Matches with Test Crowds

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Matches with Test Crowds

Post by GB72 »

Out of interest, are we on the list of matches that may be allowed test crowds in the near future. I would be interested to understand how this is agreed as it gives some (though not a great amount) much needed income to clubs and as such it would only seem fair that these matches are spread around. So far, it would seem that Quins have been involved. in 2 of the matches that have been allowed paying fans into the ground. Guess the localised lockdown would have put us down the list but was surprised that the derby match at the weekend was not used as a test fixture.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Matches with Test Crowds

Post by Ian Cant »

At the moment it’s probably a good job that we aren’t having fans in as Gloucester made a huge loss on the 1,000 fans they had in v Quins. Quins also found having about 2, 700 in was not financially viable. Tigers need the corporate side of business to kick start soon. I think most fans will respect whatever rules are put in place so that we can return. Bristol and Wasps had put forward their grounds to have fans back with about 30%: The RFU want Twickenham to open to fans for the first England game and early suggestions are for around 20,000 fans!
Like most of us I want to get down to Welford Road and certainly all Rugby Union, League and football clubs need the fans back soon to be able to survive. The City centres need the footfall too! Then of course there are all those employed by the clubs that desperately need the grounds up and running.
Now, at least the press and all those who moaned about Tigers getting the players to take a cut in salary know why! I’m sure all those being made redundant right now would take a 25% cut with a longer contract! Fortunately, now being retired, I don’t have to worry about employment anymore: just the desire to support Tigers at least at home!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Unfortunately, (unless I'm incorrect), Tigers are not able to be a part of the test pilot scheme because of the local lockdown.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Leicester do however feature in a 'test 'game with the Sept 30 encounter Vs Bristol (Ashton Gate) having fans allowed :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/two-more ... to-return/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Looks like the return of crowds to stadium in all sports could be put back on hold if what is being reported is true.

Gove said that "if people can work from home they should" and said sport with live audiences was being halted because of the risk of fans mixing on the way to the stadium or during half-time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54242634
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well that rings the death knell for English sport.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Big worries for the new Championship season, apparently their clubs rely on attendances to pay player salaries and may have to become amateur if fans can't attend.

Might put Saracens in a bit of a pickle too... unless they get into a ringfenced 13 club Premiership
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Since 97% of infections occur indoors (Independent SAGE yesterday), being outdoors is almost risk free. Socially distanced pods with appropriate entry organisation could be easily safe. But then we can't get permission to run orienteering events - time trials in open country! Yet bars stay open, people in supermarkets wander round with masks on their chins, and teachers like me have to work in relatively unprotected mobs. :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:03 pm Since 97% of infections occur indoors (Independent SAGE yesterday), being outdoors is almost risk free. Socially distanced pods with appropriate entry organisation could be easily safe. But then we can't get permission to run orienteering events - time trials in open country! Yet bars stay open, people in supermarkets wander round with masks on their chins, and teachers like me have to work in relatively unprotected mobs. :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
We could organise a Grouse Shoot at WR though.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:03 pm Since 97% of infections occur indoors (Independent SAGE yesterday), being outdoors is almost risk free. Socially distanced pods with appropriate entry organisation could be easily safe. But then we can't get permission to run orienteering events - time trials in open country! Yet bars stay open, people in supermarkets wander round with masks on their chins, and teachers like me have to work in relatively unprotected mobs. :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Wearing a mask under your nose is about as effective as wearing a condom on your scrotum.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

loretta wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:02 pm
Wearing a mask under your nose is about as effective as wearing a condom on your scrotum.
That must have been my dad's trick, 7 kids plus undiscovered others probably 😅😅
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

loretta wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:02 pm

Finally I now know why I have 10 children
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Cancelling the trials is yet another knee jerk reaction. It's as if there is little or no thought given to individual risk situations and instead it is all about the tough headline of removing any possible 'reward' to the general public because they have not followed the rules regardless of whether in doing so you are reducing risk of transmission in a meaningful way.

The contrast in approach between England and Scotland says a lot. North of the boarder the talk is of being kind to one another as part of society at large where as in England is is all about increasing the size of fines for not doing what you are told. We will not win this unless most if not all people are on board.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!