Toulon v Tigers - Challenge Cup Semi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: Toulon v Tigers - Challenge Cup Semi

Post by Noggs »

Pleased to see Kini at 15. He should get more chance to get involved and he is a proven dangerous runner from 15 with ball in hand.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Interested to see Steward not in the 23, I would imagine he must be injured? Anybody have any insight on that? I’ve been really enjoying his run in the 1st team.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Duncan B wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:03 pm Interested to see Steward not in the 23, I would imagine he must be injured? Anybody have any insight on that? I’ve been really enjoying his run in the 1st team.
It wasn't listed in Smurfs injury update but he may have got a knock in training this week. He's a very good player and will be back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The fact Kelly is in at 23 suggests he has a knock.
Tigers don’t usually announce injuries when match day squads are named.

Glad Kelly is picked though for that 23 shirt.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

The Toulon team:
1 Gros 2 Etrillard 3 Gigashvili 4 Rebbaj 5 Taofifenua R 6 Ollivon 8 Parisse 7 Lakafia 9 Takalua 10 Carbonel 11Villière 12 Paia'Aua 13 Heem 14 Dakuwaqa 15 Ikpefan

16 Soury 17 Another Taofifenua 18 Setiano 19 Dridi 20 Alainu'Uese 21 Ory 22 Meric 23 Isa

Several "not very French" names, eh, and a few players I've not heard of.
However, I'd imagine that they're worth their places in the team and'll be a tough team for Tigers to beat.
Semper in excretia
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:07 pm The fact Kelly is in at 23 suggests he has a knock.

I've not seen him play but as a 19 year old Irish U20's international he hopefully is ready for the step up, which in this case is a big one. :smt027
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

So for Toulon we have at 5 "Taofifenua" then at 17 we have "Another Taofifenua" :smt044
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Noggs wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:19 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:07 pm The fact Kelly is in at 23 suggests he has a knock.

I've not seen him play but as a 19 year old Irish U20's international he hopefully is ready for the step up, which in this case is a big one. :smt027
Really surprised Kelly has been picked - he’s a good prospect but surely Porter, Steward, Worth, and Williams are ahead of him?

Anyone agree or am I missing something?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

SthrnTiger wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:29 pm

Really surprised Kelly has been picked - he’s a good prospect but surely Porter, Steward, Worth, and Williams are ahead of him?

Very happy with that team.. Would like to have seen Porter at 13 as I've not been convinced by Taute but otherwise it's a very strong XV with good impact off the bench. Good to see Potter getting rewarded for some solid performances and very excited to see Kini at 15.

Kelly has had a bit of game time so far. He started in midfield against Wasps (the less said about that match the better) and came off the bench in the Glos game.. not sure he'd get the nod over Porter so can only think Porter has picked up a knock as he was deemed fit to face Castres. Equally I would have thought Steward might get included based on current from but with Henry able to cover 10 & 15 and a great option to have on the bench perhaps having Kelly gives more cover in midfield.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Looks like a very strong side we have picked, will be interesting how we travel and perform.
COME ON YOU TIGERRRrrrssssss
:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

There's been some cold and flu stuff going round. Maybe a couple of lads have picked up some of that and have been rested as a result. Could be knocks picked up in training though given the number of more experienced backs overlooked for Kelly that would presumably be quite a few. Interesting also that Smith is on the bench rather than Henderson or Chessum that would be more like for like replacements for Wells. I suppose we can always move Liebenburg to 6 or lock if we needed to.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:52 pm

Very happy with that team.. Would like to have seen Porter at 13 as I've not been convinced by Taute but otherwise it's a very strong XV with good impact off the bench. Good to see Potter getting rewarded for some solid performances and very excited to see Kini at 15.

Kelly has had a bit of game time so far. He started in midfield against Wasps (the less said about that match the better) and came off the bench in the Glos game.. not sure he'd get the nod over Porter so can only think Porter has picked up a knock as he was deemed fit to face Castres. Equally I would have thought Steward might get included based on current from but with Henry able to cover 10 & 15 and a great option to have on the bench perhaps having Kelly gives more cover in midfield.
Porter probably still on concussion return protocol and therefore not risked
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Maybe the pick also has an eye to Bristol on Wednesday. Not saying winning last 2 Prem games is a massive priority but maybe ensuring we don't lose heavily is.
As Good As It Gets
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:15 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:52 pm

Porter probably still on concussion return protocol and therefore not risked
GM said he was fit to face Castres but not selected so I think he would have been available for this after his HIA
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

That looks a good side to me and hopefully will be a winning one, come on Tigers, lets end that losing run against French sides and especially Toulon. Wish I was there, super place to go! :smt038