Clubs on the brink

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BigDan50
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:56 pm

Clubs on the brink

Post by BigDan50 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:25 pm

With no crowds how long do you think that that premiership rugby can survive.
Rumour has it that 3 clubs are in difficulty, Wasps, Worcester and Newcastle, what other clubs are struggling and are Leicester Tigers one of them?

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1460
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Haute-Garonne

Re: Clubs on the brink

Post by Robespierre » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:48 pm

BigDan50 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:25 pm
With no crowds how long do you think that that premiership rugby can survive.
Rumour has it that 3 clubs are in difficulty, Wasps, Worcester and Newcastle, what other clubs are struggling and are Leicester Tigers one of them?
If this situation goes on for another six months then all Premiership clubs will probably go under.
Semper in excreta

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1180
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:31 pm
Location: With the PFJ

Re: Clubs on the brink

Post by loretta » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:53 pm

Not just Premiership, the next level down is in dire straits. We joke about Sarries being in the clart if the championship collapses, but there could be bigger issues sooner than is commonly recognised.
I find your lack of faith......disturbing.

Rutlandtiger
Tiger Cub
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:36 pm

Re: Clubs on the brink

Post by Rutlandtiger » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:13 pm

Put this on other thread but my comments probably fit here!!
"Without cash support, from the fans, the government or the RFU then without doubt unfortunately some clubs will not survive in their current professional formats. I have probably been a bit pessimistic in the past but I cannot see full crowds at the earliest until 21/22 season. Not the coming new season but the one after that!!
We may have to revert to an amateur or semi pro structure for a while within the game.
Hope I'm wrong."

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7270
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Clubs on the brink

Post by jgriffin » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:23 am

The problem we have is that the current rubbish situation (totally unnecessary with proper Test n Trace run by area Public Health) is clearing the decks for the looming Brexit show. In all of that, sport other than the megabucks Premier football will wither at a pro level, and I am truly worried that pro Rugby will totally collapse. It is almost certain that the Prem will have to ringfence and let the pro Championship die, and that the Cheetoes will get a free pass into the Prem, unless someone keeps agitating, funding and fighting.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

Noggs
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1791
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:41 am
Location: Leicestershire

Re: Clubs on the brink

Post by Noggs » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:42 am

jgriffin wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:23 am
The problem we have is that the current rubbish situation (totally unnecessary with proper Test n Trace run by area Public Health) is clearing the decks for the looming Brexit show. In all of that, sport other than the megabucks Premier football will wither at a pro level, and I am truly worried that pro Rugby will totally collapse. It is almost certain that the Prem will have to ringfence and let the pro Championship die, and that the Cheetoes will get a free pass into the Prem, unless someone keeps agitating, funding and fighting.
If this government (and it's a big if) get on top of test and trace there is a chance of limited crowds sometime in the upcoming season which may save the bacon but the situation at the moment is dire for all :smt009
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 6273
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Burbage

Re: Clubs on the brink

Post by JP14 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:50 am

The Godforsaken app is finally here. Whether that will do anything I don't know.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Noggs
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1791
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:41 am
Location: Leicestershire

Re: Clubs on the brink

Post by Noggs » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:08 am

JP14 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:50 am
The Godforsaken app is finally here. Whether that will do anything I don't know.
It is reliant on people doing the 'right thing' and frankly I think the government have lost so much good will as a result of such things as the Cummings eye test that it will take a lot to persuade people to even download the app in the numbers required to make it effective always assuming that those who do then use it correctly.

Managed correctly our game, along with society at large, would not be in such dire straights.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1207
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: Clubs on the brink

Post by Cardiff Tig » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:13 am

Rugby needs a complete overhaul though, professional rugby is not sustainable in its current form. Maybe this is the chance to change the system for the better. Both the premiership and the championship below have completely unsustainae models.

I don't have any solutions though...

johnthegriff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Clubs on the brink

Post by johnthegriff » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:35 am

Not sure how an app that depends on everybody having a smartphone, not just a smartphone but the right smartphone and is then willing to download an the app. I don't think that we will return to anything like normal until a vaccine is proven and available. Crowds of 30% or less than a club is used to will probably cost a club more than an empty stadium, as has been said previously all clubs are in danger, even Saracens, not only does our club have to survive we have to have other teams to play against. My fear is that the powers that be will take the opportunity of changing top competition to an Irish style provincial one, i.e. something like South East, South West, East Midlands, North Midlands, North East, North West, with traditional teams such as Tigers, Saints, Bath etc becoming semi-pro, a source of players but reverting to something similar to the Welsh Principality league and excluded from European competition.

kk20gb30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1208
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Over The Hills & Far Away

Re: Clubs on the brink

Post by kk20gb30 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:39 am

This situation goes well beyond Rugby and simple party politics.I don't believe that any government of any political persuasion could have coped , or indeed, looking around the globe can truly say that they have engineered a means to cope effectively with what Covid has wrought ; the depth of modern industrialised society has simply created too many masters to serve with only the guarantee of dissatisfaction with whatever path is chosen by those 'fortunate ' enough to be in charge at this time.

BengalTiger
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:16 am

Re: Clubs on the brink

Post by BengalTiger » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:25 am

What is the purpose of professional club rugby in England?
If anyone knows please let the rest of us in on it because from where I am watching it is being driven up a very dark alley to no ones benefit but the ego's of rich men!
Clubs like Sale rent half the SA team to play in front of no one ( in normal times) and are lauded for it, we were in a mess without Covid, now it is time for a complete reset on what the game at club level is all about.

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Clubs on the brink

Post by chewbacca » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:09 pm

Noggs wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:08 am
JP14 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:50 am
The Godforsaken app is finally here. Whether that will do anything I don't know.
It is reliant on people doing the 'right thing' and frankly I think the government have lost so much good will as a result of such things as the Cummings eye test that it will take a lot to persuade people to even download the app in the numbers required to make it effective always assuming that those who do then use it correctly.

Managed correctly our game, along with society at large, would not be in such dire straights.
+1 We can only contain covid by individual discipline. I had zero confidence in the ability of the govt to present a coherent, understandable and effective argument for this since day one when it chased an unproven policy, for this virus, of herd immunity.
Compare the spokespersons we have seen and heard in England with the straightforward and unambiguous message presented by the Clinical Director of Scotland. If you want people to follow then you need a credible and inspiring leader.
I'm not cynical just experienced

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7134
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Clubs on the brink

Post by tigerburnie » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:12 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54271007
Should the relevant governments be unwilling/unable to facilitate financial support and cash from the RFU dries up, what next? Some clubs may be able to continue as is, but I suspect several may not, what would be left could be like the Scottish football leagues where 2 clubs dominate, another couple come close and the rest are pretty much semi pro, I really would not like to see that.
Even with a full Welford Road, the wage bill we had was unsustainable, change really has to happen, no idea where the leadership for that to happen will come from.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7270
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Clubs on the brink

Post by jgriffin » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:12 pm

chewbacca wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:09 pm
Noggs wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:08 am
JP14 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:50 am
The Godforsaken app is finally here. Whether that will do anything I don't know.
It is reliant on people doing the 'right thing' and frankly I think the government have lost so much good will as a result of such things as the Cummings eye test that it will take a lot to persuade people to even download the app in the numbers required to make it effective always assuming that those who do then use it correctly.

Managed correctly our game, along with society at large, would not be in such dire straights.
+1 We can only contain covid by individual discipline. I had zero confidence in the ability of the govt to present a coherent, understandable and effective argument for this since day one when it chased an unproven policy, for this virus, of herd immunity.
Compare the spokespersons we have seen and heard in England with the straightforward and unambiguous message presented by the Clinical Director of Scotland. If you want people to follow then you need a credible and inspiring leader.
When you have test and trace largely run by two private corporations with a track record of failure, presided over by a Board of 15 with only one with health experience, led by a proven disaster CEO, what outcome do you expect? Independent SAGE and other epidemiological experts have pointed out that open air is very safe with distancing, so a crowd of 7-10k could be accommodated at WR; decent apps plus good T&T as well as no attendance for vulnerable fans....as good as it will ever get. Alas we have neither good leadership, a rational population (in part) nor indeed a scientifically literate one. the advantage of being an island was squandered when holiday flights weren't tested and quarantined back in Feb.
My very real concern is that pro rugby is doomed (along with many other sports).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], RunTigerRun, TigerFeetSteve and 2 guests