Tigers vs Quins - 04 Oct 20 15:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Quins - 04 Oct 20 15:00

Post by kk20gb30 »

A bad ending to a bad season - can't or wont pretend anything otherwise.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
BG01

Post by BG01 »

Van Wyk was fine, he man marked Earle and came off his wing well to tackle him and generally his positioning was decent. He could have done better with that finish but it's hard coming into a new team. I'm not sure it's fair to call his SR tries walk-ins, it's more that he's a great finisher and makes it look easy as a result, same with players like strettle.

To add balance, the reason people are a bit mixed on Murimurivalu is that he was really poor in the Toulon game. Apart from that game he has looked good. He wasn't the only one to have a poor game and so I don't think we should be quick to judge.

All in all the individual performances were good vs Quins and we looked better in attack than we have all season. Hopefully the , preseason gives time to work on our systems and players to keep improving their fitness. If so, mid-table seems very doable.
Never believe generalisations
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Well I hope for three things:
1 there is a considerable improvement across the board next season in performance and game plan
2 the soap operas in some people's heads about Murphy ceases before it turns into the vicious and appalling social media attacks on Cohen (which were present in the real world).
3 we actually get to WR for a game.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:34 am Well I hope for three things:
1 there is a considerable improvement across the board next season in performance and game plan
2 the soap operas in some people's heads about Murphy ceases before it turns into the vicious and appalling social media attacks on Cohen (which were present in the real world).
3 we actually get to WR for a game.
1. Agreed
2. Soap Opera? Nothing wrong with expressing an opinion as long as its not vicious or appalling
3. Agreed
Last edited by sapajo on Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Can I congratulate our back row - IMHO - the best unit we have at present. The worst performance for me was our half backs. Our up and under kicking only works if both parts function. The up happened but rarely did the under - we played this way when we had Johny May to chase - Nadolo is not a chaser, he is a battering ram so why we kick to his side is simply wrong. We need him to have the ball in hand with followers for the offload he looks for. We have to develop and trust our centers and play them there every time. Poor old Murimurivalu has played full back, wing and center in his 3 appearances for us so far - how can he settle into the way we are playing or how can the rest get used to him. I do hope that when the full squad is assembled next season we have some consistency in where we play people
Hehehehehehehehe
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

O.K that season has finished, good, early results were marred by players being away for the World Cup, mis season we started to perform better then the pandemic struck. Results since the restart have been poor, many are saying that were it not for Saracens we would have been relegated, that maybe true but it is not provable as the Saracens situation was always a factor and probably affected team selection as Borthwick took the opportunity to learn about his squad. An earlier poster said we have decent individuals but we are not yet a team, that is not surprising with inconsistent selection and the recent arrival of some recruits.
When the new season starts in about six weeks time we need to hit the ground running, by then we should know basically our first team and our game plan. There can be no excuses, obviously we will not win every match but we must be seen to be performing even in the ones we lose there can be no more defeats by 30 or 40 points and we must be winning more than we lose. I feel recent recruitment has answered some of the concerns that supporters have expressed and we now have greater depth in the squad but that has to translate into results on the pitch or even my optimism and positivity will become tested,
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:59 am O.K that season has finished, good, early results were marred by players being away for the World Cup, mis season we started to perform better then the pandemic struck. Results since the restart have been poor, many are saying that were it not for Saracens we would have been relegated, that maybe true but it is not provable as the Saracens situation was always a factor and probably affected team selection as Borthwick took the opportunity to learn about his squad. An earlier poster said we have decent individuals but we are not yet a team, that is not surprising with inconsistent selection and the recent arrival of some recruits.
When the new season starts in about six weeks time we need to hit the ground running, by then we should know basically our first team and our game plan. There can be no excuses, obviously we will not win every match but we must be seen to be performing even in the ones we lose there can be no more defeats by 30 or 40 points and we must be winning more than we lose. I feel recent recruitment has answered some of the concerns that supporters have expressed and we now have greater depth in the squad but that has to translate into results on the pitch or even my optimism and positivity will become tested,
:smt023
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

I really want to see the positives but really that was dreadful.

It shouldn't have been a surprise how a Gustard coached side would play (regardless of firsts, seconds or Colts, the recent Quins have been strong on implementing the 'house style' throughout the grades), but Tigers didn't seem prepared for it.

I'm not sure they did set out to learn more about the squad. Really they played a senior side and a seconds; a situation that was forced on them due to midweek games rather than a coaching choice. IMHO if you wanted to find out more about the players, the sides needed to be mixed up more.

Borthwick is undoubtedly a decent coach but he is also new to the lead role. It's not just the team that has some development to do.

Still, they have 3 weeks of pre-season to prepare for the next one. And new players to bring in to the side. And a new 'Tigers ethos' to develop. Easy really.....
CharlieTiger

Post by CharlieTiger »

Tigers sole tactic seemed give it to the big guy.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

I thought Tommy Reffell had a magnificent game and really out played ex Tiger Will Evans who many on here if I recall were damming that we had lost Evans and made little attempt to retain him.
These last few games have highlighted to me the players we must retain I only hope the Management agree. :smt038 :smt038
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

wormus wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:27 pm I thought Tommy Reffell had a magnificent game and really out played ex Tiger Will Evans who many on here if I recall were damming that we had lost Evans and made little attempt to retain him.
These last few games have highlighted to me the players we must retain I only hope the Management agree. :smt038 :smt038
I think the problem with Evans is his injury record as well, I was one that wasn't happy he left, but we didn't know Reffell was going to turn out as good & as quickly, still sorry Evans left as the pair could of played together with a big No.8, Evans was on EJs radar plus he was the deciding factor in the U20s RWC for England.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Watched Nemani’s try back and it’s interesting to see off the scrum and then off Youngs’ dart, there is some form of diamond shape by the next 4 attackers - interesting to see as this was the same shape Bath played when they reached the final with Ford at 10 in 2015.

Back play and some glimpses of attacking form showed in the second half - if we can keep the ball more and stop kicking it away as others have eluded to, we might throw some decent shapes next season!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

wormus wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:27 pm I thought Tommy Reffell had a magnificent game and really out played ex Tiger Will Evans who many on here if I recall were damming that we had lost Evans and made little attempt to retain him.
Agreed that Reffell had another very good game and outplayed Evans.

That doesn't change the fact that Will is a very good player that deserved to be starting ahead of Brendon O'Connor on form but had to move on for chances. Similar story to Thacker in the end. Both got opportunities early and impressed, then their playing time tailed off and an opportunity to progress elsewhere came up.

Tommy is the better talent but given he's one of the most impressive opensides of his age in all of rugby that hardly means Evans wasn't worth fighting to retain. Also worth noting I think that Will effectively replaced Luke Wallace's spot in the Quins squad. Given how good Wallace has been since signing for Tigers I think that's a good signal of Will's talents. He's also performed well enough for Quins that they are yet to sign a senior flanker to replace Robshaw.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

To be honest given Wallace’s performances for us this season, I’m shocked Harlequins let him go. I think he’s been excellent whenever he’s worn the Tigers shirt and obviously has a great work ethic. Especially when playing in a weakened team, he has always stood out. Going into next season the backrow is probably our best position given the strength in depth we have.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Frustrating end to a very frustrating season. A game of 2 halves.. first half: kick, kick, kick handing possession back to a dangerous Quins backs division. Second half: offloads, support runners, better attacking structure and kicking as a last resort more often than not. Lost the first half 17-11, drew the second half 15-15. Some positives, excellent at the breakdown perhaps unsurprisingly with Reffell and Wallace on the field (and Leatigaga but Carley didn't seem to want to let us have that penalty... shame!) Nadolo is a real machine on the wing and takes some stopping.. just what we need. Van Wyk I thought played ok on his debut and was inches away from scoring what could have been the winning try.. he will settle in and be a great option on the opposite wing.

Disappointed not to get the win to sign off the 2019/20 campaign with a win but let's move on and hope for a better season come Nov!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!