Tigers vs Sale - 05 Sep 20

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Sale - 05 Sep 20

Post by MCC1964 »

Dokie wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:43 pm The constant sniping at each and every referee on here is nothing short of embarrassing and reveals a complete ignorance of the game.
A significant element of why we lost today had nothing to do with Ian Tempest. Rather, it was because Youngs and Ford, after almost turning around the game at Gloucester, both had an absolute mare.
There will be a stat somewhere showing how many times they kicked away possession, too long for our chasers to contest, inviting the Sale backfield to attack, putting us under pressure and hence the penalty count.
Let’s be honest and not blame others. We weren’t at our best but there were plenty of positive individual moments to pick out. Saints have nothing like the physicality of this Sale team and I’m hopeful we’ll win next week.
Today’s players will form the core of next season’s team so we need to give them time to gel, especially in attack. Let’s not put all our hopes on the players soon to arrive. Moroni and Muri should be great signings. I’ve never seen Brink or Wiese play so I don’t have an opinion on them. There’s been much hype on here about Van Wyk but I’m not sure why.
Or you could say that complete ignorance of the game is saying we played poorly due to two of our most experienced players having an ‘absolutely mare’ rather than acknowledging that a quality opposition pressurised (even experienced) players into rushing and therefore making mistakes. Personally I believe the main issue is that we are not yet functioning effectively as a unit as players and coaches get used to each other and new processes and tactics. Those early days are always going to be exposed by quality sides such as some of the teams we have played so far.

To me the embarrassing thing is the way we constantly round on our players. I’m not saying constructive criticism is a bad thing, I’m very much for it, but some of the abuse thrown around is totally uncalled for.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:49 pm I may be blinkered but all I see are positives in the context that while Sale are a very good powerful team and title contender with a complete game (Their FH is wonderful to watch), we are only a few games into recovery from a 5 year Malaise . SB is building the game from ground up (Quite literally the bottom of the league) and key players that are going to put us in an even better position have just arrived or haven’t yet arrived. If your the sort of person who wants to blame someone it may be worth aiming it at those who are no longer with us. MOC is a good start but he’s not the only one.

In this context, it’s pretty obvious in these first few games what SB and the coaches have instilled so far. Technically a better defence and set piece, particularly the line out. Physically better strength and conditioning. We clearly haven’t yet got to the stage of fancy attack combinations yet but we will. In golf terms we’re not yet playing with a full set of clubs while we rebuild our swing. But with each game we are adding a club and hitting the ball straight more consistently. No fancy shots yet.

More importantly, what I am seeing as a fan is a new (some would say a return to a previous) culture of grittyness, determination and hardness, and a squad where everyone from veteran to youngster wants to put their hand up. Sale may have beaten us because they are in a different place, but we once again never dropped our heads, dug in and fought back through old fashion hard work, and once more had more physical endurance at the end. Sale’s forwards will know they’ve been in a battle. As with Glaws we could have even won it - add on the fancy bits and the players having more time together and I only see this being the case. I call it one thing that’s been lacking - leadership.

Am I an over optimistic fan? Probably, but that’s my view. Bring it on.
I agree that we're fitter and more determined. Our set piece has been better. I don't agree that the defence has improved though, far from it. I think the man in charge of that facet of our game is stealing a living to be quite honest, we're improving in many areas but getting worse in that area.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
beech2

Post by beech2 »

trendylfj wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:02 pm Don't think Ford had a shocker - not good but certainly not a shocker. I was singing the praises of Nadolo before he came and at this moment in time, I was wrong - slow, hardly chased a thing, and looks totally out of shape. Not impressed
If his excellent offload in the first few minutes had been collected and not knocked on we would have got off to a great start.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don't think we are getting worse but I don't think our defence is improving either.
It feels that we are struggling in the same places in terms of defence.
Between 9 and 10 around the ruck.
13 and the outside channel.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

beech2 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:14 pm
trendylfj wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:02 pm Don't think Ford had a shocker - not good but certainly not a shocker. I was singing the praises of Nadolo before he came and at this moment in time, I was wrong - slow, hardly chased a thing, and looks totally out of shape. Not impressed
If his excellent offload in the first few minutes had been collected and not knocked on we would have got off to a great start.
Plus he’s solid over the ball, extra option at the breakdown
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

As poor a 60mins as you could wish to see but...

The character and fitness of the squad is there to see every game so far and we were within touching distance of an incredible comeback (again)

I thought Steward was our best threat in attack and despite errors looks like he could be the real deal

The tactic of kicking the ball away as soon as you win it is deeply frustrating particularly given that for the last 20mins we kept ball in hand, went through phases and scored some tries

Nadolo isn’t going to impact games if we play a kicking game like today

Hanro was excellent in a team struggling to cope with Sales power

Scott shows in flashes what he can bring and looks a shrewd buy

Like RB says Taute isn’t playing well enough at the moment and another reason why we aren’t threatening more across the backs

Less positives than recent weeks but still some to be had particularly in that last 20mins or so
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Go on.....tweet him (Nandolo)......you know you want to...
TigerintheCatStand
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TigerintheCatStand »

Would love to understand where our salary cap gets spent.......
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerintheCatStand wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:04 pm Would love to understand where our salary cap gets spent.......
Ford, Youngs, Genge, Nadolo, Taufua...
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Van Wyk is a finisher, if we leave him out on the wing whilst we aimlessly kick the ball in the air then we’re not going to see much of him. He’s not someone who is going to pop up in open play and cut teams open ala Veainu.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:18 pm Van Wyk is a finisher, if we leave him out on the wing whilst we aimlessly kick the ball in the air then we’re not going to see much of him. He’s not someone who is going to pop up in open play and cut teams open ala Veainu.
But Murimurivalu is!

Youngs Ford Nadolo Scott Moroni Van Wyk Murimurivalu with Potter, Porter, Henry, Steward to add depth.. should be a pretty strong back line if they can gel
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The turnover at the end summed the game up really, utter stupidity! No accuracy in kicking and attack was all over the shop!

At least Liebenberg was good though.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

What are people’s opinions on Wallace’s injury, should Curry have been cited?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:33 pm What are people’s opinions on Wallace’s injury, should Curry have been cited?
Seen them go both ways.. duty of care none existent for me so yes I believe so
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:33 pm What are people’s opinions on Wallace’s injury, should Curry have been cited?
Nah. Accidental clash of heads. Interesting though he didn’t go off until much later.......unless I missed something.