Team vs Saints

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Team vs Saints

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Our tackling at times was smashing them behind the gain line. Something we haven’t done for ages.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:02 pm With a bit of luck, Tigers could go above Wuss in the table if Wuss go home with nothing from Irish,
Fat chance ☹️ They’ve already got a tbp.
Semper in excretia
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Beating Saints is always something to celebrate and we waited 2 seasons for it. Defence was very good attack limited as per. Discipline was very poor as was the game and not impressed with Lady Ga Ga at the death mindlessly handing Saints an LBP via his macho challenge. Never known us beat Saints with 3 yellow cards and we dodged a bullet today. Need to improve big time to beat Castres but live in hope.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:39 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:02 pm With a bit of luck, Tigers could go above Wuss in the table if Wuss go home with nothing from Irish,
Fat chance ☹️ They’ve already got a tbp.
1 point behind Irish as things stand though
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

We beat Northampton.
We showed intensity and passion.
Henry is one of the best backup 10s in the Premiership.
Nadolo is only getting better.
Murimurivalu has bags of quality.
Steward already looks comfortable at this level after a couple of starts and could wear the Tigers 15 jersey for the next decade.
Liebenberg is the best 8 we've had for years.
Wells is turning into a brilliant club player.
Potter and Porter show more potential every time they step onto the pitch, despite never playing at this level before.
Scott is an excellent signing.
Lavanini looked like, dare I say it, an enforcer.
We still have a handful of really good players to arrive or become available.

Ok, so we're not the best team in the world yet and Saints were pretty poor, but I'm pretty confident that all they need is time to familiarise with each other and the right coaching. Have patience and enjoy the positives...
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

A win, a derby win and a much needed win at that. Not the best, not the worst but a win. Yes Saints were dire, yes against plenty of other teams conceding 3 yellow cards might end up with a different outcome but you can only play the team in front of you.

For me there were plenty of positives:

Henry, class act with a very assured performance at 10. More than capable stand in for George and somebody who will hopefully give us some much needed quality during the International periods. Steward, absolutely fantastic outing for the young lad. Very solid, some great try saving tackles and a great long range penalty. Nadolo, huge tackles, massive shift and some incredible offloads. Murimurivalu, more than solid enough debut. Showed his massive potential and a great addition. Wallace, another quality performance with some great work at the breakdown. Potter and Porter showing their value once again and a huge shift from Liebenberg.

Box kicks and chase were much better today. A few still too long but much improved in this area.

Great line speed, intensity and some huge tackles.

Negatives:

Discipline. 3 yellows would undoubtedly cost us against an in-form side. We have to get better at defending the driving maul. Terrible against Wasps and shaky again today.

Taufua is an absolute class act and a starter for me but he needs to cut out the needless penalties. So many times he's getting the ball as he falls off his feet and not listening to the ref. Needs to stop this then I think he could be a huge prospect for us.

Overall I am more than happy with the win. Some great individual performances, a win over the local rivals and a win without our talisman, George Ford. Build on this and sort the discipline out and we should be in great shape going into the crunch match vs. Castres next weekend.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:38 pm We beat Northampton.
Steward already looks comfortable at this level after a couple of starts and could wear the Tigers 15 jersey for the next decade.
Potter and Porter show more potential every time they step onto the pitch, despite never playing at this level before.

Ok, so we're not the best team in the world yet and Saints were pretty poor, but I'm pretty confident that all they need is time to familiarise with each other and the right coaching. Have patience and enjoy the positives...
Seems like we are thinking the same thing! :smt023
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:46 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:38 pm We beat Northampton.

Seems like we are thinking the same thing! :smt023
:smt023 +1
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

I have to admit to feeling some man love for our Mr Nadolo.

I’ve been watching the YouTube video he and his wife post. He and they clearly embrace the culture they are based in and Mr N clearly embraces the Tigers culture on and off the pitch. Man of the match today. Well deserved.

Long may he remain fit and his enthusiasm for club and country be maintained as autumn and winter kick in...

Oh....and his pork ribs.........and that’s not a euphemism...
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Just watched the game now, far far too many penalties given away, thought the scrum was solid as usual line out struggled in part due to 2 jumpers being in the bin, Henry fitted in well at 10 with the first 15, Nadolo seemed to be on a mission to crack some ribs which was superb, Porter was quiet before failing his HIA, Potter with an exception break shame the offload didn't stick.

Steward much better than last weekend good to see him bounce back
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

A number of positives and on another day we would have gone for the jugular more rather than take penalties and without the yellows could have blown them away. Its starting to come together and please can we give Steward a 10 year contract, so much talent and so young
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

For a brief moment we were off the bottom....
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

For the first time in years I am seeing positives all around the team, some players are growing in stature every time they take to the field - I hope Steward gets a decent run at fullback for example.

It does feel like once the full squad is available and the fixture schedule allows for more consistent team selection that Tigers will emerge as a force once again. It will take time for SB’s systems to bed in and for players to get used to each other but I’m excited for when they do.

It’s almost as if Saracens’ cheating and the CV-19 lockdown period created the perfect environment for Tigers to hit the reset button. It’s been very painful at times and there will be many more occasions like that before the team fully clicks but I like a lot of what I am seeing.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Didn't see the game, and just seen we won. Great news and well done lads, Against the Saints makes it so much sweeter. :smt038
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Great spirit shown and Nadolo is one great Tiger already. Zac Henry also played exceptionally well. Hopefully we can sort the discipline as each card was correct and Barnes was brilliant reffing again.
Proud again to be a Tiger. Now let’s back it up next week v Castres who are also finding form( not seen today’s result though!)