Toulon v Tigers - Challenge Cup Semi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Toulon v Tigers - Challenge Cup Semi

Post by BFG »

I thought the game was two teams struggling to find consistency on what was a terrible surface.
Leicester had some great attacking positions but the line was very predictable most often with only one passing option.
You would hope that some variety (of depth and angles) might come in time but it's not rocket science, pro players should know this stuff in front of them heads up, but clearly not.
Leicester weren't that far off Toulon but the coaches do have a lot of work to do.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I get it, the officiating was awful, but we can’t just blame that on our loss. Some big moments where some of our key players went AWOL, Ford missing kick for touch the prime example.

Also I can only pray that playing locks at 6 is now finally over. Next season we’ll have Taufua, Brink and Lewis battling it out over the blindside spot. Playing a lock there just kills our mobility, especially in defence and it just isn’t needed when you’ve got the likes of Liebenberg at 8 who’s a first rate jumper. Liebenberg by the way I thought was one of our best players on the pitch.

Also no excuses for a basic lack of structure in the backs. Why we didn’t keep Nadolo, Steward and Muri in the back 3 I’ve no idea.

People bashing Scot1 but he’s right, regardless of the ref, our performance which we have control over just wasn’t acceptable. Especially as this was the semi final and what we’d apparently been building towards.

We still have plenty of first class players to join for next season. Hopefully we can learn some stark lessons from these games and get better.

Sorry Scott too played very well. Hoping the Huw Jones rumours have some merit as we’re missing some depth in the backs. Murimurivalu also has some raw talent and looking forwards to seeing more of him.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:10 pm Another thing I kept saying over and over and over again. Big mistake going A team then Z team then A etc. Needed to constantly mix it up
You may keep saying it but that doesn't change the player welfare requirements about how many minutes they can play and how many starts they're allowed.

There's a good reason that every club except Northampton did it - and Northampton are the only team without a post-covid victory. Read into that what you will...
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:30 am There's a good reason that every club except Northampton did it - and Northampton are the only team without a post-covid victory. Read into that what you will...
Saints beat L Irish, same as we did and it was mentioned going into the 'derby' that we'd both beaten the same team for our only post-restart victories (to that date).
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

We just seem to be lacking cohesion, particularly the backs. A few times in games there has been a half break and a pass has gone to the wrong place. This will come with time.

I thought there were some good performances to give us hope. Genge, Reffell, Lavanini, Scott and White all did well.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Those with patience and are prepared for the long game will be rewarded, of that I am sure. Baby steps from years of poor decisions - Rome was not built in a day and all that.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

daktari wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:26 pm
Cardiff Tig wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:16 pm I actually don't think the officiating made a bit of difference. I agree it was poor though.

The first try was one of those things that gets missed plenty of times in every match,
I think that’s the problem - the TMO should have checked, the question has to be asked, why didn’t he? It’s what they are there for - everyone else with a screen saw it, what was he doing?
I don't think I've ever seen any TMO or ref in any match check on a breakdown penalty though. Forward passes and knock ons, yes, general breakdown play no. Is that even in the rules?

There were times when we were lucky at the breakdown as well. It wasn't like Parisse even scored himself, rugby is too complicated a game to blame a try on a breakdown offence that wasn't obvious (I doubt many on here honestly called it in real time).

We were poor. Our defence was pretty shocking and our attacking play was poor throughout.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:20 pm There’s some positives in there for sure, but the alarming inconsistency at 9 and 10, from two of our most experienced operators is a worry. I mean, an off day yes, but (I think) at 14-21....we kick to the corner....and the ball goes dead. Take the 3 please !! The amount of kicks that went dead. The exits that gave possession right back to Toulon.

Anyone who can’t see an improvement may as well give up. New squad, coaches & playbook. Best performance from Genge for a while, Cole snarling....Lavanini’s hit after hit, Scott, Nadolo, Potter...our attack is a lot better. Between now and next season we have to work so so hard, and come out firing.
One thing we have to work on is so basic it's embarrassing to have to mention it. We need to learn how to tackle! Pathetic attempts which would have got a schoolboy a rollicking. That is unforgivable and must stop immediately.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

BFG wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:46 pm I thought the game was two teams struggling to find consistency on what was a terrible surface.
Leicester had some great attacking positions but the line was very predictable most often with only one passing option.
You would hope that some variety (of depth and angles) might come in time but it's not rocket science, pro players should know this stuff in front of them heads up, but clearly not.
Leicester weren't that far off Toulon but the coaches do have a lot of work to do.
I thought first half we just got our execution wrong, Ford and YBY ‘s kicking in particular was just what coaches would call inaccurate but I’d call awful and we coughed up territory, possession and attacking positions.

That coupled with poor handling meant we never got any real momentum til Nadolos try.

Second half and as it went on (notwithstanding Fords error in kicking to the corner) I actually thought we put some decent phase play together and put Toulon under pressure.

On another day a few key decisions would have gone our way and last 10mins, we’d have been within a score and they’d have been under pressure which would have been a different game.

They didn’t go our way, we weren’t within a score and they weren’t under score board pressure so it’s a case of we weren’t good enough, particularly 1st half
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:25 am
Cardiff Tig wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:16 pm I actually don't think the officiating made a bit of difference. I agree it was poor though.

The first try was one of those things that gets missed plenty of times in every match,
I think that’s the problem - the TMO should have checked, the question has to be asked, why didn’t he? It’s what they are there for - everyone else with a screen saw it, what was he doing?
I don't think I've ever seen any TMO or ref in any match check on a breakdown penalty though. Forward passes and knock ons, yes, general breakdown play no. Is that even in the rules?
That is true.

It doesn’t excuse the fact there was no need to check either Tigers’ 1st or 2nd try. AR saw the grounding for Nadolo, ref for Potter. It was thought the TMO was desperate not to give them.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:57 am
BFG wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:46 pm I thought the game was two teams struggling to find consistency on what was a terrible surface.
I thought first half we just got our execution wrong, Ford and YBY ‘s kicking in particular was just what coaches would call inaccurate but I’d call awful and we coughed up territory, possession and attacking positions.

That coupled with poor handling meant we never got any real momentum til Nadolos try.

Second half and as it went on (notwithstanding Fords error in kicking to the corner) I actually thought we put some decent phase play together and put Toulon under pressure.

On another day a few key decisions would have gone our way and last 10mins, we’d have been within a score and they’d have been under pressure which would have been a different game.

They didn’t go our way, we weren’t within a score and they weren’t under score board pressure so it’s a case of we weren’t good enough, particularly 1st half
I can't put a finger on one thing.
It's just a team struggling to find it's way and has been for ages given mass upheaval.
They had chances but the indecision was there, that's a side low on consistency and confidence.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

WiggoTiger wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:32 pm He wanted toulon in the final. French producers go to the crowd before bothering to show passages of play. In UK BT show contentious decisions over and over for the TMO.
BT Sport pick and choose their moments for entertainment value, not much better than their French counterparts.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:25 am

There were times when we were lucky at the breakdown as well. It wasn't like Parisse even scored himself, rugby is too complicated a game to blame a try on a breakdown offence that wasn't obvious (I doubt many on here honestly called it in real time).

We were poor. Our defence was pretty shocking and our attacking play was poor throughout.
I did think at the time that the TMO wouldn’t pick it up on a breakdown infringement, it was in at the side nonetheless.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

That Lavanini hit though on Lakafia... or was it Ollivon? :smt016
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

One bright spot was the lineout stats. Tom Youngs HAS improved, I'm delighted to say
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina