Midweek Game - Wed 09 Sep Away to Wasps

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Midweek Game - Wed 09 Sep Away to Wasps

Post by Chobbsy »

Noggs wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:33 am I believe it has been stated in the past that SB has the responsibility of team selection and I can't see him having taken the job without having such control. That said I am equally sure that he will seek feedback and comment from others in the back room team including Smurf before reaching his decisions.

All of this has to be viewed as a project of revival and we can expect to see games like yesterday when, in parts, we were poor. There is a lot of mitigation as SB is no doubt testing the young players to sort the wheat from the chaff as he builds his side for the future. As others have stated the team put out against Wasps has little resemblance to the team we hope to be able to field next season so lets allow SB and his merry band of helpers to get on with the job of building our future success. :smt023
Were we as bad as we sounded in Ellis's post match interview on LTTV?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:19 pm
Noggs wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:33 am I believe it has been stated in the past that SB has the responsibility of team selection and I can't see him having taken the job without having such control. That said I am equally sure that he will seek feedback and comment from others in the back room team including Smurf before reaching his decisions.

All of this has to be viewed as a project of revival and we can expect to see games like yesterday when, in parts, we were poor. There is a lot of mitigation as SB is no doubt testing the young players to sort the wheat from the chaff as he builds his side for the future. As others have stated the team put out against Wasps has little resemblance to the team we hope to be able to field next season so lets allow SB and his merry band of helpers to get on with the job of building our future success. :smt023
Were we as bad as we sounded in Ellis's post match interview on LTTV?
Yes we were. Ellis wasnt lying.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:36 am
"Team selection is my remit; it will continue to be my remit," Murphy told BBC Radio Leicester.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51190532
https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ev ... ection-day

Also Murphy said in the lockdown interviews that Borthwick would have final say on selections.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:29 pm
"Team selection is my remit; it will continue to be my remit," Murphy told BBC Radio Leicester.
https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ev ... ection-day

Also Murphy said in the lockdown interviews that Borthwick would have final say on selections.
That was my recollection
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Just because something is within someone's remit doesn't mean thry do it. My entire job role is within my bosses remit, but I do it. It just means as Director of Rugby he takes responsibility and signs off on it.

What I imagine takes place (and I have no inside knowledge so it is entirely opinion)

-GM&SB discuss the selection strategy, i.e. which team's we want strongest XV for etc.
-SB picks team based on agreed selection strategy & submits proposed team to GM
-GM either agrees with it. OR comes back with a question such as would X be better than Y here or what's the thinking about Z.
- SB & GM discuss and explain points of view, SB then makes final team selection based on any discussion which may result in changes or retaining the draft.
-GM signs off as happy. Only in extreme circumstances I would expect SB to be overrule rather than have a discussion about it. In those extreme circumstances I would expect a resignation of one or other to follow soon after.

Obviously that's an oversimplification as all coaches, physios etc have input.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

My only worry is that G.M. is still a big presence at the club. Great player though he was, he appears to have a nagative affect on the team somehow. I would feel happier if we were to shake by the hand and say cheerio. Am I looking for a scapegoat? Perhaps.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

My only worry is that G.M. is still a big presence at the club. Great player though he was, he appears to have a nagative affect on the team somehow.
Is this the same GM that has overseen getting a new head coach, backs coach, and fitness whatever he is. As well as overseeing the contract changes to all existing players under very strange circumstances and then bringing in a raft of new talent, some of which we are yet actually see on the pitch yet?

Is that the negative affect you are talking about?

It's been :censored: for ages, we're trying to do something about it. let them get on with it!!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Tigers have fielded teams with mixed experience. Partnerships/pairings and differing roles.
I have to congratulate the learning experience. The coaches will be in a better position, because of this time, going forward.
Yes It does nothing for youngsters mindest to get a mauling. In recent game we have been( on paper) outgunned by players cemented in International experience.
Warps are challenging the top table. They fielded the most experience team available.
And we are bemoaning the result.
How do advance if you don't learn from your mistakes? I do not like to see Tigers used as cannon fodder to temper us in the heat of the fire.
If our coaches have not an idea who the 1st and 2nd XV are for next season then I will be shouting the loudest for a pound of flesh.
I trust they know what they are doing. Will we see any changes of personnel by SB ?
Derby day - I for one would like to see something like most available 1st XV. but who knows?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought Leicester had a good start in this game but as the game broke up the rigid selections were exposed.
For me yesterday's selection was a mistake and especially against a side like Wasps.
Not a genuine open side amongst the entire 23 wasn't a good plan in my opinion.
A lack of intensity and general mobility was exposed later on and the backs were also exposed but we're always going to be given how rampant Wasps were.
I thought some of the players were hung out to dry a bit.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I applaud those folks who think that that after 5 season of terminal decline, finishing 11th last season and now only saved from relegation by Saracens transgressions, that Tigers still need somehow need to continue to learn from mistakes and defeats :smt017

Its as if upto now we have not been making any :smt017
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BFG wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:13 pm I thought Leicester had a good start in this game but as the game broke up the rigid selections were exposed.
For me yesterday's selection was a mistake and especially against a side like Wasps.
Not a genuine open side amongst the entire 23 wasn't a good plan in my opinion.
A lack of intensity and general mobility was exposed later on and the backs were also exposed but we're always going to be given how rampant Wasps were.
I thought some of the players were hung out to dry a bit.
Very true but who is available?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sapajo wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:15 pm I applaud those folks who think that that after 5 season of terminal decline, finishing 11th last season and now only saved from relegation by Saracens transgressions, that Tigers still need somehow need to continue to learn from mistakes and defeats :smt017

Most of the people involved over the last 5 years have left, have they not?

It's hard for Borthwick to have already learnt everything he needs to know about his players prior to July this year when neither he nor many of them were at the club before that.

It would be great to learn from wins instead, but I'm not aware of any instant fix. Perhaps you know better?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:32 pm
sapajo wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:15 pm I applaud those folks who think that that after 5 season of terminal decline, finishing 11th last season and now only saved from relegation by Saracens transgressions, that Tigers still need somehow need to continue to learn from mistakes and defeats :smt017

It's hard for Borthwick to have already learnt everything he needs to know about his players prior to July this year when neither he nor many of them were at the club before that.

It would be great to learn from wins instead, but I'm not aware of any instant fix. Perhaps you know better?

Unlike the coaches and players I am not paid to know better
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

sapajo wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:36 pm

Yet you seem to know their job well enough to give them a good panning...

Of course some lessons can be learnt from the ineptitude of the past few seasons but that is completely different to the new and young players learning how to play together, I.e. from their own experiences. Likewise with the coaches.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sapajo wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:36 pm

I don't think they are paid to make Tigers instantly the best team in the country. I would hazard a guess that they are being paid to implement a long term turnaround and it's a little early to judge them on that.