Toulon v Tigers - Challenge Cup Semi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Toulon v Tigers - Challenge Cup Semi

Post by sam16111986 »

Scuttle wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:21 pm Maybe the pick also has an eye to Bristol on Wednesday. Not saying winning last 2 Prem games is a massive priority but maybe ensuring we don't lose heavily is.
Good point. Bristol are playing a full strength side this weekend so will be putting out a seconds team mid week. Would be good to try and get another win on the board and climb off of 11th place just to shut up the continual reports of "Tigers are 11th but would be bottom of it weren't for Saracens..." in every newspaper or online article I see about us.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:07 pm
Scuttle wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:21 pm Maybe the pick also has an eye to Bristol on Wednesday. Not saying winning last 2 Prem games is a massive priority but maybe ensuring we don't lose heavily is.
Good point. Bristol are playing a full strength side this weekend so will be putting out a seconds team mid week. Would be good to try and get another win on the board and climb off of 11th place just to shut up the continual reports of "Tigers are 11th but would be bottom of it weren't for Saracens..." in every newspaper or online article I see about us.
Might be missing something but I don't follow the logic here. To me we have fielded our strongest possible team too with perhaps the exception of Porter who is maybe an injury doubt and Steward; although for me Henry is a better option on the bench as he can also cover 10 so we need midfield cover not another back 3 player, hence Kelly's inclusion over Steward. Taufua is out for the remainder of this season, Mamu and Brink won't be ready either so I can't see how our matchday 23 could be any stronger. We are in exactly the same boat as Bristol as far as I can see.. :smt017

Would love to pick up a few wins against Bristol and Quins but think we are likely to field a weaker team away to Bristol unless these lads get a very short turnaround which I just can't see.. especially if we beat Toulon and have a final to prepare for!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Strong team, personally i thought we would go for Steward at 15 with Murimurivalu on the wing but i am sure there are good reasons for the pick that are no reflection on Stewards ability maybe fitness, maybe with an eye on the midweek game but possibly also looking at experience in a key position for this match.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Statement of intent.
Play the game in front of you. The Prem season is over for us. Europe is a target for silverware.
On paper you'd go with a W for Toulon. However with the side picked for Tigers and the intensity we have found recently???????
Lets face it, Scarlets lost the game rather than Toulon winning it. Hopefully a lesson learned.
I hope the game goes ahead. I can't face the pundits crowing we only progressed on a technicality. AGAIN.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Will we be fresher or will Toulon be more battle hardened? And what have I missed with Taufua.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

Seriously worried now about Olowefella, Hardwick and Sam Lewis. What the heck have they done to not get selected? Where's Jake Kerr? Are we only going to use the new incoming recruits and just leave the players who got Tigers to this semi-final on the training field. Think after next season a few of these names won't be Tigers anymore. Sad waste of talent. :smt018

Hopefully we'll get the win tomorrow, it's a great team but please let these 20-22 years old show Borthwick what they can do so you can have two decent teams for next season.
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

Snoopydog68 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:34 pm Seriously worried now about Olowefella, Hardwick and Sam Lewis. What the heck have they done to not get selected? Where's Jake Kerr? Are we only going to use the new incoming recruits and just leave the players who got Tigers to this semi-final on the training field. Think after next season a few of these names won't be Tigers anymore. Sad waste of talent. :smt018

Hopefully we'll get the win tomorrow, it's a great team but please let these 20-22 years old show Borthwick what they can do so you can have two decent teams for next season.
Also where the heck is Joe Heyes? Is he injured?
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Snoopydog68 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:34 pm Seriously worried now about Olowefella, Hardwick and Sam Lewis. What the heck have they done to not get selected? Where's Jake Kerr? Are we only going to use the new incoming recruits and just leave the players who got Tigers to this semi-final on the training field. Think after next season a few of these names won't be Tigers anymore. Sad waste of talent. :smt018

Olowofela - not cutting it after 39+ games, ineffective in attack and a liability in defence
Hardwick - now a 12 and hopefully some chances for him in the right games
Lewis - his opportunities will come!
Kerr - there are 3 better hookers than him, why play 4th choice in such an important game?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Snoopydog68 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:34 pm Seriously worried now about Olowefella, Hardwick and Sam Lewis. What the heck have they done to not get selected? Where's Jake Kerr?
Who would you swap out for them?
Snoopydog68 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:34 pmAre we only going to use the new incoming recruits and just leave the players who got Tigers to this semi-final on the training field. Think after next season a few of these names won't be Tigers anymore. Sad waste of talent. :smt018
Bit OTT. Maybe give it a bit of time first.
Snoopydog68 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:34 pmHopefully we'll get the win tomorrow, it's a great team but please let these 20-22 years old show Borthwick what they can do so you can have two decent teams for next season.
As I recall they didn't too well at Wasps. And no doubt they'll get more chances in the Prem. But we got a lucky break last week you'd want to try and it would do wonders for the club (youngsters included) to get to a final.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yeh I think someone might be reading too much into things.
End of the day Joe Heyes has only just turned 21 which is still extremely young for a TH prop.
Sam Lewis I think I read had a illness and missed the bulk of pre season.
Kerr, Olowofela and Hardwick both have had chances and whilst I don't think the club have nor should they write them off they also didn't impress too much.
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

ourla wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:02 pm
Snoopydog68 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:34 pm Seriously worried now about Olowefella, Hardwick and Sam Lewis. What the heck have they done to not get selected? Where's Jake Kerr?
Who would you swap out for them?

My point is Olowefella and Hardwick were regularly on the team sheet pre-covid and even in the early matches of the re-start played. Agree with some of the comments re Olowefella, but still needs to learn and develop. Lewis needs game time and developing further and can't do that if he doesn't get to play.
Snoopydog68 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:34 pmAre we only going to use the new incoming recruits and just leave the players who got Tigers to this semi-final on the training field. Think after next season a few of these names won't be Tigers anymore. Sad waste of talent. :smt018
Bit OTT. Maybe give it a bit of time first. Not OTT - they will move on.
Snoopydog68 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:34 pmHopefully we'll get the win tomorrow, it's a great team but please let these 20-22 years old show Borthwick what they can do so you can have two decent teams for next season.
As I recall they didn't too well at Wasps. And no doubt they'll get more chances in the Prem. But we got a lucky break last week you'd want to try and it would do wonders for the club (youngsters included) to get to a final.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm sure all those players have had plenty of game time since the restart, other than Lewis, which sounds like it may be explained by illness.

A couple, for me, have missed their chance. The others can't expect to play every single match when there are better players ahead of them.

If someone who hasn't proved that he's good enough to be first choice leaves because he isn't first choice, I won't be losing any sleep over it.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean Hardwick only really got that much game time start of this season due to Ford not being here.
Olowofela has played in 3 of the 7 games this season so far.
Compared to the other wingers used
Potter played in 4
Williams played in 3
Nadolo played in 3
Simmons played in 2
Murimurivalu played in 1
Forsyth played in 1
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:15 pm Will we be fresher or will Toulon be more battle hardened? And what have I missed with Taufua.
Had knee surgery recently so out for the rest of the season sadly
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Would argue that Potter, Nadolo, Murimurivalu, Williams and Simmons have all played better than Olowafela on the wing.

Henry looking a much better option at 10 than Hardwick.

Sam Lewis I agree is a mystery.

Jake Kerr hasn’t performed as well as Youngs or Clare so the 2 form players are getting the nod and rightly so imho. With Mamu to come in it doesn’t look good for Kerr. Sad because I really rated him on previous season’s performances.