Midweek Game - Wed 09 Sep Away to Wasps

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Midweek Game - Wed 09 Sep Away to Wasps

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Hardly a new thought this but how, with an almost completely new set of players and a new coach, do we STILL have no plan in attack other than kick it too far or pass it too wide too quickly. Every single time. Ah well what can we do, somebody wake me up for the Castre game.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:25 pm
jgriffin wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:20 pm Personally I'm laughing at the moaners.
These are dead games! SB has been given a golden opportunity to find out about his players and his coaches (and I expect a small turnover in the next few months). If by next Easter we see no improvement, then moan. I really think none on here have been in a team trying to rebuild, even allowing for the three or four fulltime moaners. I do spend less and less time reading the dross - I mean, still going on about the hotel?? - and more paying attention to the 3 or 4 forum users who appear to have knowledge.
:smt037 :smt037 :smt037 :smt037
Well said :smt023 it was always going to be at least a 2 year fix rather than overnight miracles. Big picture.. if we are mid table or higher come Easter who will even remember these matches?
Exactly, but the « quick fix merchants » will always insist on making their doom and gloom comments. Ok, so the results are disappointing but let’s show a modicum of patience and wait until next season when we won’t have to play so many games in so little time. There should then be a more or less settled first team squad with a sprinkling of the younger players who have come through this tough period with their reputations enhanced.
Semper in excretia
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Over the last couple of seasons Tigers have disintegrated. We didn't have a ‘team’. It got up and walked off, even with our strongest players on the field; we gave up.

Borthwick arrived on July 1st (that's just 51 weekdays ago) but didn’t inherit an established playing squad or coaching team: Thompstone, Viljoen, Thomas, Polota-Nau, Cortes, Kalamafoni, Spencer, Thompson, May, Holmes, Veainu, Bateman, Tuilagi, Eastmond, Reid, plus eight squad having left. The Tigers first time tonight might reasonably have included Bateman, Kalamafoni, Spencer, Thompson, Tuilagi, May, Holmes, Veainu, Incoming players have arrived in dribs and drabs. Mamukashvili, Brink, Van Wyk, Murimurivalu, Moroni & Wiese haven’t even trained. Throughout this time all coaching has taken place under covid restrictions. Yet on16th August Tigers have played two matches a week. No other club in the premiership has faced anything like the same chaos.

Tonight, we fielded an inexperienced 'team'. Given the above I am not sure why would we expect anything more.

We might not like it, but the fact is that we are building from scratch. Borthwick has taken the view that he needs to use these games to understand his squad as individuals and to build some experience with the younger players. I wish it wasn’t the case, but I it is. We were rotten to the core, but my hope / hunch is that tonight might have been our darkest hour.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Also it’s worth pointing out that a young Saints side got thrashed 47-10 yesterday by Bristol so not too dissimilar to today’s result. Lots of mismatches on paper due to the quick succession of games leading to A teams vs B teams. We are low on confidence, in a massive transitional period and always seem to come up against A teams so it’s not going to be an easy ride. Thankfully they are effectively only pre-season matches with no threat of relegation.

This time next year Rodney.. :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Traveller wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:49 pm Over the last couple of seasons Tigers have disintegrated. We didn't have a ‘team’. It got up and walked off, even with our strongest players on the field; we gave up.

Borthwick arrived on July 1st (that's just 51 weekdays ago) but didn’t inherit an established playing squad or coaching team: Thompstone, Viljoen, Thomas, Polota-Nau, Cortes, Kalamafoni, Spencer, Thompson, May, Holmes, Veainu, Bateman, Tuilagi, Eastmond, Reid, plus eight squad having left. The Tigers first time tonight might reasonably have included Bateman, Kalamafoni, Spencer, Thompson, Tuilagi, May, Holmes, Veainu, Incoming players have arrived in dribs and drabs. Mamukashvili, Brink, Van Wyk, Murimurivalu, Moroni & Wiese haven’t even trained. Throughout this time all coaching has taken place under covid restrictions. Yet on16th August Tigers have played two matches a week. No other club in the premiership has faced anything like the same chaos.

Tonight, we fielded an inexperienced 'team'. Given the above I am not sure why would we expect anything more.

We might not like it, but the fact is that we are building from scratch. Borthwick has taken the view that he needs to use these games to understand his squad as individuals and to build some experience with the younger players. I wish it wasn’t the case, but I it is. We were rotten to the core, but my hope / hunch is that tonight might have been our darkest hour.
Agreed :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Truefollower wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:03 pm All you moaners wait till next season, all players available therefore game plan can be worked on, AND the squad will not be knackered from 9 pointless pre-season type games. The younger squad players will learn and some players may fall by the wayside. Let's all stay positive and wait till the squad is finalised.
Scott 1 change the song!
Look at our squad and for the sake of argument they were all England qualified.

How many would be anywhere near the England squad? Genge, Ford and B Youngs.

How many would be on the shopping list of top half of the table sides when their contracts come up. Add Lavaninni, Taufua, Cole, Lady Gaga and Refell to the above. And not all would be starters.

How many would start for other Premiership sides? Not too many.
Louis

Post by Louis »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:20 pm Personally I'm laughing at the moaners.
These are dead games! SB has been given a golden opportunity to find out about his players and his coaches (and I expect a small turnover in the next few months). If by next Easter we see no improvement, then moan. I really think none on here have been in a team trying to rebuild, even allowing for the three or four fulltime moaners. I do spend less and less time reading the dross - I mean, still going on about the hotel?? - and more paying attention to the 3 or 4 forum users who appear to have knowledge.
:smt037 :smt037 :smt037 :smt037
I'm with you, but I still really want that hotel...
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Traveller wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:49 pm Over the last couple of seasons Tigers have disintegrated. We didn't have a ‘team’. It got up and walked off, even with our strongest players on the field; we gave up.

+1
As Good As It Gets
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

mol2 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:57 pm
Truefollower wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:03 pm All you moaners wait till next season, all players available therefore game plan can be worked on, AND the squad will not be knackered from 9 pointless pre-season type games. The younger squad players will learn and some players may fall by the wayside. Let's all stay positive and wait till the squad is finalised.
Scott 1 change the song!
Look at our squad and for the sake of argument they were all England qualified.

How many would be anywhere near the England squad? Genge, Ford and B Youngs.

How many would be on the shopping list of top half of the table sides when their contracts come up. Add Lavaninni, Taufua, Cole, Lady Gaga and Refell to the above. And not all would be starters.

How many would start for other Premiership sides? Not too many.
Been very impressed by Henry and Lewis looks like a great prospect. Nadolo will be an asset I’m sure.. Add in the fact that Mamu, Brink, Wiese, Moroni, Van Wyk and Muri haven’t even played yet and I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom.. 6 new signings still not played yet so let’s see how things look when we actually have a full squad
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I never have accepted losing, especially heavily, to any team.
Now the Saints’ game is huge.
As I supporter both home and away, as usual I was bitterly disappointed by the defeat, felt like throwing all my Tigers’ shirts away, THEN wanted to get down to Welford Road V Saints to roar “Tigers’” all match to back the team.
I’d make the whole squad sit down, look at the score and simply state:
“ Right, that’s the last time any club does that to us again. I want one hell of a reaction v Saints and for the remainder of the season. Do all of yourselves proud.
Win. “
Lastly, stop kicking the ball away. Mindless to not let the team attack and get some
fun into their play.
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

Positives for me were Henderson and Henry. Think Henderson is going to develop into a great lock for the future.
First 10 minutes I thought they were brilliant. I'm not sure what to say after that. I see the need to play all the squad and mix the age groups up as there are no development matches at the moment but I fear for their mental health. It must be so demoralising to play your heart out but to continually lose.

Lewis was brought off the bench too late and put out of position. The subs should have all come on between 50-55 so all of them could make an impact. I hope to goodness there is a plan for next season otherwise we are going to be in trouble.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Very honest post match chat with Ellis
As Good As It Gets
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

All of the optimism is, as far as I can tell, based on the assumption that we’ll be a completely different looking side next season.

Next season is about 10 weeks away.

So, optimists, amidst these hidings we’re getting every time we step on the pitch, what is it that you’ve seen so far to give you confidence that we’re going to turn this around?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:28 pm All of the optimism is, as far as I can tell, based on the assumption that we’ll be a completely different looking side next season.

Next season is about 10 weeks away.

So, optimists, amidst these hidings we’re getting every time we step on the pitch, what is it that you’ve seen so far to give you confidence that we’re going to turn this around?
Today was a mismatch. A well drilled high flying Wasps team vs. an under confident Tigers B team. Ignoring today I think there is a lot to be optimistic about.

There’s been a new found desire and some great character shown since the restart and although the results haven’t perhaps suggested that I’m trying to look at the bigger picture; preparing for next season!

The lineout - after some of the atrocious lineouts we were subjected to pre-COVID, SB is already working his magic and our lineout stats have been very impressive up until today.

The scrum - Boris continues to work his magic and with the likes of Mamu, Wiese and Brink still to feature it’s looking good. The back 3 of Liebenberg Reffell and Taufua seems to be perfectly balanced and with the additions above our scrum should give us a great platform.

The breakdown - Reffell, Taufua, Liebenberg, Wallace.. even Nadolo getting in on the act! This has been a particularly strong area these last few games and hopefully one that will only continue to improve.

Our fitness has been very impressive too!

Given how poor we have been for the majority of these last 2 seasons I’m pleased by some of the small steps we are taking in the right direction.

Oh and the fact that we still have Mamu, Wiese, Brink, Moroni, Van Wyk and Muri still to feature! That’s 6 players that will all likely push for a starting place or at least a spot in the match day 23.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=Tiglon post_id=751765 time=1599675424 user_id=9329]
[quote=MurphysLaw post_id=751752 time=1599674932 user_id=3365]
I can't wait to hear some of 'the learnings and positives' taken from this game.
Genge shaking his head when he got to the bench speaks volumes. :smt009
[/quote]

Genge had a poor match, if he's shaking his head at anything it needs to be his own performance.
[/quote]
Well it clearly didn't go to plan, and not that he is using it as an excuse, but his first child was due today.
Here's what he said after the game... https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/pm ... 1920-genge