Midweek Game - Wed 09 Sep Away to Wasps

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Midweek Game - Wed 09 Sep Away to Wasps

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:08 pm Wasps going all out.

Looking at various teams I feel we have been rather unlucky in always being against a 1st choice team.
And it appears that is set to continue...

"Northampton Saints’ Director of Rugby Chris Boyd has named a match day squad full of youth for Tuesday evening’s Gallagher Premiership visit to the West Country to face Bristol Bears"

So Saints resting players tonight for the big derby match at the weekend! Kind of to be expected as they won't want to lose to Tigers but as you say.. always up against a 1st XV
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
phil66lloyd

Post by phil66lloyd »

Do we really want to beat Castres?
My objectives for the last few games?

1)Rotate squad, give everybody the same sort of gametime, and establish who is going to be First Team Squad appropriate for 20/21. Purge the remainder.
2) Who is going to be the 2nd and 3rd Fly-halves?
3) Establish the tight five for 1st and 2nd 15's
4) Try not to be embarrassed so often/so much :smt011
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

I'm really looking forward to seeing Potter, Porter, Henry, Kelly and Simmons getting an extended run out. Of course I don't expect a win, but I'm hoping to see glimmers from these players. And Sam Lewis on the bench. That's a good sign.

On a slightly different note, I saw in a tweet somewhere (may have been Egerton) that Tigers are second in the league this season for Jackal breakdown wins (52) with only Wasps (71) ahead of us.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

phil66lloyd wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:24 pm Do we really want to beat Castres?
Would have to be a yes as it is chance of Silverware and carries a place for the European Champions Cup. It will also be a good test of a full first team.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:26 pm I'm surprised by Wasps selection as they have fellow top 4 rivals Bristol visiting next up and Wasps will have played a lot of their 1st XV weekly minutes against Sarries and then us
The issue with playing so poorly is that all sides are targeting us as a winnable game. Same scenario as Tigers putting out full strength at home against London Irish. Except Tigers are London Irish and the opposition are significantly better than Tigers at the moment!

I was chatting with a LI fan on another board about the prospect of ring fencing. We were discussing how sides will likely do the same as is common in the Pro 14 where they target the home games and more winnable away games then send weakened sides to tougher away games, particularly in the build up to Euro games. The LI fan then made the fair point that, "we'd be screwed given all London Irish fixtures are winnable games to the opposition".

Pretty much where Tigers are just now. For clubs targeting playoffs or securing Champions Cup qualification Tigers are an unguarded chicken coup full of TBPs.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

ABClub wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:29 pm Tigers are an unguarded chicken coup full of TBPs.
:smt046
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

MCC1964 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:33 pm
ABClub wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:29 pm Tigers are an unguarded chicken coup full of TBPs.
:smt046
:smt005
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

phil66lloyd wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:24 pm Do we really want to beat Castres?
My objectives for the last few games?

1)Rotate squad, give everybody the same sort of gametime, and establish who is going to be First Team Squad appropriate for 20/21. Purge the remainder.
2) Who is going to be the 2nd and 3rd Fly-halves?
3) Establish the tight five for 1st and 2nd 15's
4) Try not to be embarrassed so often/so much :smt011
This probably should be on another thread as it's not really relating to the Wasps game but for what it's worth..

1) It's going to be a slow burner this one. SB and the new coaching set up can't work miracles overnight. Beating Castres will go a long way in terms of boosting morale and confidence so we 100% should be targeting that game as TB said above.

As far as I can gather the coaches are rotating the squad, they have to with the sheer volume of games in fairly quick succession. I think SB will have a pretty good idea about his first XV now albeit with the likes of Mamu, Wiese, Brink, Moroni, Muri and Van Wyk all likely to feature in some capacity. I'd expect the majority of these new signings to be in the first choice match day 23 next season.

2) I think Henry and Hardwick will fight it out for the stand in fly half position, with Henry edging it for me.

3) Genge Youngs Cole Wells Green seem to get the nod for the big matches as things stand.
Gigena Mamu/Clare Leatigaga Lavanini Enever is a more than capable second string although I think think there will be a bit of movement in the fight for the starting spots with Leatigaga and Clare impressing (and Lavanini if he can stop being a penalty magnet) and Mamu to come in.

I think the back row options should provide a very welcome selection headache.. Liebenberg, Wallace, Taufua, Reffell, Brink, Wiese.. some great options there and I really look forward to seeing them play together!

Just my thoughts of course but I 100% think that we need to be targeting the Castres game.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

The European cup is something to actually play for that the league doesn't give us at the moment. So I think this is where a different mindset comes in.
That and the Saints game if the new boys* buy in and understand the relevance of it. The rest of the prem games are just pre-season practice games.

*I'm including coaches in that as well.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I'm sure the relevance of the Saints game is understood by all :axe:
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Looking at various teams I feel we have been rather unlucky in always being against a 1st choice team.
Everyone sees that if they put out their first team out against us they get a 5 point win
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:31 pm

Everyone sees that if they put out their first team out against us they get a 5 point win
And TBH I'm not sure that policing the 180 min rule is occurring.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:04 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:31 pm

And TBH I'm not sure that policing the 180 min rule is occurring.
It is something than can be easily checked in retrospect so it would be very foolish for any team to breach the rules. The penalties are likely to be severe.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We are so far away from being strong enough for the European Cup, that it makes no difference if we are in it next year or not, for me beating Saints will be the perfect result and I would be working to that game, we can lose the match on the score board as long we beat the hell out of them, teams have got to start fearing the Tigers and coming to Welford Road again.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Very exciting backline, think Simmons needs to move away from scrumhalf, could make a very good option on the left wing, always had some natural ability.

Very happy to see Sam Lewis on the bench, my understanding is that he has been unwell, but let’s not forget he has a bit of Croft about him and under Borthwick’s coaching could be very special. Seems to be the sort of 6 he’s looking for too.