Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Sale - 05 Sep 20

Post by tigerburnie »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:06 am
I think that's being over simplistic. Against Exeter, Gloucs and Sale the Tigers players, despite having been given a hard time in defence and conceding 4 or more tries, have still had the fight and energy to go chasing after what proved to be a lost cause. No heads going down and rolling over as often happened in previous seasons. At least give some credit where it's due.
I agree, last year we saw one or two trying and an awful lot losing heart, we do need to start winning though as losing is a bad habit to have, even if we are improving
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:50 pm Stats are here https://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstat ... gue=267979

Clare made 15 tackles missed 2.
As a 4th choice hooker (3rd at a push) he's a decent player.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:39 pm
chewbacca wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:11 am For the last couple of games we have scored points in the last quarter. Is this a sign of improved fitness and performance or merely that the opposition at that stage had secured the bonus point win and had substituted some significant performers. I think it would be more telling if we were competing for a win over the full 80 minutes. Agree with the comments re Hanro. Best performance yet.
It's because we've lost every game well before that...
I think that's being over simplistic. Against Exeter, Gloucs and Sale the Tigers players, despite having been given a hard time in defence and conceding 4 or more tries, have still had the fight and energy to go chasing after what proved to be a lost cause. No heads going down and rolling over as often happened in previous seasons. At least give some credit where it's due.
I agree with that. It's just that we don't look like scoring tries at the start of games when the opposition is fresh. It's only when they rack up massive leads and relax that we score tries - so I don't think we should be giving too much credit to the team either. Trying hard should be a given for a professional team.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Very disappointing that armchair critics are singling out players already for criticism with the game barely begun again, it will take time for our squad to settle and get used to playing as a team. We have been up against sides that have been together for some considerable time, we have new coaches and new players with new team selections, we need to get behind our players, not get on their backs.
We are in this for the long haul to put right the mistakes made in recent years, to recover and rebuild will not happen over night.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:33 am
Cardiff Tig wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:39 pm

It's because we've lost every game well before that...
I agree with that. It's just that we don't look like scoring tries at the start of games when the opposition is fresh. It's only when they rack up massive leads and relax that we score tries - so I don't think we should be giving too much credit to the team either. Trying hard should be a given for a professional team.
I suppose that that plus point is that the issues in the back line have, in effect, already been dealt with. 3 very decent players coming in soon which should help with the current deficiencies. Cannot be easy planning for the future when potentially nearly half of your starting backs for next season are not even at the club yet.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I can'y help wondering if some people actually watch the game before posting comments. On some messageboards Lavanini is credited with giving away more penalties than the stats show we conceded in total. Youngs and Ford did not have a mare, I think they may agree that things could have gone better but they certainly did not have bad games. Our forwards on the whole did pretty well, discipline was good, I think we only conceded 7 penalties about half of the number conceded by Sale. Steward I thought had a decent game, not everything perfect but a lot pretty good. We are not moving the ball through hands in the backs well enough but that should come when we are able to play with a consistent selection and players get used to the combinations. On the whole I am encouraged by what I have seen so far, some players still to arrive and some young guys showing improvement in just a few games, a win or two would be nice but I definitely get the feeling things are coming together.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:55 pm I can'y help wondering if some people actually watch the game before posting comments. On some messageboards Lavanini is credited with giving away more penalties than the stats show we conceded in total. Youngs and Ford did not have a mare, I think they may agree that things could have gone better but they certainly did not have bad games. Our forwards on the whole did pretty well, discipline was good, I think we only conceded 7 penalties about half of the number conceded by Sale. Steward I thought had a decent game, not everything perfect but a lot pretty good. We are not moving the ball through hands in the backs well enough but that should come when we are able to play with a consistent selection and players get used to the combinations. On the whole I am encouraged by what I have seen so far, some players still to arrive and some young guys showing improvement in just a few games, a win or two would be nice but I definitely get the feeling things are coming together.
Couldn't agree more.

We were told at the start not to expect too much too soon and I for one am pleased with the progress so far. Quick games with little chance to look in detail on the training field at the mistake made in the previous game; the need to rotate players who have had little time to train together; key players yet to join the squad; all this adds to the problems associated with building a new team. There has been progress and we have seen showcased some exciting young talent. It is just a matter of time before we start to win games on a regular basis.

In Bill's words 'keep the faith' :smt041
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Dear old Bill. I do miss him. And not just for the conversations on rugby.

I find it very difficult watching a game and staying truly objective when the adrenaline is running. You can't "oooh ah" in appreciation nor join in the banter of a large crowd when your sat on the settee. (or watching from behind as I did when watching early episodes of Dr who.)

Bill believed in keeping the faith. He also believed in backs running at angles and running at space rather than the collision (I hate that term), seeking contact.

The back division needs cohesion and I (for one, IMHO, and all that jazz) don't see how you can get that cohesion with the degree of rotation we are having to undergo.

Progress therefore, will necessarily be slow until we get a stable run of selection with some sensibly spaced games.

All that said, it does my blood pressure no good at all.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Oh, Big Dai, I couldn’t agree more about missing Bill. I try to keep the faith and I really do think there are signs of things getting better. Time will tell but I think we must stay positive.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

We don't want to show our hand to early. :smt002

Lure them into a false sense of security, then hit them when it matters. i.e. next season*...

*or european matches.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Honestly all I care about this season is the spirit and "fight in the dog"! Add to that team bonding and the musketeer"All for one...."
Do results really matter this season?

I have sen these signs.I have seen the performance rate increase. I have seen a defensive effort. I have seen players honestly angered by losing or poor mistakes.
I have seen set piece improve. Yes you may get timing wrong occasionally, but it is no longer the norm.
Loss of personnel.Change in coaches. Mass changes in squad. Exhaustive fixtures with rotation. Rotation causing its own issues.
Am I glad to be witnessing the new era. You be.t
Am I expecting great thing.You bet.
Am I patient. You bet I'm not. But I'll have to be cause "All good things come to those........"
So I am forgiving players getting it wrong every now and then to get it right for the future.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Well said Wellstiger! Out current weakness in the back line will improve with Van Wyk, Murimurivalu and Moroni to a top class level in time. Meanwhile the current backline will also get better with match experience, strengthening our depth in squad.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Bill Woodward RIP :smt038
"Keep the Faith" should be a chant, methinks.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:06 pm Bill Woodward RIP :smt038
"Keep the Faith" should be a chant, methinks.
+1
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"