Uncontested scrums

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Uncontested scrums

Post by mol2 »

I can understand that it would be potentially dangerous for a hooker to play at prop,
There is a case for a loose head not covering tight head as you are effectively trapped in the scrum. However until he laws were changed you only had one bench prop who was expected to cover both sides. (Jason Leonard in the RWC for example). Perhaps that generation has gone.

Less convinced that a prop could not play hooker safely. May not be effective at hooking, throwing or in the loose but there is little hooking going on these days.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Having played all positions in the front row , in my day, for over 30 years I think it is easier to interchange Tight Head and hooker than it is to interchange either Hooker and Tight Head with Loose Head. I started at hooker and moved to TH as I got heavier. I always had no problem moving back to Hooker, in fact I think playing Prop made me a better hooker, partly because I was bigger and stronger but also I had more idea how to negate the Tight Heads actions.
However Loose Head was a different proposition. I have played there on several occasions but find it much more difficult. A loose head not only needs a powerful leg drive and strength in the upper body but a very strong back and that’s why I think it causes so many problems switching there. I have the utmost respect for those who can make the TH to LH switch at the highest level. There are very few of the Fran Cotton, Jason Leonard, Castrogiovani types that can manage that trick.
Interestingly I think that the hookers and props that have been interchangeable at the higher level have generally been TH and hooker, with the notable exception of Greg Bateman.
Mendez was one I remember could change from TH to hooker and I think the French have had a few over time.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The fact that can Leatigaga can aptly play on both sides is testament to his ability, what a signing he has turned out to be.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

even if he had passed the defence was set and it would have been a gamble as to whether the outside player would have scored. we will never know now but hopefully if we are ever in a similar situation we will have a ref who applies the laws properly.