Zack Henry

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Zack Henry

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Interested what others think about Zack Henry to date?

To me, though early days he seems to me a great find. Very much the “diamond in the rough” who seems to have benefitted from a hard route and taken his opportunities to show glimpses of significant potential. He makes a few wrong decisions, but they all seem to be more the mistakes of inexperience in the Prem coupled with the fact he’s being put in multiple positions, in a period of experimentation, rather than any flaws in his game. And he has exactly the right mentors around him, including finally a coaching team that will improve players.

But what puts him as a potential diamond is that element of, dare I say, French style flair and unpredictability that makes him so far exciting to watch. For example, his move against Glaws that led to the Potter try was a thing of beauty.

Can’t decide who he reminds me of?

What do others think? Am I blowing hot air, is he a star find or is it simply too early to tell?
Last edited by aslongaswebeatsaints on Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Zack Henry

Post by Robespierre »

He was an outstanding player for the ProD2 side Nevers and has shown a lot of promise from what we’ve seen of him for Tigers. His preferred position is clearly fly half and he’ll be a more than adequate deputy for George Ford.
Semper in excretia
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

An excellent signing and given no one had heard of him before he was rumoured to have already signed it has Jan McGinity written all over it.

Tigers have been desperate for a backup to Ford that can play flat and put the outside backs into space. Henry looks like just that when he's at first receiver with good backs outside him. His excellent footwork and ability to cover fullback are a welcome bonus but his skill as a playmaker and tactical kicker are the more important addition in my opinion.

The one downside if I'm being pedantic is his goal kicking looking shaky. With Nadolo and Hardwick as goal kicking options elsewhere in the back line that shouldn't be too big an issue though. Freddie Steward also has a big boot and has kicked goals before.

Overall he has been one of biggest positives since the restart alongside the lineout improvements, impressive performances from the development squad second rows and Luke Wallace looking like a season in Championship has allowed his body to recover enough to be back at his pre-injury best.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Oh he’s definitely a great talent, that’s undeniable. Has something special and can make things happen on the pitch, although see him as a 10 who can cover 15 in emergencies. Wouldn’t want him at 15 against say Exeter.

Not just him though, we’ve made some other very good signings. Wallace is a proper 7 who still looks to have some pace. Henderson is only 20 but can already mix it in the premiership, him and Martin could be a great pairing in a few years.
HandOfBack
Tiger Cub

Post by HandOfBack »

I think you are right, and would argue he is one of the best signings. Really looking forward to Ford 10 & Henry 12 being interchangable aswell. Not quite the formidable Wilkinson and Giteau, however, if they get enough game time together, we could have a really enjoyable season next year with lots of the "French flair".

I don't think 15 is the best position to have him in, even though he does seem to have dancing feet.

On the front foot, one of the most dangerous players I have seen since the restart and really looking forward to seeing him play in a Tigers shirt for a long time.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Maybe it's because of the fact I was a back, but Henry & Steward have been my stand out young performers who's stock has improved. Well Martin too.

Henry is both lucky and unlucky that Ford is a tough guy to displace. That said he's the perfect guy to learn from!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Not sure I would want a Ford/Henry 10/12 through choice, they would get targeted, still waiting to see what sort of 12 Ford does want outside him.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

There is nothing scientific in my opinion, but I just have a gut feeling this lad is going to do great things.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

There is the French flair about him, and whilst I prefer the Henri pronunciation of his surname to the English one, posters please remember that Zack is from Brighton!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Latent talent , and plays with refreshing freedom ; good potential.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

It will be interesting to see him in a match that requires game management from the 10. So far he's had the freedom of chasing lost causes so can play with little pressure and risk a few things.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Zack has been the main bright light since restart, I'm a fan of Freddie Steward at 15 but I would also like to see Zack get some game time there with George Ford at 10
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

There's a lot more to come from this young gun and as already said he will learn a lot from Ford.

I have been impressed by a number of the 'second' team who look well capable of competing for selection in the first tier. However, until all the new arrivals are available and have had some game time I suspect SB will wish to keep his options open. Competition for places can only be a good thing and at the moment we look as if we will have far greater depth of cover than we've had for a couple of years.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Don't forget that Henry is 26 in a couple of weeks, he's been playing professional rugby for years.

He reminds me a bit of Michalak. In my opinion he's looked best at 10, I'm not sure his positional play or tackling is good enough for 15. I wouldn't be against him having another run out at 15, but he looks like a 10 to me. Personally I'm just delighted that we have a talented backup 10 for the first time since George Ford was our backup 10.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I agree with Tiglon, Zak is a decent deputy for Ford, he is able to play other positions if called upon but I think his main job is to understudy our international 10. We have a new signing, a very promising young player and a couple of others able to take the fullback role.