Formerly of this parish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Formerly of this parish

Post by Tiglon »

I might be wrong, but I suspect being an international lock is more than just height and weight.

Alex Moon is heavier and taller than Dom Barrow (according to The Internet, I haven't weighed either of them myself).
Nick Isiekwe is 2m and 120kg.
Johnny Hill is 2m and 133kg.
I expect there are plenty of alternatives to Dom Barrow even if you can't bear to have a 2nd row who is under 2m and 120kg....

A look at the respective career histories of Ewels and Barrow probably tells you something about their respective attitudes and levels of commitment... and, if Borthwick has taught us anything, it's probably that attitude and commitment is better than raw talent (up to a point, obviously).
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:38 pm
LekkerTigers wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:29 pm It might seem daft, but England don't have a surplus of 2m tall, 120+kg locks. Now that Kruis is retired, Launchbury is the heaviest lock England will be able to feasibly play.
Chessum is only 2kg shy and I’d take him every day over Barrow
True. Chessum could be that big lock England need. However, he seems to be heading down the slighter lock/blindside route, like Lawes before him. I think he's still not done his physical development (his upper body is still quite slender).
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I wasn't in the slightest way suggesting Barrow for England, just comparing with one of the present crop, but when he turned up he wasn't that far off for me.
I would hazard a guess that he didn't fit in the Tigers Clique at the time, as much as his general attitude.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:55 pm I might be wrong, but I suspect being an international lock is more than just height and weight.

Alex Moon is heavier and taller than Dom Barrow (according to The Internet, I haven't weighed either of them myself).
Nick Isiekwe is 2m and 120kg.
Johnny Hill is 2m and 133kg.
I expect there are plenty of alternatives to Dom Barrow even if you can't bear to have a 2nd row who is under 2m and 120kg....

A look at the respective career histories of Ewels and Barrow probably tells you something about their respective attitudes and levels of commitment... and, if Borthwick has taught us anything, it's probably that attitude and commitment is better than raw talent (up to a point, obviously).
Very true. However, there's no way Johnny Hill is 133kg, he looks too lanky. Chiefs have him listed as 112kg. Weight and height aren't everything, but a good tighthead lock is worth their weight in gold. Remember how Lawes over Kruis in the final made an impact in the scrums (amongst other issues, including bad refereeing).
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:57 pm I wasn't in the slightest way suggesting Barrow for England, just comparing with one of the present crop, but when he turned up he wasn't that far off for me.
I would hazard a guess that he didn't fit in the Tigers Clique at the time, as much as his general attitude.
Didn't he *allegedly* have a punch up with OTY?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I remember seeing Barrow do a number on Chiefs pack when we beat them at home partnering Wells in the engine room. I honestly thought he was gonna be special but he just didn't crack on. He may have had other games like that for us but that one just stood out
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

fentiger wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:23 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:57 pm I wasn't in the slightest way suggesting Barrow for England, just comparing with one of the present crop, but when he turned up he wasn't that far off for me.
Nothing alleged about it he did
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:35 pm
fentiger wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:23 pm
Nothing alleged about it he did
I was being a little careful just in case :smt003
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

To be honest never saw anything from Barrow to suggest that he was any more than an average player. Another example of a player being built up way beyond his ability.
A2O
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:52 pm To be honest never saw anything from Barrow to suggest that he was any more than an average player. Another example of a player being built up way beyond his ability.
He always seemed to leave the pitch at welford road with the look of a man who had put a good shift in though
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LekkerTigers wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:04 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:38 pm
LekkerTigers wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:29 pm It might seem daft, but England don't have a surplus of 2m tall, 120+kg locks. Now that Kruis is retired, Launchbury is the heaviest lock England will be able to feasibly play.
Chessum is only 2kg shy and I’d take him every day over Barrow
True. Chessum could be that big lock England need. However, he seems to be heading down the slighter lock/blindside route, like Lawes before him. I think he's still not done his physical development (his upper body is still quite slender).
Itoje played a bit of 6 when he was younger and I think Chessum will whilst he's developing. As you say he will be filling out a bit more and once he's finished that he'll probably be a fixture in the engine room. Hopefully a mobile monster of a second row.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I’ve read that Graham Rowntree will take over as head coach of Munster in July 2022! Good man, Wig!!!
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:19 pm I’ve read that Graham Rowntree will take over as head coach of Munster in July 2022! Good man, Wig!!!
And here's confirmation from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/61081839

Get two or three years with Munster under his belt and he could be on his way home!!
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Guy Thompson is to retire at the end of the season. Very good and dependable club player who always gave 100%.
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Robespierre wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:55 pm Guy Thompson is to retire at the end of the season. Very good and dependable club player who always gave 100%.
Yes ,arguably saved us more than Ford in that close relegation season.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer