Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Formerly of this parish

Post by Scott1 »

I know it doesn't effect anything but did he play England U20? Sure he did 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Offside wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:35 pm I think Ben was the victim of Wigglesworth coming in. He had some good games but also a few rabbit in headlight moments. Others got the opportunity to stay and grow after the experience of playing some tough games. London Irish and now Scotland will get that experience from Ben. I think JVP looked better when the choice was made and but maybe not any better currently. I suspect a higher salary, chance to be 2nd choice and move to be closer to girlfriend rather than stay on a lower salary as 3/4th choice battle you may not win. Good luck to him other than when playing Tigers and England.
I never thought it was Wigglesworth that pushed him out, more that JVP overtook him, Wigglesworth he actually publicly stated helped him progress his game, JVP plus a London based partner would be higher up than a guy who you know has limited future playing
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/Champrugby/status/1 ... dJYSg&s=19

Thom Smith scored at the death to give Doncaster a win and propel them to the top of the Championship as Ealing lost to Bedford.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Thin getting nothing but rave reviews from Doncaster feel it’s a shame we didn’t keep him.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Leo Cullen has signed a one-year extension to his contract as head coach of Leinster (2022/23)
Semper in excretia
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:47 pm Leo Cullen has signed a one-year extension to his contract as head coach of Leinster (2022/23)
Surprised he's not in line for a job with their National side by now, he learnt a lot in his stint at Tigers didn't he, good player in his day.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
CrumbieGrumbler

Dom Barrow is back in the game!

Post by CrumbieGrumbler »

Good to see Dom Barrow back in the game after his trial with Sale. I always had high hopes for him here until it all went a bit pear shaped..
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Dom Barrow now a confirmed signing for Sale
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:55 pm Dom Barrow now a confirmed signing for Sale
And on the bench already!

Sale with 3 second row signings in quick succession, implies that the Saffas are off?
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:49 pm I liked White at Tigers, didn't know he was Scottish though. Unfortunately for him he wasn't as good as Youngs, as experienced as Wigglesworth, or seem to have the potential of JvP.

Hope he comes on and gets a cap :smt023
Apparently one of his grandparents was!

Always seems strange to me you can go back 2 generations. It’s one thing accepting parents’ nationality as many work overseas or in the forces but for me grandparents is too far.

I know that the UK is 4 countries and one nationality but many/most countries wouldn’t give you a passport on the strength of a grandparent’s nationality. Indeed many won’t give passports to children of their nationals. My daughters are not entitled to Norwegian nationality even though I hold it. (Ok not a rugby nation as such)

So why does rugby allow this country of convenience and allow players to choose nations they have negligible ties with. Live there, work there and qualify by residency in the same way you might qualify for a passport and nationality and rugby should look at it the same way even if you have a shared UK nationality.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:31 am
Tiglon wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:49 pm I liked White at Tigers, didn't know he was Scottish though. Unfortunately for him he wasn't as good as Youngs, as experienced as Wigglesworth, or seem to have the potential of JvP.

Always seems strange to me you can go back 2 generations. It’s one thing accepting parents’ nationality as many work overseas or in the forces but for me grandparents is too far.

I know that the UK is 4 countries and one nationality but many/most countries wouldn’t give you a passport on the strength of a grandparent’s nationality. Indeed many won’t give passports to children of their nationals. My daughters are not entitled to Norwegian nationality even though I hold it. (Ok not a rugby nation as such)

So why does rugby allow this country of convenience and allow players to choose nations they have negligible ties with. Live there, work there and qualify by residency in the same way you might qualify for a passport and nationality and rugby should look at it the same way even if you have a shared UK nationality.
Interestingly though Ancestry Visa's you can (if your grandparents emigrated to a commonwealth country) use a grandparent to become British.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:00 pm
mol2 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:31 am

Interestingly though Ancestry Visa's you can (if your grandparents emigrated to a commonwealth country) use a grandparent to become British.
In terms of rugby, I would rather think about what makes someone "an English rugby player" rather than "English full stop". For me it's all about where you learnt your rugby, and that means where you lived between perhaps 8 and 18. If it was up to me, national qualification would be something like having lived in that country for minimum 4/5 years between those ages.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

If a Grandparent has Scottish blood, then Parent has half Scottish blood and he must have a quarter, so why not?
parvacat

Post by parvacat »

Just looked at Manu's stats since moving to Sale.

In 2.5 seasons he has appeared 16 times, totaling 951 minutes on the pitch and scoring 10 points. A value for money signing?

I wish him well on Saturday and loved him playing for us, but.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

parvacat wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:59 pm Just looked at Manu's stats since moving to Sale.

In 2.5 seasons he has appeared 16 times, totaling 951 minutes on the pitch and scoring 10 points. A value for money signing?

I wish him well on Saturday and loved him playing for us, but.....
Hmmm I seem to remember Steve Diamond saying he would be able to keep him fit and on the pitch more thanwe had...