Delay start of 20-21 season (again)?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RichG
Tiger Cub

Delay start of 20-21 season (again)?

Post by RichG »

Given the new restrictions announced today, should the 20-21 season be further delayed until clubs have certainty of crowds being present? I know there’s a Lions tour in 21 but there must be a great risk that clubs won’t survive. I would think clubs were expecting crowds at all games next season following the test events at Harlequins and Gloucester. I can see there being no crowds allowed into next year and limited crowds possibly throughout the whole of the current planned 20-21 season. Or is delaying it further actually counter productive because players and staff have to be paid whilst waiting to start the season? I truly hope after 42 years as a season ticket holder that I get to see some full houses at Welford Road within the next year.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Delay start of 20-21 season (again)?

Post by kpj tiger »

RichG wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:25 pm Given the new restrictions announced today, should the 20-21 season be further delayed until clubs have certainty of crowds being present? I know there’s a Lions tour in 21 but there must be a great risk that clubs won’t survive. I would think clubs were expecting crowds at all games next season following the test events at Harlequins and Gloucester. I can see there being no crowds allowed into next year and limited crowds possibly throughout the whole of the current planned 20-21 season. Or is delaying it further actually counter productive because players and staff have to be paid whilst waiting to start the season? I truly hope after 42 years as a season ticket holder that I get to see some full houses at Welford Road within the next year.
I would imagine no rugby at all is even more harmful as they won't be getting any TV or sponsorship money
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

It can't be beyond reason for the TV companies to divert monies into the sports they broadcast (in addition to whatever they currently pay)? They make many millions out of sport, they rely on those sports surviving for their own good.... :smt017
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

BT made the final payment of their broadcasting deal for this season in full and early to support the clubs during lockdown to be fair to them.

Given that there was no guarantee of more games to broadcast at that point it was a pretty significant vote of confidence from them.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Believe the proposed November start date will carry through - the return of fans to stadia however is a different story.Believe we could well be looking at the New Year.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

kk20gb30 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:25 am Believe the proposed November start date will carry through - the return of fans to stadia however is a different story.Believe we could well be looking at the New Year.
Bizarrely, socially distanced pods of fans would be at almost NO risk of catching SARS CoV2 as at least 97% of infections if not more are caught indoors (schools, superstores etc) regardless of precautions. Outdoors is massively safe under most circumstances as long as fans enter in the open air correctly and are temp checked. That's not me posing as an expert, that's the Independent SAGE epidemiologists. That's why the 'don't go outside' brigade were totally wrong in the previous 'lockdown'. Just don't lick the pavement on your way in :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

ABClub wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:56 pm BT made the final payment of their broadcasting deal for this season in full and early to support the clubs during lockdown to be fair to them.

Given that there was no guarantee of more games to broadcast at that point it was a pretty significant vote of confidence from them.
I know, my suggestion was to go over and above, in these exceptional circumstances.
jgriffin wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:43 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:25 am Believe the proposed November start date will carry through - the return of fans to stadia however is a different story.Believe we could well be looking at the New Year.
Bizarrely, socially distanced pods of fans would be at almost NO risk of catching SARS CoV2 as at least 97% of infections if not more are caught indoors (schools, superstores etc) regardless of precautions. Outdoors is massively safe under most circumstances as long as fans enter in the open air correctly and are temp checked. That's not me posing as an expert, that's the Independent SAGE epidemiologists. That's why the 'don't go outside' brigade were totally wrong in the previous 'lockdown'. Just don't lick the pavement on your way in :smt005
Precisely! :smt023
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Are you suggesting the powers that be don't know what they're doing? Outrageous.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

jgriffin, you're wasting your time if you think logic, facts or science come into this. It's all about media and public perception.

This weeks changes are harmful and pointless.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:07 pm jgriffin, you're wasting your time if you think logic, facts or science come into this. It's all about media and public perception.

This weeks changes are harmful and pointless.
Absolutely correct. We were knackered before March when everyone came back from the continent off ski trips (and gave me the virus) and went to race meets etc. Everything since then has been inadequate, and yesterdays rubbish an exemplary example. There is no herd immunity, so you either adopt a zero infection operation (not difficult if you're an island) or admit the virus is a permanent feature.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Given the size and density of the population, I would just go with the latter.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

The virus will never go away so from here on in it is a case of management. At some point we will have a jab which works and further improved treatments but for now we need a government which knows what it's doing .
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Unfortunately there is no shortage of pavement lickers.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Gloucester and Exeter owners have said with no crowds back before Christmas then some Premiership teams will “ be bust by Christmas!”
Originally Tigers said they could get through until January.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I think there is a real worry about professional sport beyond the absolute top level worldwide, I think Professional Rugby of both codes in these isles is in real danger.
To win is not as important as playing with style!