Freddie Steward

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Freddie Steward

Post by Tiglon »

loretta wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:04 pm Is it just me, or is there a bit of a Stimpson vibe about Steward? Just reminds me of a young, raw, undeveloped version. Let’s hope things come on well.
Exactly what I was thinking, but didn't want to tempt fate by saying it too soon!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

loretta wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:04 pm Is it just me, or is there a bit of a Stimpson vibe about Steward?
Not until he lands a distance kick off the crossbar AND post :smt002

Seriously though, I also think this, let's hope we're still saying this in 10 years.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Ooh, I was there that day. Time seemed to stop for a while.
Had a great night out after, cracking sing song in a pub by Nottingham station that seemed to have been taken over by Welsh and with some great Llanelli fans back in Leicester.
My dad swapped shirts with one of them.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I was there for that too, and I remember the tigers fans behind the posts erupting when the kick was good. Also a churlish commentator (Cleary, I think, or I’d like to think Stephen Jones) saying that he nicked a couple of yards, whereas it was quite clear from the tv footage that he actually took the kick from behind the mark.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A player with a monster hoof helps to stop sides conceding penalties around the halfway line with impunity. Let’s hope he continues to develop.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

The salarysins first half penalties from their own half were a big part of them winning yesterday. If we have a player that can keep the scoreboard ticking over or keep opposition honest, providing clean ball at the breakdown it will help the team development and performance no end. :smt001 :smt001
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Offside wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:45 pm The salarysins first half penalties from their own half were a big part of them winning yesterday. If we have a player that can keep the scoreboard ticking over or keep opposition honest, providing clean ball at the breakdown it will help the team development and performance no end. :smt001 :smt001
Personally I don't think a kick at goal should be allowed from your own half.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:33 pm
Offside wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:45 pm The salarysins first half penalties from their own half were a big part of them winning yesterday. If we have a player that can keep the scoreboard ticking over or keep opposition honest, providing clean ball at the breakdown it will help the team development and performance no end. :smt001 :smt001
Personally I don't think a kick at goal should be allowed from your own half.
I don't think a kick at goal should be allowed in the opposition half. Encourage attacking play. Also make it illegal for more than 6 players from one team to join a maul.

No one wants a kick fest, but the rolling maul fest that we often have these days is dull too.
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

Rugby (Union) is and should remain a sport that can be played and won in different ways. “Attacking” play does not necessarily make for an attractive game. If you don’t like mauling, scrummaging or goal kicks then there are other sports that might appeal to you more
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

dunc wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:42 pm Rugby (Union) is and should remain a sport that can be played and won in different ways. “Attacking” play does not necessarily make for an attractive game. If you don’t like mauling, scrummaging or goal kicks then there are other sports that might appeal to you more
It's not goal kicks that I dislike, watching Dusty kick like a metronome was wonderful, but you commit an offence 5 yards in your opponent's half for something technical, & loose 3 points it just grates a bit & doesn't enhance the game.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:00 pm
dunc wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:42 pm Rugby (Union) is and should remain a sport that can be played and won in different ways. “Attacking” play does not necessarily make for an attractive game. If you don’t like mauling, scrummaging or goal kicks then there are other sports that might appeal to you more
It's not goal kicks that I dislike, watching Dusty kick like a metronome was wonderful, but you commit an offence 5 yards in your opponent's half for something technical, & loose 3 points it just grates a bit & doesn't enhance the game.
It's really simple for me. Don't commit the offence in the first place. Play within the laws and give the game the chance to flow naturally.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:17 am
It's really simple for me. Don't commit the offence in the first place. Play within the laws and give the game the chance to flow naturally.
I mean, yes, you are technically correct, but part of rugby union is the 'cheating' or dark arts call it whatever you like, but thats one of the main roles of the props and flankers...
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Don't get that logic at all. A penalty is a penalty. The 3 points from the halfway line would be a let off against the Chiefs who invariably kick to the corner, set up a driving maul and get 5 points - usually plus the extras.

Even with these two ways of conceding sometimes teams rack up a large quantity of penalties. If the authorities went more lenient how many more would there be. Remember the penalties are there as a deterrent to breaking the laws of the game and ergo stopping your opponent playing. The best games are the ones where there are few penalties.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Oh, and Freddie, yes, I was thinking another Stimpson too. Let's hope so.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

ourla wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:23 am
Don't get that logic at all. A penalty is a penalty. The 3 points from the halfway line would be a let off against the Chiefs who invariably kick to the corner, set up a driving maul and get 5 points - usually plus the extras.

Even with these two ways of conceding sometimes teams rack up a large quantity of penalties. If the authorities went more lenient how many more would there be. Remember the penalties are there as a deterrent to breaking the laws of the game and ergo stopping your opponent playing. The best games are the ones where there are few penalties.

the most ridiculous penalties are the ones given for "not rolling away" when either it is abundantly clear that the tackler has been trapped in by members of the ball carrier's team who are clearly not supporting their body weight or when the ball carrier has clearly not released, placed or passed the ball, the tackle should not be deemed to be over until the ball has in some way been played, referees need to look at the ball - if the ball carrier is holding it off the ground a ruck cannot form therefore the tackle is not complete.