Post by ourla »

Will our rest week be good for us?

Or will Toulon be nicely honed?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Toulon v Tigers - Challenge Cup Semi

Post by Robespierre »

ourla wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:34 am Will our rest week be good for us?

Or will Toulon be nicely honed?
Yes and yes! Former Tigers’ scrum half Julian Dupuy is their backs’ coach, so he’ll ensure that his players are fit and ready. I don’t believe Etzebeth he’s played recently, and don’t know if he’s injured or available for selection. Whatever, I can’t honestly see Tigers winning.
Semper in excretia
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:12 am Whatever, I can’t honestly see Tigers winning.
I think that is a bit strong. For sure, are coaches and players are still learning about each other so to expect much at this stage is optimistic. On the flip side I am not sure Toulon are all that plus it's sport - witness the Tour De France. Toulon are decent favs but I'd say we have more chance than say Saints did at Chiefs this last weekend.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

ourla wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:27 am
Robespierre wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:12 am Whatever, I can’t honestly see Tigers winning.
I think that is a bit strong. For sure, are coaches and players are still learning about each other so to expect much at this stage is optimistic. On the flip side I am not sure Toulon are all that plus it's sport - witness the Tour De France. Toulon are decent favs but I'd say we have more chance than say Saints did at Chiefs this last weekend.
Maybe. Scarlets certainly gave them a run for their money and I'll certainly be watching on Saturday evening (and all afternoon too, with Racing v Saracens at 2h and Exeter v Toulouse at 4h30!)
Semper in excretia
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:12 am
. Whatever, I can’t honestly see Tigers winning.
It's a bit early to be writing us off :smt009

With home advantage the French have to be in the pound seats but it ain't over until......... :smt027
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

With COVID cases on the increase and the sight of fans not observing social distancing or wearing masks there is a risk that the game may not go ahead..........similar circumstances to the Castres game. I hope not but it is a genuine possibility.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Noggs wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:52 am

With home advantage the French have to be in the pound seats but it ain't over until......... :smt027
Could be worth betting a fiver at the bookies if the odds are attractive!!
Semper in excretia
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:58 am With COVID cases on the increase and the sight of fans not observing social distancing or wearing masks there is a risk that the game may not go ahead..........similar circumstances to the Castres game. I hope not but it is a genuine possibility.
I'm worried about this to be honest. With positive tests already way up, whilst testing being fairly low, it suggests we are well on our way to a second wave.

If the game does go ahead I think Tigers should have a shot.

Eben Etzebeth and Anthony Belleau are two big losses for Toulon with injury. Louis Carbonel is talented but inexperienced at 10, hence Baptiste Serin being selected out of position against Scarlets.

I believe Christopher Tolofua is also injured. Anthony Etrillard is a good player at hooker but can be targeted in the scrum. Jean Baptiste-Gros at loosehead is a very talented young prop but again I'd hope Coley can target him at scrum time. Given we will likely have international props starting and on the bench we should be able to target them.

Their back row is quality and will offer a big challenge. Lakafia, Ollivon and Isa are all excellent players. Parisse is past his best but was still doing Sergio Parisse things against Scarlets by scoring the only try of the game. It will be a good benchmark to see where our much improved back row are.

The backs without Belleau are a very French affair of if they get good ball they could do damage. Serin is a magician at times as a playmaker, Takalua is a very good 9, Carbonel is a danger whether starting or on the bench. Masivesi Dakuwaqa is another Fiji Sevens Olympic gold medalist moved into XVs.

To be honest it would be disappointing if the Youngs/Ford axis lost the tactical kicking battle against either an out of position Serin at fly-half or young Carbonel.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:58 am With COVID cases on the increase and the sight of fans not observing social distancing or wearing masks there is a risk that the game may not go ahead..........similar circumstances to the Castres game. I hope not but it is a genuine possibility.
South of France makes pretty grim viewing at the moment

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Certainly not the Toulon of old, very beatable judging by Saturdays game.

Ive got to echo what many have said on here, doesn't look great with the increase in cases for these games to go ahead. Was pretty shocked to see the numbers in the crowd on Saturday night and little to no social distancing, same story in the Toulouse game.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:04 pm
Noggs wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:52 am

Could be worth betting a fiver at the bookies if the odds are attractive!!
Tigers are 7/2 for the Toulon game and 10/1 for winning the cup. The latter may be worth a tenner for what is essentially a three horse race. :smt023
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

This is the fear I have with the rise in cases locally, it is not only the players & coaches but all the Tigers support staff must be covid free too. But I worry that we are assigned an inferior Referee so it could be a novice Scot, an incoherent Irish one or dear old Nigel whose record with us is not good. Given that I am confident that with no changes to the selected team we will win..
Be positive. :smt027 :smt023
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Like previous posts above I’d be very surprised to see this match happen given the current situation.

If it does go ahead I think we are in a great position to break the bad run of form against Toulon. Extra week of rest and training won’t hurt, Toulon with a few key players missing and will have to rejig, we will be almost at full strength so I’m going for a Tigers win by 5.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Sporting fixtures are never lost before they are played.................
Should the match happen it will be both a massive physical ,and indeed, mental test ; but nothing worthwhile ever comes easy.
The result does matter and has bearing but the one thing we must do is give it our best shot.Anything can happen , so we have to do our best to make it happen.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I suspect it will go ahead but perhaps without the crowd.