Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

International call up chaos

Post by tigerburnie »

https://www.planetrugby.com/england-sta ... hip-games/
Assuming we lose 3 to England, will we lose any others during this period do we think?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: International call up chaos

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

tigerburnie wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:52 pm https://www.planetrugby.com/england-sta ... hip-games/
Assuming we lose 3 to England, will we lose any others during this period do we think?
Likely to lose
Genge
Youngs (even if only for one more cap)
Ford

Possibly lose
Cole
Scott

Slim Possibility of losing
Reffell
White
Steward (possibly extended squad call up)

Lose for the Autumn Internationals which look to include Fiji & Georgia (but for a chunk less time than others)
Murimurivalu
Mamukashvili

I doubt quite few of those will be gone. Ford may not even go, but they are I think the only ones realistically on anyone's radar (unless there's some barnstorming performances between now and then)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I wouldn't be surprised if Steward is called up as an apprentice player, but for the most part it will be Genge, Youngs & Ford.

I also reckon there's a fair chance of Gigena being called up for Argentina.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:44 am I wouldn't be surprised if Steward is called up as an apprentice player, but for the most part it will be Genge, Youngs & Ford.

I also reckon there's a fair chance of Gigena being called up for Argentina.
And Lavanini and Moroni. Although Argentina will only be competing in the Rugby Championship so they will be available for most of the season just not Nov and first part of Dec
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
nasher

Post by nasher »

Given the salary cap and England internationals are the highest paid no point in employing them to play a few club games. The press say a number of clubs are going bust, so economic sense says get rid save money.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I'd have thought that recruitment allows for distractions for international callups.
The pinnacle of all players is to represent their respective countries and Tigers has embraced this ethos.

My question would be - At present do we have depth of quality to mitigate these distractions.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Hopefully so
The big thing that could screw us is Argentina selections and the PI selections.
Leatigaga and Gigena getting picked would mean our first 3 Looseheads gone.

According to Rugby paper if we are looking at a Loosehead, Tighthead, 13 and Winger, which with the Bonilla signing I am willing to believe is the case.

Worst case team could be
1. Bower, 2. Youngs, 3. Heyes,
4. Wells, 5. Green
6. Brink, 7. Taufua, 8. Liebenberg
9. White, 10. Bonilla
12. Taute, 13. Porter
11. Van Wyk, 14. Potter, 15. Steward

16. Clare, 17. Whitcombe, 18. Dimen
19. Henderson, 20. Wiese
21. JVP, 22, Henry, 23. Williams

Now with good recruitment we might be able to find players who will be bigger/better/more experienced bridges than say Bower, Dimen, Taute, Williams.

and that too me is the absolute worst case and highly unlikely. Even if Bonilla was picked Henry is still a really promising 10.

It's still not a bad team that back row with the likes of Wiese and Reffell could be IMO one of the best.
Bonilla is a 10 who took his super rugby team to the final and Henry has looked excellent.
Van Wyk and Potter have both shown in games i have seen to be effective strike runners.
and Steward been very impressive
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:07 pm Hopefully so
The big thing that could screw us is Argentina selections and the PI selections.
Leatigaga and Gigena getting picked would mean our first 3 Looseheads gone.

According to Rugby paper if we are looking at a Loosehead, Tighthead, 13 and Winger, which with the Bonilla signing I am willing to believe is the case.

Worst case team could be
1. Bower, 2. Youngs, 3. Heyes,
4. Wells, 5. Green
6. Brink, 7. Taufua, 8. Liebenberg
9. White, 10. Bonilla
12. Taute, 13. Porter
11. Van Wyk, 14. Potter, 15. Steward

16. Clare, 17. Whitcombe, 18. Dimen
19. Henderson, 20. Wiese
21. JVP, 22, Henry, 23. Williams

Now with good recruitment we might be able to find players who will be bigger/better/more experienced bridges than say Bower, Dimen, Taute, Williams.

and that too me is the absolute worst case and highly unlikely. Even if Bonilla was picked Henry is still a really promising 10.

It's still not a bad team that back row with the likes of Wiese and Reffell could be IMO one of the best.
Bonilla is a 10 who took his super rugby team to the final and Henry has looked excellent.
Van Wyk and Potter have both shown in games i have seen to be effective strike runners.
and Steward been very impressive
Not sure you can class Henry as promising. He's not a young player anymore so development is going to be less obvious than say for a 20 year old. He's definitely an asset on the front foot but I'm glad the club have signed Bonilla as well.