Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: European competitions

Post by kk20gb30 »

Exeter Vs Sarries in a Euro Final ?
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:23 am Exeter Vs Sarries in a Euro Final ?
Non! Toulouse v Racing !!
Semper in excretia
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I think Racing will be a step too far for Saracens.

Chiefs and Toulouse really difficult to call but I am going Chiefs.

So Racing v Chiefs final.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I think whoever wins the Racing v Saracens match will be the eventual tournament winners.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

May be worth a Sarries victory over Exeter in the European Cup final just to see the expression on Tony Rowe's face....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I'm going Toulouse for the eventual cup winners.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would love Toulouse or Racing to win, would be funny if Sarries beat Exeter in the final though :smt003.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Semi-finals weekend!

Champions' Cup

Saturday 26th
2h00 (French time) Racing v Saracens
3h30 (GMT) Exeter v Toulouse

I can't honestly see Saracens getting the better of an impressive Racing team with the outstanding Russell at fly half, the pugnacious Chat at hooker and the elusive and powerful Vakatawa in the centre.

Toulouse brushed aside Ulster without much difficulty, but Exeter will provide a stern challenge and will probably have too much grunt in the pack. So although i'd dearly like Toulouse to be going for their 5th Champions' Cup, it's unlikely to be this year.

Challenge Cup

Friday 25th
7h45 (GMT) Bristol v Bordeaux

Saturday 26th
9h00pm (French time) Toulon v Tigers

Bordeaux will be among the pack for the Top14 title at the end of the season and will be a tough nut to crack for Bristol, but the Bears have talented players throughout and I believe they'll win narrowly.
In Toulon, my head goes with the home side, but my heart with Tigers, of course. Toulon aren't what they were a few years ago but are still formidable and will probably win by 10.
Semper in excretia
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

In spite of the humble pie last week again have to go against Sarries - there are only so many times you can keep defying the odds , and the effort of last week will be hard to repeat.
Exeter vs Toulouse two years back would have simply been a slugfest , the collision of 2 packs with last man standing the winner.The chiefs have added another dimension since then however and at Sandy Park will be just too strong , I believe.
Meantime , Bristol to shade Bordeaux at Ashton Gate whilst my bias toward Leicester results in no prediction in this match - merely the hope and desire for us to perform on the day and produce a win any which way we can.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

The Toulouse team to take on Exeter:

Le XV de départ du Stade Toulousain: 15. Ramos; 14. Huget, 13. Guitoune, 12. Ahki; 11. Kolbe; 10. Ntamack, 9. Dupont; 7. Cros, 8. Tolofua, 6. Kaino (cap); 5. Tekori, 4. Ro. Arnold, 3. Faumuina, 2. J. Marchand, 1. Baille.

Remplaçants : 16. Mauvaka, 17. Neti, 18. Aldegheri, 19. Placines, 20. Madaule, 21. Balès, 22. Holmes, 23. Lebel.

Despite the impressive form of Exeter, this is a team that could get to the final!

Exeter Chiefs:

CHIEFS SIDE TO FACE TOULOUSE

15 Stuart Hogg
14 Jack Nowell
13 Henry Slade
12 Ian Whitten
11 Tom O’Flaherty
10 Joe Simmonds (capt)
9 Jack Maunder
1 Alec Hepburn
2 Luke Cowan-Dickie
3 Harry Williams
4 Jonny Gray
5 Jonny Hill
6 Dave Ewers
7 Sam Skinner
8 Sam Simmonds

16 Jack Yeandle
17 Ben Moon
18 Tomas Francis
19 Dave Dennis
20 Don Armand
21 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
22 Gareth Steenson
23 Ollie Devoto
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

The France2 tv channel is showing both the semi finals tomorrow and the missus isn't a rugby fan so I'm taking her out to lunch on Sunday! :smt003

Edit: and I'd forgotten about the other match in Toulon in the evening! Merde! A mountain of points to make up!
Last edited by Robespierre on Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

The Racing team v Sarries:

Le XV de départ du Racing 92 : 15. Zebo; 14. Thomas, 13. Vakatawa, 12. Klemenczak; 11. Imhoff; 10. Russell, 9. Iribaren (cap); 7. Sanconnie, 8. Claassen, 6. Lauret; 5. Bird, 4. Ryan, 3. Colombe, 2. Chat, 1. Ben Arous.

Remplaçants : 16. Baubigny, 17. Kolingar, 18. Oz, 19. Palu, 20. Chouzenoux, 21. Machenaud, 22. Gibert, 23. Trinh-Duc.

That's the team that must be favourites to win the title!

Saracens are unchanged from last week:

Saracens: Daly; Lewington, Taylor, Barritt (c), Maitland; Goode, Wigglesworth; M Vunipola, George, Koch; Itoje, Swinson; Rhodes, Wray, B Vunipola.

Replacements: Woolstencroft, Barrington, Clarey, Hunter-Hill, Clark, Davies, M Vunipola, Morris.
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Racing have to go all out at Sarries on the scrum if they want to deny them a foothold. If Finn Russell gets top trumps in this game that's surely a big boost to his Lions' credentials?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

JP14 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:23 pm Racing have to go all out at Sarries on the scrum if they want to deny them a foothold. If Finn Russell gets top trumps in this game that's surely a big boost to his Lions' credentials?
Unquestionably he'll be a Lion, and maybe first choice 10 too, but will Townsend pick him for Scotland after last season's falling out?
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The falling out seemed to be on the mend but then lockdown happened so who knows.