Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Sale - 05 Sep 20

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

MCC1964 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:35 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:33 pm What are people’s opinions on Wallace’s injury, should Curry have been cited?
Nah. Accidental clash of heads. Interesting though he didn’t go off until much later.......unless I missed something.
He went off for something else later, no HIA for him
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

What is clear to me after today is that you cannot play under the new interpretations without an out and out 7. After Wallace was headbutted out of the game ( :smt003 ) we never threatened their breakdown , until Ladygaga came on and as a result we didn’t win the ruck penalties that give you field position.
I think that Taufau , as good a player as he undoubtedly is , has not been as effective at the breakdown post lockdown and new law interpretations.
For me its Taufau at 6 , Wallace/Reffel at 7 and Hanro at 8.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Not a good day for Eddie Jones: Curry injured, Farrell cited, then Youngs and Ford have a shocker!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Nephi Leatigaga Newcomer of the Year? In my mind absolutely yes.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

POSTIGER wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:54 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:49 pm I may be blinkered but all I see are positives in the context that while Sale are a very good powerful team and title contender with a complete game (Their FH is wonderful to watch), we are only a few games into recovery from a 5 year Malaise . SB is building the game from ground up (Quite literally the bottom of the league) and key players that are going to put us in an even better position have just arrived or haven’t yet arrived. If your the sort of person who wants to blame someone it may be worth aiming it at those who are no longer with us. MOC is a good start but he’s not the only one.

In this context, it’s pretty obvious in these first few games what SB and the coaches have instilled so far. Technically a better defence and set piece, particularly the line out. Physically better strength and conditioning. We clearly haven’t yet got to the stage of fancy attack combinations yet but we will. In golf terms we’re not yet playing with a full set of clubs while we rebuild our swing. But with each game we are adding a club and hitting the ball straight more consistently. No fancy shots yet.

More importantly, what I am seeing as a fan is a new (some would say a return to a previous) culture of grittyness, determination and hardness, and a squad where everyone from veteran to youngster wants to put their hand up. Sale may have beaten us because they are in a different place, but we once again never dropped our heads, dug in and fought back through old fashion hard work, and once more had more physical endurance at the end. Sale’s forwards will know they’ve been in a battle. As with Glaws we could have even won it - add on the fancy bits and the players having more time together and I only see this being the case. I call it one thing that’s been lacking - leadership.

Am I an over optimistic fan? Probably, but that’s my view. Bring it on.
I agree that we're fitter and more determined. Our set piece has been better. I don't agree that the defence has improved though, far from it. I think the man in charge of that facet of our game is stealing a living to be quite honest, we're improving in many areas but getting worse in that area.
The defence is naiive, drilled by a man who has the job so we can keep his son. Simple as that.
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

Disappointed, but hopeful.
Too many mistakes - very bad and basic mistakes - to give any chance against a team like that Sale team.
Plenty of what might have beens.
Some key areas are coming along nicely. We had scrum ascendancy, though not domination. We had a functioning line out, apart from one call going spectacularly wrong, which is more than can be said for Sale with Lood de Jager.
We have Moroni, Van Wyk and Murimurivalu to come. We have Nandolo to get fit.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:40 pm What is clear to me after today is that you cannot play under the new interpretations without an out and out 7. After Wallace was headbutted out of the game ( :smt003 ) we never threatened their breakdown , until Ladygaga came on and as a result we didn’t win the ruck penalties that give you field position.
I think that Taufau , as good a player as he undoubtedly is , has not been as effective at the breakdown post lockdown and new law interpretations.
Completely agree on both points. Taufua has been a bit of a liability giving away stupid penalties at the breakdown. On flip side he’s been immense carrying. Post lockdown we’ve looked best with a proper 7, be either Reffell or Wallace. Be interesting when Brink and Wiese start playing.

With the new coaching set up, most matches we’ve been able to take positives. For me this maybe just a game to forget and move on. Going to be a slow build from the bottom up.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:21 pm
Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:40 pm What is clear to me after today is that you cannot play under the new interpretations without an out and out 7. After Wallace was headbutted out of the game ( :smt003 ) we never threatened their breakdown , until Ladygaga came on and as a result we didn’t win the ruck penalties that give you field position.
Completely agree on both points. Taufua has been a bit of a liability giving away stupid penalties at the breakdown. On flip side he’s been immense carrying. Post lockdown we’ve looked best with a proper 7, be either Reffell or Wallace. Be interesting when Brink and Wiese start playing.

With the new coaching set up, most matches we’ve been able to take positives. For me this maybe just a game to forget and move on. Going to be a slow build from the bottom up.
Wallace was a big loss today, shame and hope he’s back in time for Castres.. what a signing he’s proved to be :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:37 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:35 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:33 pm What are people’s opinions on Wallace’s injury, should Curry have been cited?
Nah. Accidental clash of heads. Interesting though he didn’t go off until much later.......unless I missed something.
He went off for something else later, no HIA for him
Sorry, he did go off for an HIA and didn’t come back. The TMO updated the ref.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Well somebody thinks the coaching team are getting something right...Steve Diamond after today's game:

"They are a different team now that Steve [Leicester head coach Steve Borthwick] has got hold of them. They fight for everything. It's the hardest game we've had this season."

And I am not a Steve Diamond fan, but I have to be fair.
Last edited by Scuttle on Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As Good As It Gets
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I’m normally ok with referees. If we lose, unless it’s a glaring error, it’s generally not because of the officiating. I think my main gripe was the touch judges. Very very picky. At one point we were penalised 3 times in about 20 seconds for debatable things. The breakdown is like the Wild West. Sale were sealing off the whole game.
I get that we’re building and it will take time, but what annoyed me was that we gave Sale easy territory by errors on the touch line and giving away crazy penalties. They made just 21 tackles in the first half !! That’s how much we pressurised them. Curry must have been on the bike at half time to warm up. It was too easy for them.

Comments about Nadolo not being in shape. Ridiculous. Are you getting inside information on his fitness stats ? No, thought not.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

If we can start to sometimes run the ball back instead of kicking it away so much I think we will begin to get more wins. I still think Henry has to start as he has that ability to sidestep and create space. Ford is a very good attacking fly half but isn’t given the freedom to play; likewise Youngs.
Sale had a tough game and most of the players they replaced( apart from Manu and later Faf) suffered, what looked like bad injuries.
The fitness is much improved and at the end at least the lads on the pitch believed they could win so, although I agree after a couple of attempts to run out of the 22 we could have booted it out: Tafua slipped just as the Sale defensive line was stretched. Shame.
It’s a free shot v Wasps then the must win games: beat Saints and Castres and there will be real signs of progress.
Then of course, we aren’t there to cheer the lads on. The sooner we can get to at least the home games, all the better.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I've been playing cricket all day, come back see the result, think that's a great performance against one of the top teams in the league, but we're slating the performance on here.

Let's be realistic we're not going to win a game just because we put out our strongest team, Sale put out their best team we pushed them close.

Look I may have missed something as I didn't watch it but I reckon we're on the right path
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

Not really sure how he could be, given he was the ball carrier. If anyone should be cited it would be Wallace, although this would be harsh in my opinion.

It always amazes me why when there is a clash of heads like that they aren’t both forced to take an HIA.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

dunc wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:20 pm
Not really sure how he could be, given he was the ball carrier. If anyone should be cited it would be Wallace, although this would be harsh in my opinion.

It always amazes me why when there is a clash of heads like that they aren’t both forced to take an HIA.
The impacts are reviewed by the independent doctor and team doctors on provided ipads with live feeds that can be played back and zoomed in. They can determine which parts took / or made the impacts and can pull the player off for a HIA......hence some dont get taken off for HIA.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk