Remaining fixtures

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by Robespierre »

If Castres send a full-strength team, they’ll be a tough nut to crack, and I don’t fancy Tigers’ chances.
Semper in excretia
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Scuttle wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:07 am
Dokie wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:01 am I read the winner of the Challenge Cup will replace the 8th placed team from their own league if they haven’t already qualified.
That is what a few on here seem to have suggested which is why I was surprised. For some reason it doesnt appear to apply to the Prem
It absolutely does apply to the Premiership. Having looked on the official website, it is very clear that the winner of the Challenge Cup qualifies for the Champions Cup if they aren’t already in the top 8.

HEINEKEN CHAMPIONS CUP
Twenty-four clubs will qualify automatically for the 2020/21 Heineken Champions Cup as follows:

Guinness PRO14 (8): The four highest-ranked clubs from each conference. NB South African clubs are not eligible.
TOP 14 (8): The eight highest-ranked clubs based on their final finishing positions.
Gallagher Premiership Rugby (8): The eight highest-ranked clubs based on their final finishing positions.
If not already ranked No 1, the 2020 Heineken Champions Cup winners will qualify as the 2nd ranked club from its league.

If not already qualified, the 2020 Challenge Cup winners will take the place of the 8th ranked club from its league.

https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/ ... ification/
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The games we have remaining are those that I think the coaching team will have hoped to put a "W" against, along with the Irish match.

Castres are strong, but they only will have had 2 games since the resumption of play so Tigers have an advantage there. A huge challenge regardless.

I expect wins against Saints and Quins, but it isn't the end of the world if it doesn't go that way. I will be very disappointed if we don't at least make them both very close matches.

All that said, none of it is really important, other than in preparing for next season. I don't mind whether we get into the Champions Cup or not, it's not as though we would be competitive and next season is all about improving our league position.
Mayocaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Mayocaz »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:16 pm The games we have remaining are those that I think the coaching team will have hoped to put a "W" against, along with the Irish match.

Castres are strong, but they only will have had 2 games since the resumption of play so Tigers have an advantage there. A huge challenge regardless.

I expect wins against Saints and Quins, but it isn't the end of the world if it doesn't go that way. I will be very disappointed if we don't at least make them both very close matches.

All that said, none of it is really important, other than in preparing for next season. I don't mind whether we get into the Champions Cup or not, it's not as though we would be competitive and next season is all about improving our league position.
I agree we probably are nowhere near being competitive in the Champions Cup but if we were to beat Castres, Toulon and say Bristol in a final then I’d say we might be changing our opinions. :smt001
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Mayocaz wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:41 pm
Tiglon wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:16 pm The games we have remaining are those that I think the coaching team will have hoped to put a "W" against, along with the Irish match.

I agree we probably are nowhere near being competitive in the Champions Cup but if we were to beat Castres, Toulon and say Bristol in a final then I’d say we might be changing our opinions. :smt001
Agreed, and if we win all our league games next season I'll probably change my opinion on whether we're the best team in England. Neither are very likely though.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

There are four teams with a chance of joining Exeter in the play-offs, I wonder who’ll miss out? I wouldn’t shed many tears if it were to be Bristol. Thoughts?
Semper in excretia
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:55 pm There are four teams with a chance of joining Exeter in the play-offs, I wonder who’ll miss out? I wouldn’t shed many tears if it were to be Bristol. Thoughts?
As much as I dislike squiderugby he's right that the world doesn't feel right with Sale above 6th...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Bristol’s last two games are home to Tigers and away to Irish. Could’ve been more testing, eh?
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Crofty wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:57 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:55 pm There are four teams with a chance of joining Exeter in the play-offs, I wonder who’ll miss out? I wouldn’t shed many tears if it were to be Bristol. Thoughts?
As much as I dislike squiderugby he's right that the world doesn't feel right with Sale above 6th...
This is a bit off-piste but why don't you like Squidge Rugby, admittedly I'm not his biggest fan but I still enjoy his twitter and videos.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

JP14 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:42 am
Crofty wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:57 pm
This is a bit off-piste but why don't you like Squidge Rugby, admittedly I'm not his biggest fan but I still enjoy his twitter and videos.
Just something about him irritates me at an almost sub-atomic level. Nothing logical really, best guess is that living near the Welsh border for a few years has made me allergic to the smug Welshman act, but it's more that just that...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

non possumus capere
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Fair enough, his comical obsession of Alun Wyn Jones undermines him somewhat in my view. He also doesn't like Tigers at all.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

JP14 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:00 am Fair enough, his comical obsession of Alun Wyn Jones undermines him somewhat in my view. He also doesn't like Tigers at all.
That and his similar distain for England do play a part, but it's more than just those...
No, not that one!

non possumus capere