Tigers vs Sale - 05 Sep 20

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Sale - 05 Sep 20

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Dokie wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:47 pm Having a second distributor at 12 might open up our attacking game more and Scott at 13 seems the best option in shutting down Manu. I'm a firm believer in getting our best players on the pitch and when seeing if the Ford/Henry partnership works (also a right/left foot kicking combination), there's not much game time left to try it before Castres. If we don't try it against Sale, it only really leaves the Saints game.
Manu has been playing at 12 for Sale
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Dokie wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:18 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:16 pm Centre will be a big call, stick with Taute or give Porter a shot against the big boys? Taute has been solid in defence; against Sale you’ll want a very solid pairing given who they could select at 12/13.

I think Wallace probably tips onto the bench for me if it’s a standard 5:3 split. If we go 6:2 then you’ve a bit more flex, particularly given the style of 6 we’ve been choosing.
Porter and Potter both need to improve their defence before being considered for the "1st team".
Agreed on that point, but you could easily say the same about Taute. I'd be keen to give Porter a shot - Taute has had plenty and hasn't performed.
AshbyTiger

Post by AshbyTiger »

Regarding Lavinini, I didn’t feel like he stood out yesterday while watching the game but his stats were:
2 passes
3 runs
3 metres ran
1 offload

1 turnover conceded
12 tackles (2nd highest on team after Smith with 13)
1 missed tackle
0 penalties conceded.

The above obviously neglects how many clear outs / line out takes / scrums he participated in.

Based on stats a good shift.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Dokie wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:18 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:16 pm Centre will be a big call, stick with Taute or give Porter a shot against the big boys? Taute has been solid in defence; against Sale you’ll want a very solid pairing given who they could select at 12/13.

I think Wallace probably tips onto the bench for me if it’s a standard 5:3 split. If we go 6:2 then you’ve a bit more flex, particularly given the style of 6 we’ve been choosing.
Porter and Potter both need to improve their defence before being considered for the "1st team".
You’re probably not wrong. Maybe why we’ve seen Williams starting too.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:10 pm Being 6”8 probably helps the refs spot him too...
We all wanted a hard edge Jono style lock. An enforcer, we have one and I am looking forward to seeing him tearing it up.
I don't know why people keep on about "an enforcer". Certainly, there were such (I suspect SB's nose wasn't always that shape) but nowadays a red card would instantly ensue. Perhaps our younger viewers have a different idea of what enforcement meant.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:24 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:10 pm Being 6”8 probably helps the refs spot him too...
We all wanted a hard edge Jono style lock. An enforcer, we have one and I am looking forward to seeing him tearing it up.
I don't know why people keep on about "an enforcer". Certainly, there were such (I suspect SB's nose wasn't always that shape) but nowadays a red card would instantly ensue. Perhaps our younger viewers have a different idea of what enforcement meant.
You're right, I think Victor Matlock and his buddy whose name escapes me were the last of the 2nd row enforcers. You can't get away with it these days. What you need now are smart locks who know how to play the ref and the opposition.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Bakkies Botha,a proper enforcer. He would be permanently banned playing today!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:37 pm Bakkies Botha,a proper enforcer. He would be permanently banned playing today!
As would Johno, Deano, Julian White to name just 3.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

You can still have an enforcer, they just have to be a lot more clever about it...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:56 am I would go Genge, Youngs, Cole, Wells, Green, Liebenberg , Taufua, Reffell, Youngs Ford Nemani, Henry, Scott, Potter, Steward. Gigena, Clare, Leatigiga, Lavanini, Wallace, White, Potter, Porter.
You have Potter down twice, starting and on the bench. Could be interesting. :smt005
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:09 pm
ay2oh wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:56 am I would go Genge, Youngs, Cole, Wells, Green, Liebenberg , Taufua, Reffell, Youngs Ford Nemani, Henry, Scott, Potter, Steward. Gigena, Clare, Leatigiga, Lavanini, Wallace, White, Potter, Porter.
You have Potter down twice, starting and on the bench. Could be interesting. :smt005
well he is magical
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:50 pm
Dokie wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:47 pm Having a second distributor at 12 might open up our attacking game more and Scott at 13 seems the best option in shutting down Manu. I'm a firm believer in getting our best players on the pitch and when seeing if the Ford/Henry partnership works (also a right/left foot kicking combination), there's not much game time left to try it before Castres. If we don't try it against Sale, it only really leaves the Saints game.
Manu has been playing at 12 for Sale
He played 13 when paired with Hill and 12 with James.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:24 pm
Thanks, I haven’t been called young in a good few years!!
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Duncan B wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:49 pm I really think Lavanini has been quite poor. Agree Steward deserves the start at 15.
Did you see Lavanini against Glouscester? I thought previous to that match that he didn't appear to want to be at Tigers, however his performance against Glouscester really changed my mind
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Really hoping for a stronger (on paper) side and a strong showing Vs Sale.Home advantage and matches should still be a target...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....