Fans supporting the club.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Fans supporting the club.

Post by jgriffin »

OK, I've bought two season tickets that can't be used, at least for a portion of the season. I'm willing to gift £200 and the unused bit of the ST to the club, say £400 total. 10,000 of us do that might well save the club. Peter Tom, you listening? Anyone else IN?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
johns12

Re: Fans supporting the club.

Post by johns12 »

That is a good idea. I would also consider a gift of a similar amount. So count me IN
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

We are talking about getting through 6 months (maybe some more) but when you break it down like that, with other elements that could be introduced, it is doable. It would take some organising but I would support it.
As Good As It Gets
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:32 pm OK, I've bought two season tickets that can't be used, at least for a portion of the season. I'm willing to gift £200 and the unused bit of the ST to the club, say £400 total. 10,000 of us do that might well save the club. Peter Tom, you listening? Anyone else IN?
Yup, I'd pitch in. I wonder if the club would be prepared to convert donations to shares?
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

On a post back in July I suggested:-

"Change structure from a PLC with a small number of shareholders to a fan owned rugby club. Get 20000 fans to pay £3000 each. This would guarantee a seat for next 10 years insted of a season ticket. Would raise £60mio for the club. Fans (shareholders) would have voting rights, input into the running of the club and a lever to change the executive as required.
With this fans would feel engaged members of a rugby club".

Clearly £3000 is probably an unrealistic amount, however something like this???
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Gary, Bondi, you following the thread? #Tigerbeat
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

I guess all of this is irrelevant if the club hasn't got a competition to play in and opposition teams. So is it more about the collective survival of rugby rather than an individual club??
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The two are interlinked, but regardless of what transpires, Chiefs, Sarries, Bath etc will survive. We are less certain. Rise up like Tigers!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

The club are already getting my money for our STs - the direct debits have continued to be taken so I'm glad the club are getting a small amount of revenue.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Rutlandtiger wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:27 am On a post back in July I suggested:-

"Change structure from a PLC with a small number of shareholders to a fan owned rugby club. Get 20000 fans to pay £3000 each. This would guarantee a seat for next 10 years insted of a season ticket. Would raise £60mio for the club. Fans (shareholders) would have voting rights, input into the running of the club and a lever to change the executive as required.

And at the time I pointed out:
you wouldn't get anywhere near 20,000 people doing that, you'd be lucky to get 10,000 with the current product on offer
it would cannibalise income for the 9 years after leaving you with a different financial hole
£3k is less than 10 individual season tickets in a lot of areas of the ground so you're giving a discount before you even account for inflation
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Coops wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:44 am The club are already getting my money for our STs - the direct debits have continued to be taken so I'm glad the club are getting a small amount of revenue.
Yes, I was proposing an add-on that would be affordable for a larger proportion of fans than RT's £3k, basically crowdfunding the club's survival.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=Rutlandtiger post_id=752957 time=1601015232 user_id=27162]
On a post back in July I suggested:-

[/quote]

Rutlandtiger, this is (sort of) how the plc was formed, and there are already many fan shareholders with voting rights. Season-ticket holders were given the opportunity of investing (a relatively small amount) in exchange for a shareholding. However, since then, the fans shareholding has effectively been diluted by one or two of the Board members investing in the club in exchange for shares. (I can not recall the % ownership atm, but I think effective ownership resides in Jersey/Guernsey).

I am not sure, but I think the 10 year debenture idea has also been offered before.

Another way that some clubs have used to raise funds is by offering bonds( e.g. a 5 year term paying say a 5% return). Wasps and Quins went down that route, and whilst they successfully raised funds, the % return required to be attractive, even back in 'normal times', was quite generous. I think that Wasps in particular are now really struggling with the payment.
Given the current level of uncertainty I can not see this being a viable option even if absolutely stupid levels of return were offered.

If no help is coming from the Government, or the sport's governing bodies, then maybe, the Club's investors will be asked to dig deep, or as you suggest, the fans might be asked. Maybe both? I am sure that the Board is reviewing it's options, probably on a week by week basis.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:13 am Gary, Bondi, you following the thread? #Tigerbeat
Bondi is aware of this thread
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:39 am The two are interlinked, but regardless of what transpires, Chiefs, Sarries, Bath etc will survive. We are less certain. Rise up like Tigers!
OK here's a question.
Will chiefs survive if this was long term
They are making a profit but isn't that all though the business side?
Match tickets
Hospitality. etc
Like every other club without a Lansdown, Craig and Wray?
Tony Rowe has never struck me as a waste money type of guy.
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

Maybe an agenda item for next digital forum??