Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Bristol

Post by Scott1 »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:19 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:49 pm I’ll be happy with 11th next season. Realistically we will be fighting it out at the bottom end with Newcastle,LI and Wuss. Only have to be better than one of them and then thank God ring fencing saves us! COYT!
You really do need to cheer up! :smt023
Just being realistic mate. Aim low,then anything else is a bonus
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

15 Steward
14 Williams
13 Porter
12 Hardwick
11 Van Wyk
10 Henry
9 White
1 Gigena
2 Mamu
3 Leatigaga
4 Enever
5 Henderson
6 Lewis
7 Wallace
8 Coghlan

Or Similar starting line up.

I would have a plan to try and remove Van Wyk not too long in the second half. I see some are saying save him for Quins, personally I think he should be relatively match sharp and can play 60min in both depends how it goes.

I'm undecided about how we should structure the bench. This is likely to be a Bristol 2nd XV so there's a chance we may be still in it come the latter stages of the game in which case one or two top quality players on the bench could get us some points in this game
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Bristol certainly won't be focusing on their European final this week, they will be focusing on making it into the Premiership playoffs. That means beating Tigers and Irish.

Perhaps the way the fixtures have been arranged will force them to play a weaker side against us - but we'll be in the same boat so I'd still have Bristol as favourites.

Put out the strongest team we can from those who didn't start yesterday and then give Ford and friends a chance to end the season on a high by beating Quins at Welford Road.

Whether Van Wyk should be included depends on his fitness, how he's getting on in training etc. I suspect that if he is match fit he'll be on the bench.

15) Steward
14) Simmons
13) Porter
12) Hardwick
11) Williams
10) Henry
9) White
8) Smith
7) Wallace
6) Chessum
5) Henderson
4) Enever
3) Heyes
2) Kerr
1) Gigena

16) Clare
17) Bower
18) Leatigaga
19) Coghlan
20) Lewis
21) Van Wyk
22) Ford
23) Kelly
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I wouldn't play Henry, I'd save him for the weekend side, until George Ford's ego stops booting the ball away all the time and instead runs what ever attacking plan the new guy is trying to implement is we will never truly know if we are making progress in attack, Harwick (or whomever is the next 10 in the development squad) for 10 in this game. Same goes for Ben Youngs, these 2 highly experience international half backs seem incapable of doing anything other than kick the ball away (badly), White, Simmons or JVP until his ego gets back in check
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I’d seriously think about using Henry at 15 like McKenzie and Goode as the second playmaker. Gives us more options going forward. What’s his fundamentals at FB like though?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Do you really think Mr Lam will be looking for a dead rubber against Tigers, even with a Second choice team.

"We go out to win every game"(SB) So I expect to see a strong second choice team ourselves.
Pride is all we have for the next couple of games so lets leave it all out there on the field.

We have become experts of not executing , missing one off tackles. Add to that our poor kicking game.
I hope we do have a master plan for the next couple of seasons, because at present I am clutching on to a squad that doesn't play like a team. Signs of improvement become lost in poor decision making and individual errors. Please look after the ball better.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Henry is a fly half - period! This talk of putting him in the centre or fullback is nonsense as Tigers don’t need another «utility » three quarter/fullback. He’s proved his worth at 10 and his chances of being in the starting XV will come and I really hope he grabs them with both hands.
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:11 pm Henry is a fly half - period! This talk of putting him in the centre or fullback is nonsense as Tigers don’t need another «utility » three quarter/fullback. He’s proved his worth at 10 and his chances of being in the starting XV will come and I really hope he grabs them with both hands.
Don’t we? Have you saw some of our “attacking” play?!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:11 pm Henry is a fly half - period! This talk of putting him in the centre or fullback is nonsense as Tigers don’t need another «utility » three quarter/fullback. He’s proved his worth at 10 and his chances of being in the starting XV will come and I really hope he grabs them with both hands.
Especially as Hardwick has got on the wrong side of the coaches and JMcP hasn’t been anything special so far. Henry is class at 10, we need him to play there. 15 I’d hope is for Muri and Steward to fight it out for
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:15 pm
Don’t we? Have you saw some of our “attacking” play?!
The lads needs time to gel and the coaches need time to implement their plans.. it was never going to happen over night! Massive changes in staff and players.. Give it time Scott1, give it time :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:16 pm
Especially as Hardwick has got on the wrong side of the coaches and JMcP hasn’t been anything special so far. Henry is class at 10, we need him to play there. 15 I’d hope is for Muri and Steward to fight it out for
+1!
Semper in excretia
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:14 pm I wouldn't play Henry, I'd save him for the weekend side, until George Ford's ego stops booting the ball away all the time and instead runs what ever attacking plan the new guy is trying to implement is we will never truly know if we are making progress in attack, Harwick (or whomever is the next 10 in the development squad) for 10 in this game. Same goes for Ben Youngs, these 2 highly experience international half backs seem incapable of doing anything other than kick the ball away (badly), White, Simmons or JVP until his ego gets back in check
Kicking the ball away has nothing to do with Ford nor indeed his ego it is however as I have said many many times on here part of Murphys kicking game plan that he will not dispense with.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:08 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:14 pm I wouldn't play Henry, I'd save him for the weekend side, until George Ford's ego stops booting the ball away all the time and instead runs what ever attacking plan the new guy is trying to implement is we will never truly know if we are making progress in attack, Harwick (or whomever is the next 10 in the development squad) for 10 in this game. Same goes for Ben Youngs, these 2 highly experience international half backs seem incapable of doing anything other than kick the ball away (badly), White, Simmons or JVP until his ego gets back in check
Kicking the ball away has nothing to do with Ford nor indeed his ego it is however as I have said many many times on here part of Murphys kicking game plan that he will not dispense with.
So Murphy is still running things then?!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

beat me to it Scott, we have been told that Steve Borthwick is in total charge of all on field decisions, we have a new attacking coach yet nothing has changed?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:11 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:08 pm
So Murphy is still running things then?!
He is Borthwicks boss is he not ?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity