Champions Cup format for 2020/21 announced

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Champions Cup format for 2020/21 announced

Post by ourla »

24-teams - the top eight sides from the three main European leagues.

Two pools of 12. each club will have a reduced number of four pool games – two home and two away – against opponents drawn solely from rival leagues.

Top 4 from each pool go to a home and away QF round. Then semi's at a neutral venue.

Final in Marseille on 22 May 2021.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Champions Cup format for 2020/21 announced

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

The fact that 8th place in this years league is now interesting, more teams will be trying right to the end of the year.

Also makes not being able to complete the comeback vs Glaws annoying as we'd have been in the mix fo 8th with a win, and Glaws loss.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Might have put a slightly different slant on this season if we'd have known about the 8th position earlier, but we were still probably too far away in reality.

Could give a bit of added impetus if the coaches want to use it on the final run in though.
Last edited by ads on Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

winning the challenge cup will give us the 8th place spot
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Now SB will have to target 8th place.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

We're 12 points from 8th with 5 games to go. There is no chance us getting that.

And without wishing to be doom mongerish I can't see us winning the Challenge Cup.

But tbh we're starting from ground zero and not getting in is probably no big loss in the circs.

It's a Covid forced shake up so will be interesting to see what they do the year after.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

ourla wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:21 pm We're 12 points from 8th with 5 games to go. There is no chance us getting that.

And without wishing to be doom mongerish I can't see us winning the Challenge Cup.
Neither can I. IF we get past Castres, the likes of Toulon, Bordeaux, Bristol will be likely opponents, and they’re at another level. This is rebuilding time so no pie in the sky expectations, please.
Semper in excretia
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Toulon and Bordeaux are already qualified from the Top 14. Same for Edinburgh, Dragons and Scarlets from the Pro 14. Plus Bristol from the Premiership. That leaves Tigers and Castres with much to play for in the Challenge Cup this season.

1.Genge 2.Youngs 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Wells 6.Liebenberg 7.Reffell 8.Taufua
9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Porter 14.Murimurivalu 15.Steward

16.Clare 17.Gigena 18.Leatigaga 19.Green 20.Wallace 21.White 22.Henry 23.Taute

That side should be able to push Castres in the QF. From there Tigers should have a decent chance given the stronger teams may not put out first choice. Particularly Bristol and Edinburgh who will be targeting domestic playoffs.

From a financial standpoint Champions Cup qualification would help. From a playing perspective it wouldn't though in my opinion. Tigers are just starting to rebuild, don't need to get grouped with Leinster or Racing so we can ship 50 points a couple of times next season.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

ABClub wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:09 pm Toulon and Bordeaux are already qualified from the Top 14. Same for Edinburgh, Dragons and Scarlets from the Pro 14. Plus Bristol from the Premiership. That leaves Tigers and Castres with much to play for in the Challenge Cup this season.
Correct, but these sides are nonetheless formidable opponents and would be firm favourites against Tigers.
Maybe you're saying that as the above sides have already qualified for Champions' Cup rugby next season then the winner of Tigers v Castres would also qualify? I'm not at all sure of the criteria for qualification so any clarification would be appreciated :smt001
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I see it’s a return to the old system of people failing to qualify in the pool stages to play in the Challenge Cup knockouts.

However I like the omission of domestic teams playing each other in the initial rounds.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:11 pm
ABClub wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:09 pm Toulon and Bordeaux are already qualified from the Top 14. Same for Edinburgh, Dragons and Scarlets from the Pro 14. Plus Bristol from the Premiership. That leaves Tigers and Castres with much to play for in the Challenge Cup this season.
Correct, but these sides are nonetheless formidable opponents and would be firm favourites against Tigers.
Maybe you're saying that as the above sides have already qualified for Champions' Cup rugby next season then the winner of Tigers v Castres would also qualify? I'm not at all sure of the criteria for qualification so any clarification would be appreciated :smt001
Nope Tigers would need to win the Challenge Cup to qualify. I'm more suggesting that some of those sides might not field full strength given they have already qualified though.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

ABClub wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:20 pm
Robespierre wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:11 pm
Nope Tigers would need to win the Challenge Cup to qualify. I'm more suggesting that some of those sides might not field full strength given they have already qualified though.
Thanks, ABC!
Semper in excretia
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Realistically another year in the Challenge Cup is as good as it is likely to get but next season we may have a team capable of winning it :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

A bit more clarification from Simon Halliday on Rugby Tonight on Tour.

The 8 qualifiers from each league will be split into 4 tiers. Tier 1 teams will play Tier 4 teams, and Tier 2 v Tier 3. So if Tigers did qualify in 8th, looks like they'd get the top 2 Pro14 and Top14 teams as our 4 games. I doubt that that would be very fruitful for long term team development. However, if we manage to get to 8th from our current position, we might not concede a cricket score in all 4 games.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Not being one to shy away, I'd like to think Tigers will give the cup game a " proper go" and let's see what happens, next season is a fair way away(whenever it starts)
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.