QF cancelled - Castres forfeit match!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Tigers vs Castres - 20 Sep 20 at 1500

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

A win, a derby win and a much needed win at that. On to next weekend and the much anticipated return of European rugby. This will be a real test, our biggest so far and a great opportunity to build on the positives that we have seen since the restart and hopefully a chance to cut out the negatives.

Team wise I am thinking:

15 Freddie Steward
14 Kini Murimurivalu
13 Guy Porter
12 Matt Scott
11 Nemani Nadolo
10 George Ford
9 Ben Youngs (vc)
1 Ellis Genge
2 Tom Youngs (c)
3 Dan Cole (vc)
4 Tomás Lavanini
5 Calum Green
6 Harry Wells
7 Jordan Taufua
8 Hanro Liebenberg

Replacements:

16 Charlie Clare
17 Facundo Gigena
18 Nephi Leatigaga
19 Blake Enever
20 Luke Wallace
21 Ben White
22 Zack Henry
23 Harry Potter

I think the backs division picks itself, front 5 I reckon will be pretty much nailed albeit Clare has been outstanding so far and possibly deserves the start on form; that being said I can't see TY not getting the nod and I would be more than happy with that as he’s been excellent since the resumption too.

Back row is a tough one. Wallace deserves to be in the starting XV for me, but Liebenberg was really solid at 8 today and that's arguably his best position. That said Wells often seems to get the nod for the big games so think he may get the 6 jersey. Not sure if Reffell is fit if so he may feature. Injuries dependent, for me it's just 6,7,8 that's a tough decision and it's a nice dilemma to have. Maybe we might see a 6/2 split on the bench with Reffell in for Potter but I'd like to see him given a chance again as he looked sharp against Saints.
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Castres - 20 Sep 20 at 1500

Post by Tiglon »

Castres have now played two competitive games since the restart. They narrowly beat Agen (who were second bottom when last season ended) and lost to Stade Francais (who were bottom when last season ended).

I haven't seen either match but the results are not good and they will be considerably less battle hardened than Tigers. Should be a good opportunity to win.

Agree generally with the team above, although I would argue TY is easily the in form hooker at the moment and is first choice on merit. There is a case to put Wallace/Reffell (if fit) at 7 and Taufua at 6. Depends on who is likely to play for Castres and what their strengths are.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

You would think we really should be beating Castres, we all know how French teams travel (and that was before the probable added covid hurdles). I'd be interested to hear how they've played in their two games if anybody has seen them
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Both Youngs and Clare have hardly put a foot wrong since the restart. Lineout was a bit hit and miss today for TY but otherwise has been solid. I agree with your comments and I’m sure we’ll see TY starting next weekend (and yes, on merit)
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Castres are normally defensively sound (Joe Worsley is defence coach) but are prone to concede penalties under pressure. Borthwick and his team will have studied Castres and will hopefully have a cunning plan!
Semper in excretia
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

We always look better playing a proper openside, would start with Reffell if fit or Wallace otherwise. Imagine we’ll target the breakdown, kick lots and pressure them to play off their mistakes.

Genge Youngs Cole
Lavanini Green
Taufua Liebenberg Reffell
Youngs Ford
Scott Porter
Nadolo Steward Murimurivalu

Clare Gigena Leatigaga Wells Wallace White Henry Potter
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:34 pm We always look better playing a proper openside, would start with Reffell if fit or Wallace otherwise. Imagine we’ll target the breakdown, kick lots and pressure them to play off their mistakes.

Genge Youngs Cole
Lavanini Green
Taufua Liebenberg Reffell
Youngs Ford
Scott Porter
Nadolo Steward Murimurivalu

Clare Gigena Leatigaga Wells Wallace White Henry Potter
Completely agree. I would much rather see Reffell/Wallace starting but Wells seems to get the nod for the big games which is why I think he’ll start against Castres. Would prefer to see your XV though so let’s see.. with Brink and Wiese still to come in we will be spoiled for choice in the back row
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:21 pm Castres are normally defensively sound (Joe Worsley is defence coach) but are prone to concede penalties under pressure. Borthwick and his team will have studied Castres and will hopefully have a cunning plan!
Steve Baldrick?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Will Porter be fit, I heard he was injured?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

JP14 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 am
Robespierre wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:21 pm Castres are normally defensively sound (Joe Worsley is defence coach) but are prone to concede penalties under pressure. Borthwick and his team will have studied Castres and will hopefully have a cunning plan!
Steve Baldrick?
Bravo, JP! the first to spot it!
Semper in excretia
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:58 am
Steve Baldrick?
Shame Bath got rid of Todd Blackadder, Baldrick's cunning plans usually ended badly for Blackadder...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:58 am
Steve Baldrick?
:smt030
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 am Will Porter be fit, I heard he was injured?
He went off for a HIA didn't he? So if he failed the HIA then he won't be available. There is the chance he passed the HIA but the coaches decided to keep him off anyway for tactical reasons, or to save him for Saturday.

If he's unavailable then the coaches will have an interesting decision to make. Personally I'd probably go 12.Taute 13.Scott as I think Taute can offer solidity at 12 and Scott has the pace for 13. As discussed a lot of these boards I just feel Taute doesn't have the pace for outside centre anymore. His Munster appearances being almost exclusively from 12 after the knee injury but mainly 13 and even 15 before injury are telling of what it did to his pace. Still a good player and squad member but at 12 IMO.

Nadolo and Murimurivalu can cover 13 well too so might be considered with Williams and Potter having performed well on the wings.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:59 pm 16 Charlie Clare
17 Facundo Gigena
18 Nephi Leatigaga
19 Blake Enever
20 Luke Wallace
21 Ben White
22 Zack Henry