared to last seasons. The fight to stay up this season was not an issue given Saracens transgressions. If it had been, I expect the team selections would have been different.
Players have been given opportunities for the new Head Coach to see them in action and has started the rebuilding.
Rome was not built overnight. Judge it on next season and I personally believe that we will be in a better position.
It’s not negative,it’s the truth! And if there wasn’t a danger of going down why persevere with a turgid gameplan like that instead of taking the shackles off?!
I could not agree more, we have no invention going forward, we get tackled behind the gainline 80% of the time, then we hoof it back too long or out on the full, this has been Tigers for the past few seasons, nothing has changed. This season has been an unmitigated disaster IMHO, selection all over the place, sound thrashings from all and sundry, very few positive points but they are far outweighed by the negatives.
I am a very long term and very disappointed fan, I have not been able to watch any of our games this season all the way through, such has been the dire nature of our play.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

BengalTiger wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:50 pm
I could not agree more, we have no invention going forward, we get tackled behind the gainline 80% of the time, then we hoof it back too long or out on the full, this has been Tigers for the past few seasons, nothing has changed. This season has been an unmitigated disaster IMHO, selection all over the place, sound thrashings from all and sundry, very few positive points but they are far outweighed by the negatives.
I am a very long term and very disappointed fan, I have not been able to watch any of our games this season all the way through, such has been the dire nature of our play.
Very true,almost unwatchable at times!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:19 pm Contrasting sides in a very watchable game.
A one score dead rubber of a game so nothing to get massively worked up about in my opinion.
Quins played better than on paper, particularly their midfield carrying, even long off the ruck they were pretty handy at it to beat Leicester's rush which got good momentum for them on occasions.
Get him close enough and Nadolo is a beast.
Remember Quins beat Sale so they are no mugs.
They were rumoured to be paying Esterhuizen significant money to make the move and you can see why. He adds some serious physicality to their midfield in defence and attack. Frees up space for some of those electric back three players. Marchant was on fire for Quins today. The battle between him and Nadolo was a good watch.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.therug ... mands/amp/

I did feel a bit frustrated at the final whistle, we left points out there with Scott dropping that pass 5m out and van Wyk not quite managing the finish. We could have had two penalty tries as well which would have meant an additional 4 points as Ford missed conversions for both of the tries that followed shortly after. We did play more ball in hand than we have for some time though which was a nice change. A little more clinical and we could have had 5 points today.
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

Well at least the seasons over now. My nerves deserve the next few weeks off.

Pleased with that performance but few silly errors yet again cost us. Wells is a lock - keep him in that position. Thought he was excellent today. Luke Wallace put in a brilliant shift as did Reffell and Liebenberg. Would still like to have seen my favourite Sam Lewis in that team - he needs the game time!!!

Read in the Rugby Paper that Tigers are looking for injury replacement for Lavanini - why? you have Wells, Green, Enever - youngsters such as Henderson, Chessum (who are not flankers!) Martin - although may not be fit before Lavanini. The youngsters should be used with a mix of the team that played today. Promising signs but I am still worried that we may stay in the Prem by the skin of our teeth again next season. :smt010
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:51 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:19 pm Contrasting sides in a very watchable game.
A one score dead rubber of a game so nothing to get massively worked up about in my opinion.
Quins played better than on paper, particularly their midfield carrying, even long off the ruck they were pretty handy at it to beat Leicester's rush which got good momentum for them on occasions.
Get him close enough and Nadolo is a beast.
Remember Quins beat Sale so they are no mugs.
They were rumoured to be paying Esterhuizen significant money to make the move and you can see why. He adds some serious physicality to their midfield in defence and attack. Frees up space for some of those electric back three players. Marchant was on fire for Quins today. The battle between him and Nadolo was a good watch.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.therug ... mands/amp/

I did feel a bit frustrated at the final whistle, we left points out there with Scott dropping that pass 5m out and van Wyk not quite managing the finish. We could have had two penalty tries as well which would have meant an additional 4 points as Ford missed conversions for both of the tries that followed shortly after. We did play more ball in hand than we have for some time though which was a nice change. A little more clinical and we could have had 5 points today.
I thought it was the best contest since the restart.
A few bad habits and a bit frustrating to be just on the wrong side of the score but I reckon had something actually been on the game and a crowd in WR then Leicester might've got a bit more out of it.
I enjoyed seeing two flankers playing at flanker, I thought that worked.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I like the Double trouble 7s too 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:09 pm I like the Double trouble 7s too 👍
That’s one thing we can agree on! :smt002
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

We have a back row of riches. I said in the transfer thread we could possibly use Hanro as lock when the Saffers get here.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Well I thought that was enjoyable to watch. Enjoyable because I finally saw a glimpse of the type of team and play we will have next season. What a back line in the making! To me it showed there is no way we will finish last next season.

I think some people forget SB has only been here around 3 months and during a time when the whole world has gone to hell in a handcart. I’ve watched Tigers self destruct in slow motion over 6+ years. SB and the new coaches are doing a rebuild that will take seasons not games and it’s already pretty obvious which areas have been worked on. In fact I’d already give Aled a gold medal for sorting the fitness and conditioning. That’s been a quick win. And I no longer put my fingers over my eyes when we have a line out!

So personally, I think everyone needs to chill and enjoy the ride over the next few years. There are genuine problems in the world to get worried about - Leicester Tigers losing to Quins on a dead rubber is not one of them. But I guess some people just enjoy being positivity hoovers.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

When I started watching Tigers we played rugby that was good to watch, we treasured the ball we won & the backs used it creatively, watching our play for many seasons when we get the ball we look all over the place & try to run through people rather than in the gaps, this has resulted in some strange recruitment & retention of players.
What was noticeable over the past 2 weekend games was better attacking play when the game was less structured, its Ford that worries me as he seems unwilling or unable to play to the strengths of those around him with Tigers, with England a different picture, this can't be just coaching it's a mindset.
Give Borthwick credit the lineout is much improved & even inventive at times today, but that's his real strength as a coach, he has much to prove as an overall Head Coach.
At present we look a team less than the sum of its parts, whether that is coaching or the players themselves is still not obvious.
I still await some of the positions being picked on form not face.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Completely off topic, but am keen to consign the last 12months on field performances to the memory bin.

Joe Browning.

Anyone else disappointed not to have seen any of him during the post lockdown period? From the (albeit few) minutes I’ve seen of him in both development and 7s, he looks absolutely rapid, very similar to a young Varndell. Think we’ve missed a trick in not seeing what he’s got about him in what is being labelled a fact finding for
SB etc
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:11 pm
Traveller wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:08 pm Is it fair to assume that we just can't be worse next season?
Nope, we finished 11th this season, there's one space below us :smt003
Huge gnashing of teeth. I forgot that. Maybe Barf can come to the rescue and have their financial records checked? Maybe thats the future.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:07 pm I thought it was the best contest since the restart.
A few bad habits and a bit frustrating to be just on the wrong side of the score but I reckon had something actually been on the game and a crowd in WR then Leicester might've got a bit more out of it.
I enjoyed seeing two flankers playing at flanker, I thought that worked.
Agree with all that. Particularly the flankers. We were an absolute nightmare at the breakdown, we slowed ball down and got turnovers. Really liked the Wallace and Reffell combination. Hopefully see one of them paired with Taufua and an 8 a lot more next season so we have physicality and that competitiveness. If we could consign the lock at 6 tactic to the bin that would be nice. Especially when we have some more options coming in.