Formerly of this parish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Formerly of this parish

Post by LE18 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:36 pm Sounds as though Owen Williams is likely to take up a contract with Worcester Warriors next season after a season long stint in Japan. Would be replacing Duncan Weir.

Real shame that things didn’t work for him to stay with us (I know money talks...!) as he looked like a great 10/12 option. Would be good to see him back in the Premiership!
I would much prefer him to return here than Burns.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

LE18 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:23 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:36 pm Sounds as though Owen Williams is likely to take up a contract with Worcester Warriors next season after a season long stint in Japan. Would be replacing Duncan Weir.

Real shame that things didn’t work for him to stay with us (I know money talks...!) as he looked like a great 10/12 option. Would be good to see him back in the Premiership!
I’ll second that.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Dokie wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:26 pm

I’ll second that.
Dokie, After just returning from a weeks holiday in South Wales, I'm not converted to supporting their players but I firmly believe Burns has had his day and Williams still has something to offer both as a 10 and 12 and I assume much younger.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

LE18 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:30 pm

I’ll second that.
Dokie, After just returning from a weeks holiday in South Wales, I'm not converted to supporting their players but I firmly believe Burns has had his day and Williams still has something to offer both as a 10 and 12 and I assume much younger.
I’m so disappointed by the start of your post!
I think Owen is 28. Found it strange that no one offered him good money in Wales or England. The few times he played 12 for Wales, he looked talented as a second playmaker.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

:-)
Dokie wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:37 pm
I’ll second that.
I think Owen is 28. Found it strange that no one offered him good money in Wales or England. The few times he played 12 for Wales, he looked talented as a second playmaker.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Freddie and Manu Tuilagi to open 'Gin Lab' ......

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/what ... gi-5299183
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Owen is about a year younger than Freddie, 29 as opposed to 30. Both are talented players, I think Freddie is probably better at 10 and Owen at 12, both could play at 15 although Freddie has probably done that on more occasions. I and I suspect others have no idea of the wage demands of each player but I would suggest other factors to be taken into account are that Worcester are probably offering a starting role to Owen not as a second choice behind George Ford which Freddie has accepted. Also Burns unlike Williams is English qualified and that has benefits for the club.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I’ll second that.
I doubt Owen Williams is returning on the cheap. Worcester need a starting 10 and here he is. His injury record pre the Japan stint was pretty bad so that may have put quite a few off, Worcester have some young flyhalfs on the books so it might work well for them to rotate Owen and keep him in good nick but at the same time give the younger guys game time. Wales clubs might feel a bit put out after he turned them down when he left Glaws and went to Japan.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:03 am

I doubt Owen Williams is returning on the cheap. Worcester need a starting 10 and here he is. His injury record pre the Japan stint was pretty bad so that may have put quite a few off, Worcester have some young flyhalfs on the books so it might work well for them to rotate Owen and keep him in good nick but at the same time give the younger guys game time. Wales clubs might feel a bit put out after he turned them down when he left Glaws and went to Japan.
TJ Perenara,Owens HB partner,has been waxing lyrical about him and is shocked he hasnt had more Welsh caps. Me too,Williams on his game is a better player than Priestland all day imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Williams suffered first from WRU prejudice at being a player outside of Wales, then went to Gloucester on a lot of money where injury prevented him from getting a sustained run of games for the Cherry & Whites.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:35 am
TJ Perenara,Owens HB partner,has been waxing lyrical about him and is shocked he hasnt had more Welsh caps. Me too,Williams on his game is a better player than Priestland all day imo.
Which is interesting given Owen has only played 1 game for them all season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:49 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:35 am

Which is interesting given Owen has only played 1 game for them all season.
Really haha I always knew TJ was a wrong un 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Brad Thorn has just led his Quenland Reds to the Super Rugby AU title.
Real shame he came to Leicester at the tail end of his career , an absolute monster in his prime ....

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sup ... ugby-coach
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I understand that Julien Dupuy is to be offered a year's extension to his role of skills/attack coach for Rugby Club Toulon.
He must be doing a good job!
Semper in excretia
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Great post-op interview with Will Evans:

https://twitter.com/harlequins/status/1 ... 34477?s=21

Wishing him a speedy recovery as he was hitting some form before his injury!
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.