Tigers vs Bristol

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Bristol

Post by ABClub »

Bunchy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:12 am Guys - we cant play the 1st XV for all 3 games - so be prepared for a much rotated side tomorrow and a return for the 1st XV on Sunday
Agreed that we can't see full strength for all games. It's also fair to say that having gone with first XV for one game then lambs to the slaughter for the next that fans can at the very least have expected good performances (and maybe even results...) when the first XV is picked. That really hasn't happened though to be honest.

My biggest frustration remains Lenny and Ford being picked as a partnership. They aren't playing at their best and their backups are putting in performances deserving of starts behind stronger packs. In my opinion we'd have seen far more player development from Youngs partnering Henry and White partnering Ford.

I think we've seen positives from lots of the forwards as individuals, several of the back three players and the lineout. In between that we've learned that White and Henry should be trusted to come on earlier if their international counterparts aren't performing. At centre we've learned that we really need Moroni to arrive and another signing on top of him.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Teams up:
TIGERS XV

15 Freddie Steward (vc)

14 Harry Potter

13 Dan Kelly

12 George Worth

11 Harry Simmons

10 Zack Henry

9 Ben White (vc)

1 Facundo Gigena

2 Jake Kerr

3 Joe Heyes

4 Cameron Henderson

5 Blake Enever

6 Ollie Chessum

7 Luke Wallace (vc)

8 Thom Smith (c)

REPLACEMENTS

16 Shalva Mamukashvili

17 Ryan Bower

18 Nephi Leatigaga

19 Sam Lewis

20 Jordan Coghlan

21 Jack Van Poortvliet

22 Johnny McPhillips

23 David Williams
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Bristol Bears team news

Bristol Bears: 15. Ioan Lloyd; 14. Niyi Adeolokun, 13. Piers O’Conor, 12. Sam Bedlow, 11. Alapati Leiua; 10. Callum Sheedy, 9. Andy Uren; 1. Yann Thomas, 2. Bryan Byrne, 3. Kyle Sinckler, 4. Dave Attwood, 5. Joe Joyce, 6. Steven Luatua (c), 7. Dan Thomas, 8. Nathan Hughes.

Replacements: 16. Harry Thacker, 17. Max Lahiff, 18. Jake Woolmore, 19. Ed Holmes, 20. Jake Heenan, 21. Harry Randall, 22. Harry Ascherl, 23. Semi Radradra.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Surprised to see Callum Sheedy and Steven Luatua starting after playing 100 minutes in the Challenge Cup semi-final on Friday and Semi Radradra named on the bench.

Team pretty much as expected for Tigers. Great to see Enever back from whatever niggle was keeping him out and excited to see Mamu on the bench. Strong half back pairings for both sides, always enjoy watching Henry play and happy to see Steward back at 15.

Hoping for a good game :smt023
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Welp that's another 50 point hammering isn't it. To be expected with a Sat to Wed turnaround and nothing to play for but still, depressing.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

It appears that a few players are seemingly not getting into the 2nd XV now. Olowofela gone from first XV to not on the bench for the 2nd XV, he's hopefully been given a rocket in training and told he's got to prove he still deserves to be in the squad.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:10 pm Welp that's another 50 point hammering isn't it. To be expected with a Sat to Wed turnaround and nothing to play for but still, depressing.
Why? Player welfare not an issue with you? Giving the young players proper experience? I genuinely don't get why people are miffed by Tigers using this dead-rubber season to discover and develop, especially as it is uncovering both those with exciting promise and those with none.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:31 pm It appears that a few players are seemingly not getting into the 2nd XV now. Olowofela gone from first XV to not on the bench for the 2nd XV, he's hopefully been given a rocket in training and told he's got to prove he still deserves to be in the squad.
Nothing against the lad but can't see him getting above Nadolo, Murimurivalu, Potter, Van Wyk, Williams or Simmons in the pecking order. Had plenty of chances in strong teams and has never really done much and too weak in defence. Sadly I think he might struggle to get back into the first XV anytime soon
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Clearly Bristol need the result far more than we do and the respective team selections show that.

But I look forward to seeing what our guys can do even if it's a loss.

It's weird because these games are important for the players to get to know each other and the coaches and vice versa but in another way you just wan to see the season done, have a break and start afresh.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:10 pm Welp that's another 50 point hammering isn't it. To be expected with a Sat to Wed turnaround and nothing to play for but still, depressing.
I'd rather see us manage out players carefully than through key players into a game a couple of days after a hard fought semi final. Particularly because some of the players starting for Bristol played the full 100 minutes. I hope we keep it tight early doors and work them hard as some of them will tire pretty quickly.

I won't be surprised if Bristol lose two or three to injury during the game. They'll also be trying not to use Radrada off the bench as the limits on game time are 180 minutes in these three game weeks. Having played 100 (well 90 if you include the yellow card) if he plays tomorrow it very much limits what he can do on the weekend.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Tigers captained by a youngster, with two youngsters as VC's and one old head as a VC. Great opportunities for these guys and a great way to give leadership experience to the next generation. Rebuilding we are!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

DingDong wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:30 pm Tigers captained by a youngster, with two youngsters as VC's and one old head as a VC. Great opportunities for these guys and a great way to give leadership experience to the next generation. Rebuilding we are!
:smt023
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

As Bristol played on Friday it probably means they can play most of the first team squad again then as the last round of games is Sunday can play the players again. I too can see them picking up injuries by doing this.
It is good to play White and Henry together as we will hardly see Ford and Youngs in the 20/21 season!
Hopefully we will press hard and though I’m not a huge fan of continuously kicking ball away, v Bristol, if the chase is excellent they can make silly errors.
It could, however, be another Wasps type game!!
Come on Tigers.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:37 pm
Why? Player welfare not an issue with you? Giving the young players proper experience? I genuinely don't get why people are miffed by Tigers using this dead-rubber season to discover and develop, especially as it is uncovering both those with exciting promise and those with none.
Why does everything always have to be so black and white? It's entirely possible to fully understand the issues involved but still be dissapointed for the likely result.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hoping for a good run out and some progress. I fear a Wasps 50 pointer though,Bristol by 21-30 for me.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer