Team vs Saints

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Team vs Saints

Post by sam16111986 »

chewbacca wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:00 am Beating Saints is always a highlight but let's be realistic I'm just looking for us to be competitive and with more of a game plan than has been seen recently.
Saints have really struggled since the restart. Only LI, ourselves and Worcester have worse records. That's one win and five losses for Saints with two bonus points. If we put out a decent team and are not competitive here then we should be worried.

I say competitive and not winning because Boyd has had an awful lot more time to get that Saints team playing how he wants them to. I'd certainly hope we can put their scrum under pressure as that is an area where they've looked surprisingly off colour.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

As expected but Ford out with leg injury.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Yes, I want to see the Saints put to the sword by a devastating Tigers team.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wayne is in charge

Post by MurphysLaw »

Good news, I think, Wayne Barnes is refereeing the game this weekend.
However, not so good news imo, is the tv ref - Rowan Kitt.
Rightly or wrongly, tv refs now have a significant influence on games, and we never seem to get the 'rub of the green' with 'Kitty' and his interpretations.Or maybe it's just my imagination!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Good to see Henry get a chance at 10 even though it’s due to George being injured.
Forget the form of Saints as I’ve always said if Saints could be brainwashed into thinking they were playing us every week they’d be unbeatable!
Tigers haven’t “turned up” in the last couple of games against Saints and have been heavily defeated. Time to restore pride!
Despite both clubs having European games the following week, this is the one that matters!
SthrnTiger

Re: Wayne is in charge

Post by SthrnTiger »

Good to hear Wayne Barnes is in charge obviously not infallible but is a class above the others. Other good thing about Barnes is that not afraid to overrule overzealous TMOs.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Henry/Bigger will be an interesting match as will the two back rows. Bring it on :smt027
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Two strong teams - looks like this match will be the real deal.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Leicester Tigers (v Northampton Saints, Welford Road, Sunday 2.00pm)

15 Freddie Steward

14 Kini Murimurivalu

13 Guy Porter

12 Matt Scott

11 Nemani Nadolo

10 Zack Henry

9 Ben Youngs (vc)

1 Facundo Gigena

2 Tom Youngs (c)

3 Dan Cole (vc)

4 Tomás Lavanini

5 Calum Green

6 Harry Wells

7 Luke Wallace

8 Hanro Liebenberg

Replacements:

16 Charlie Clare

17 Ellis Genge

18 Nephi Leatigaga

19 Thom Smith

20 Jordan Taufua

21 Ben White

22 Johnny McPhillips

23 Harry Potter

Northampton Saints: 15 George Furbank, 14 Ahsee Tuala, 13 Matt Proctor, 12 Rory Hutchinson, 11 Taqele Naiyaravoro, 10 Dan Biggar, 9 Alex Mitchell; 1 Francois van Wyk, 2 James Fish, 3 Owen Franks, 4 David Ribbans, 5 Api Ratuniyarawa, 6 Courtney Lawes, 7 Lewis Ludlam, 8 Teimana Harrison (c). Reps: 16 Mike Haywood, 17 Emmanuel Iyogun,18 Paul Hill, 19 Alex Moon, 20 Nick Isiekwe, 21 JJ Tonks, 22 Henry Taylor, 23 Fraser Dingwall
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Really looking forward to seeing our back three in action!!!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

happywomble wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:19 pm Leicester Tigers (v Northampton Saints, Welford Road, Sunday 2.00pm)

15 Freddie Steward

14 Kini Murimurivalu

13 Guy Porter

12 Matt Scott

11 Nemani Nadolo

10 Zack Henry

9 Ben Youngs (vc)

1 Facundo Gigena

2 Tom Youngs (c)

3 Dan Cole (vc)

4 Tomás Lavanini

5 Calum Green

6 Harry Wells

7 Luke Wallace

8 Hanro Liebenberg

Replacements:

16 Charlie Clare

17 Ellis Genge

18 Nephi Leatigaga

19 Thom Smith

20 Jordan Taufua

21 Ben White

22 Johnny McPhillips

23 Harry Potter

Northampton Saints: 15 George Furbank, 14 Ahsee Tuala, 13 Matt Proctor, 12 Rory Hutchinson, 11 Taqele Naiyaravoro, 10 Dan Biggar, 9 Alex Mitchell; 1 Francois van Wyk, 2 James Fish, 3 Owen Franks, 4 David Ribbans, 5 Api Ratuniyarawa, 6 Courtney Lawes, 7 Lewis Ludlam, 8 Teimana Harrison (c). Reps: 16 Mike Haywood, 17 Emmanuel Iyogun,18 Paul Hill, 19 Alex Moon, 20 Nick Isiekwe, 21 JJ Tonks, 22 Henry Taylor, 23 Fraser Dingwall
Do we know when Kobus van Wyk joins us?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

It's a funny, topsy turvy world I'm in at the moment. General optimism last week, a bit of despair yesterday, lickling my lips today! :smt017 :smt045
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:21 pm
happywomble wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:19 pm Leicester Tigers (v Northampton Saints, Welford Road, Sunday 2.00pm)

15 Freddie Steward

14 Kini Murimurivalu

13 Guy Porter

12 Matt Scott

11 Nemani Nadolo

10 Zack Henry

9 Ben Youngs (vc)

1 Facundo Gigena

2 Tom Youngs (c)

3 Dan Cole (vc)

4 Tomás Lavanini

5 Calum Green

6 Harry Wells

7 Luke Wallace

8 Hanro Liebenberg

Replacements:

16 Charlie Clare

17 Ellis Genge

18 Nephi Leatigaga

19 Thom Smith

20 Jordan Taufua

21 Ben White

22 Johnny McPhillips

23 Harry Potter

Do we know when Kobus van Wyk joins us?
GM update to Leicestershire Live on 08 Sep:

“We're hopeful to get him in as soon as possible. The Visa centres are currently closed in New Zealand due to an outbreak of Covid which has been slightly problematic, but we are trying our very best to get him out of the country. His wife is due in about nine weeks, so, it's important we get her on a plane as soon as possible. We can't do anything while those Visa centres are closed. That is a Covid-induced wait and see."
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
maroontrunks
Tiger Cub

Post by maroontrunks »

After the carping about selection in the midweek games, it looks like the coaches have got it spot in for a match they're clearly aiming to win this weekend. Henry stepping in for Ford is great, though I'm still nervous about McPhillips on the bench, and hopefully Henry's flair will combine well with Youngs's control. Wells at 6 is clearly the right call knowing that Lawes would also be selected out of position, and with Reffell's injury, Taufua on the bench makes sense given his versatility and leadership abilities, which will become important if/when the captain and vice captains are subbed.

I hope we see a heroic effort from the forwards which will allow us to release the backs. Having a second fullback should be useful given our weakness under the high ball and lack of kick chase nous at present, here's hoping the plays have been adapted a bit to bring in the power on the wing. I'm not expecting miracles but I am expecting the team to play out of their skins and make life difficult for Northampton. Both sides are a little bit low on confidence at the moment but I think this could turn out to be a classic match as everyone has a lot to prove.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Ian Cant wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:08 pm Despite both clubs having European games the following week, this is the one that matters!
I know what you mean and I'm not understating the importance of this game but it's not.. next week is far more important imho
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!