Fans supporting the club.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Fans supporting the club.

Post by chewbacca »

A Save Our Club movement could be workable as Tigers have a decent sized fan base. The burning question is save it for what. Can the other clubs in the premiership be saved? If not who would we play? It might be that fans need to support Tigers with a view to the sport exiting the professional era and returning to amateur status. That shouldn't be done overnight, there are peoples livelihoods on the line so financial support as the strategy is executed would be the right thing.
I'm not cynical just experienced
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:49 am
jgriffin wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:39 am The two are interlinked, but regardless of what transpires, Chiefs, Sarries, Bath etc will survive. We are less certain. Rise up like Tigers!
OK here's a question.
Will chiefs survive if this was long term
They are making a profit but isn't that all though the business side?
Match tickets
Hospitality. etc
Like every other club without a Lansdown, Craig and Wray?
Tony Rowe has never struck me as a waste money type of guy.
My understanding was that a significant proportion of Chiefs revenue comes through conferencing and banqueting events which Sandy Park is well regarded for. The conferencing side of things could be an issue in the longer term as well as immediate given that a lot of businesses have seen how effectively work can be done remotely.

Banqueting is a lucrative industry but is taking even more of a hammering than the rest of hospitality right now with no end in sight.

Whilst Chiefs will be taking a hammering in that regard, conversely SW Comms are in a sector that is growing out of this. For sports teams with big investors the fear is often that if the investors business struggles then their pet projects will be the first to go. That shouldn't be the case for Rowe and SW Comms currently though.
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

Like many, I have already donated the remaining part of this season's Season Tickets for me and my son. I also paid for our Season Tickets for the coming 2020/2021 season back in March before all this nonsense kicked in.
If there was a serious risk of the club failing, I could probably consider another "donation" but I'm sure that not all fans, however loyal and long standing they are would be financially able to do so. There is so much financial and economic uncertainty around at the moment, any spend on anything other than essentials is put on hold for many of us.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

chewbacca wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:12 am A Save Our Club movement could be workable as Tigers have a decent sized fan base. The burning question is save it for what. Can the other clubs in the premiership be saved? If not who would we play? It might be that fans need to support Tigers with a view to the sport exiting the professional era and returning to amateur status. That shouldn't be done overnight, there are peoples livelihoods on the line so financial support as the strategy is executed would be the right thing.
Whether professional or amateur I personally think the principle of saving the club still holds good. Who we play would, I believe, be for debate as other leagues struggle.....we could merge the Prem and Pro 14 for example. Pro 14 already talking about adding more SA teams. On the financial detail maybe a hybrid of full shareholder and crowd fund could be a way. As has been stated getting 20,000 fans to buy in for £3k is alot of fans and there are unintended consequences to that as others have said. But if we set the figure at something to get the club through the next season the numbers are more achievable; just as an example 5,000 fans getting shares for £1k brings the club £5m. You could set the figure to achieve the end required.
As Good As It Gets
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

Let's not forget that the Tigers brand has a global reach through the clubs history, recruitment and recently where overseas training academies have been run. If crowdfunding or similar then the club shouldn't be scared of attracting some of those people to buy into the club and feel part of it. Via digital means you could create a regular targeted package of information and merchandise in return for their investment.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scuttle wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:01 am
chewbacca wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:12 am A Save Our Club movement could be workable as Tigers have a decent sized fan base. The burning question is save it for what. Can the other clubs in the premiership be saved? If not who would we play? It might be that fans need to support Tigers with a view to the sport exiting the professional era and returning to amateur status. That shouldn't be done overnight, there are peoples livelihoods on the line so financial support as the strategy is executed would be the right thing.
Whether professional or amateur I personally think the principle of saving the club still holds good. Who we play would, I believe, be for debate as other leagues struggle.....we could merge the Prem and Pro 14 for example. Pro 14 already talking about adding more SA teams. On the financial detail maybe a hybrid of full shareholder and crowd fund could be a way. As has been stated getting 20,000 fans to buy in for £3k is alot of fans and there are unintended consequences to that as others have said. But if we set the figure at something to get the club through the next season the numbers are more achievable; just as an example 5,000 fans getting shares for £1k brings the club £5m. You could set the figure to achieve the end required.
You have to set the figure at what is achievable by someone with kids and perhaps financial issues - which may get a shedload worse on Jan 1st :smt009, may not. My idea of perhaps £300-500 would be more affordable, although we could go to £1k out of savings - I'm a pensioner but still do part-time work, Mrs G is a vulnerable part-time worker. I think ensuring the club's survival even if we have to play in an amalgamated British League is worth it.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:25 am
You have to set the figure at what is achievable by someone with kids and perhaps financial issues - which may get a shedload worse on Jan 1st :smt009, may not. My idea of perhaps £300-500 would be more affordable, although we could go to £1k out of savings - I'm a pensioner but still do part-time work, Mrs G is a vulnerable part-time worker. I think ensuring the club's survival even if we have to play in an amalgamated British League is worth it.
Yes I agree totally. My figures were just illustrative to show lower figures can still achieve quite alot if we say survival through the next year is the real priority. I personally think we are realistically looking at a donation for shares model (if such a thing exists)because we would not be able to sell them....the club would not have the money to repay if people could sell their share. There will also be some non ST holders who mightl want to contribute of course, and some will be able to give more and some less. My position is like yours, retired but PT working. All worth looking at in my view.
As Good As It Gets
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Scuttle wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:49 am
jgriffin wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:25 am

Yes I agree totally. My figures were just illustrative to show lower figures can still achieve quite alot if we say survival through the next year is the real priority. I personally think we are realistically looking at a donation for shares model (if such a thing exists)because we would not be able to sell them....the club would not have the money to repay if people could sell their share. There will also be some non ST holders who mightl want to contribute of course, and some will be able to give more and some less. My position is like yours, retired but PT working. All worth looking at in my view.
Why would the company need to have money if people sell their shares after they buy them, a PLC would be under no obligation to buy them back. The snag for the shares thing is that for the club to benefit financially from the selling of shares they would have to be new issue (unless the company its self has a pool of shares it is holding) which would make the holding of current shareholders a smaller %age of the company which may dissuade the shareholders on the board from doing this. I for one would love to buy shares from a new issue, knowing that the money would go to the club, and I like the scalability of it (presuming that the shares are not some ridiculous value at the moment of issue) meaning that fans could invest a tenner or potentially thousands dependent upon their individual financial situations etc.

The other option would be to look for donations with the offer of a "trinket" for example your name on a wall of fame (or a wall of faith, for those who kept it as it were) for a small (minimum) donation, say a fiver or so (the sentimental side of me says maybe a tenner to have your name carved into a brick of the Crumbie, which then becomes your brick, but the Crumbie's almost certainly not going to be around much longer, sadly). You could even do tiers of trinkets, like a fiver gets your name on the stadium, £100 gets you that plus a dedication on a seat, £1000 gets that and/or your name on one of the beer engines and so on.

We could of course do both.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

This I can envisage a possible return to amateurism, if all is lost in the profesional game. Personally I would be delighted to see this happen, world wide. The professional game often leaves a nasty taste in my mouth, as it becomes ever more cut throat.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BUMP :smt003
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I have a funny feeling we will have clubs merging and there could end up being a B and I league. The thought of joining Wasps and Saints makes me sick 🤮
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:02 pm I have a funny feeling we will have clubs merging and there could end up being a B and I league. The thought of joining Wasps and Saints makes me sick 🤮
Thanks for spoiling my desk-bound lunch :smt005 Agree 100% for once :smt009 :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean if that was too happen I would just stop caring about club rugby.
Ironically I would feel better about a pure merge with Saints than having anything to do with Wasps.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Surely there needs to be a League wide approach.

It's no good Tigers doing one thing and surviving in tact if half a dozen other clubs go to the wall or are severely weakened.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:12 pm I mean if that was too happen I would just stop caring about club rugby.
Ironically I would feel better about a pure merge with Saints than having anything to do with Wasps.
I think any great merging of existing Premiership clubs would be the end of club rugby as a professional pursuit in the minds of many. I know I'd be much harder pushed to drag myself away from Bishopton vs Glasgow Medical to watch England Region Midlands vs England Region South West even if they called the merged clubs Leicester and Bath.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere